Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Midwife vs. OB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Midwife vs. OB

ok, i just called about 10 different ob/gyn offices in the area. we only have 3 hospitals that deliver babies...... and only one has waterbirthing. and not all ob/gyn offices are affilated with which hospital i choose. uhh, so confusing. ANYWAY..... sorry for rambling on............. what do you think about a birth with a midwife vs. an OB.............
tell me all you know........... im getting confused....... do midwives help you with breathing throughout labor? or maybe other techniques????     LET ME KNOW GIRLS....... I want to get everything to go like i plan on. (first pregnancy i saw like 3 or 4 diff docs. --- i couldnt connect with any of them........ I hope this time around will be different!!)
I've never had a midwife but from what I understand they are a lot like an ob.  Unless there is a complication requiring a doctor they do everything the ob does.  As far as helping out with the labor, I hear doulas are really good.  Again, I don't know how a midwife would be but I'm assuming she might be busy with other patients at the same time, much like a doctor.  
ok, thnx!!! anyone else???? input? advice??? Im leaning towards giving birth naturally this time around
IF you have a goal of an unmedicated/low intervention birth then Midwives and OB's are generally considered to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.  The thing about OB's is they see high risk patients day in and day out and I think it's much more common for them to view birth as a medical thing with many complications which it generally is not or should not have to be.  Midwives (in general) should be much more geared towards birth being a natural process.  As long as your pregnancy stays low risk you should be able to stay with the Midwife from start to finish.  I would expect they are much more apt to spend time with you in labor but part of that will depend on how busy they are etc.  You would have to ask them what is typical for them. The middle ground would be a family practice doctor that delivers.  Usually much less invasive and more laid back the most OB's.  That being said I"m sure there are fantastic OB's out there. OH and in my experience you're much more likely to have YOUR doctor or midwife deliver if you go with family practice or midwife, vs OB"s where generally you would get whoever is on call.  
I personally wouldn't entrust my prenatal care to anyone other than an OB - but that's just me....I know many women who have had amazing experiences with midwives.  

I know that a lot of people come down on doctors for being impersonal, pressuring their patients, treating pregnancy as thought it's a disease....but I've never felt that way with my doctor.  

I think that the main thing is that you trust whoever is providing your care, whether they are an OB or a midwife.  And, as marie1210 said, if what you're looking for is additional support throughout labour, I think that you'd likely want to hire a doula....
I really don't think it is a midwife vs OB thing, it is more of a personal connection thing. I have an OB who has midwife's in her practice and I love them all. Neither the OB or the midwife's have ever pressured me about anything one way or the other. The goal is to find someone you are happy and comfortable with and one that will follow YOUR birth plan as much as possible.
When i was preggo i went to an office that had several midwives and a few ob/gyn (which i never even saw) but they did let all of the midwives meet me on diff visits just so it wouldnt be a complete stranger delivering. there is really not much of a diff between the 2 if it is a simple delivery, ob's mostly do the complicated deliveries. Also you will sometimes get whom ever is on call that day/night
There are huge differences between midwives and obstetricians. Also, please note that there are a few different kinds of midwives. You would want a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM).

Midwives will remain with you during your labor; OBs usually only appear when it is time to push or if they need to come to check on your dilation and progress.

Midwives can and do deliver in your own home; an OB would not.

Midwives are more into natural births, including waterbirths; most OBs are not. This is where you have to be picky if it's important to you to have a natural/waterbirth. There are a few gems of OBs who do appreciate natural births and some hospitals are opening up to the idea of waterbirth!

Midwives are more into trying things naturally before augmenting you (inducing). They will wait as long as possible for your body to go on its own because they know starting cervix softeners (Cervidil, i.e.) and Pitocin can lead to other complications.

Midwives typically have really, really low c-section rates. My midwife's c-section rate was less than 4% whereas my OB's was around 36-40%! That is almost half of every birth resulting in a ceserean and that is absolutely ridiculous. We're the ONLY country that cuts women like we do.

Midwives are a lot less expensive than an OB, even more so if you give birth in your own home. Please note that home birth, for a low risk woman who has a medical professional present, is actually proven to be safer than birth in a hospital. It has been proven countless times and I can provide MANY references. More women and babies die in hospitals in America on labor and delivery than anywhere else in the world. My husband wasn't comfortable doing our birth at home and our midwife delivered at a hospital so we made compromises- I got the midwife and he got the safety net of having a hospital  with an OB down the hall.

If I remember correctly you're the one who watched The Business of Being Born, right? If so I must tell you that everything in that video is completely accurate.

I've given birth with an OB twice and a midwife once. I wish I would've had a midwife at every birth! Are there bad midwives? Yes. Have bad things happened to women under the care of a midwife? Yes. But NOT nearly as much as they've happened to women with an OB.

Here's something else important to note: midwives have more knowledge and experience in birth than obstetricians do. Not long ago it wasn't uncommon for a young doctor to come out of medical college without ever having witnessed a live birth. They don't know what womens' bodies can do.

OBs are WONDERFUL... but in surgical and emergent situations. They truly are surgeons and great at what they do WHEN they are needed. Otherwise the Midwifery Model of Care (google it) is what a low-risk woman truly needs during her labor to ensure the best possible outcome to herself (emotionally, physically, mentally and hormonally) and to baby.
And P.S. Midwives, in my opinion, care more about women health and birthing babies than many OBs. Not ALL OBs are like that. But for the majority they want to get you in, get you out and get you delivered ASAP. Midwives take their time, some meet in your home, they know your kids' names and your professions, etc., etc. I just think the care is overall a lot better and more personal.

When I had my post partum visit the midwives were passing my baby around and coddling her and I could just tell BABIES is what they were all about. I never ever once had an OB do that. They'd kind of half smile at the baby and then get down to business.
I forgot to answer your questions- yes, a midwife can and does help you throughout your labor. They will help you cope with pain. I was working through a contraction and I had my eyes screwed shut. It was a particular strong contraction and I started to lose my breathing so the midwife showed me a different way to breathe and I instantly calmed down. She also put counter pressure on my lower back during contractions (FELT GREAT).

If you really want labor support you can hire a doula. Many people say they don't want a "stranger" in their room but honestly you get to know your doula throughout your pregnancy and they're hardly a stranger by that point. They are just excited as seeing your baby born as you are.

Midwives will also help you with techniques on alleviating pain by using water, birth ball, squat bar, even the toilet! Yes, the toilet is a great place to sit while in labor. They are with you as soon as they can get there and unless an emergency pops up they'll remain there with you until the end!
WOW THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!! NOw i definatly know that i rally would prefer a midwife over ob anyday. i am looking for a good relationship with whoever will care for the baby and i. =) I can keep reading about this!!! so interesting.
thanks joyrenee I was wondering along the same lines. I don't see an ob but you did answer and give us some wonderful advice. I am due in a month or sooner and this being my first I will need all the advice possible since I have no idea what it will really feel like.
m3lanie- you are due in about a month? I would definitely try to find someone to start talking to ASAP about your birthing plans. If you want to have a natural birth then it does take some planning and figuring out what you'll do if X happens. And to learn coping techniques if you do not wish to use pain medication. Contractions hurt.

MOST OBs (and I do say most) treat birth like an infection- as something to be treated. The truth is that women were born to give birth. Our pelvises are unique, our organ (the uterus) is unique in that it is the only one to expand and shrink as it does and we have the ability to grow and house an entire little human inside of us. What happened before OBs? Women gave birth with midwives.

Have mortality rates decreased? Yes! Because we have more knowledge. We know how to diagnose things like pre-eclampsia and placenta previa so that we can prevent the unthinkable.

High risk women truly do need OBs. They are a necessity. For for a low-risk woman the more interventions that are thrust upon her (fetal monitoring, Pitocin, artificially breaking the water before her body is ready, etc.) can put her in a position where she is very vulnerable and at high risk for major complications which can lead to ceserean. Just watch A Baby Story.

It is common today and "the norm" for a woman to end up in the hospital in labor (or show up for induction) and she is feeling good and working through contractions. But then they do X to her and then they decide to Pit her because she is not progressing within a certain time limit. Because of X and the Pit then Y happens. No longer do you see a woman laboring to bring her baby into the world but a hungry and thirsty woman laying prostrate on the bed no longer in control of what her body is doing.

I must also mention that midwives are more likely to allow you to birth in a position other than lithotomy (on your back or semi-sitting). The lithotomy position is not a natural position to birth in and is only to give the doctor optimal view of the baby coming out. Sorry but your child's birth shouldn't be about the doctor's comfort. What needs to happen is for the woman to listen to her body and get into a position that feels right to her (usually squatting or on hands-and-knees). The positions I just mentioned are OPTIMAL for your pelvis for opening wide for baby to descend. Squatting shortens the length of the vagina and opens the pelvis so it is a great position to birth in.

Another thing is that the lithotomy position increases your risks of tearing. It is harder to push in this position as well. And don't even get me started on pushing by holding your breath and counting to 10.

I wish both of you much luck in finding a suitable care provider during your pregnancies!
The hospital I'll be giving birth in has a high success rate in natural births ( they don't offer epidural since it prolongs birth but as a last resort it is there ) the midwives here are great and very much there the whole time to help if you need it before and during the big moment. Let me put it this way.. It is like a factory line where the babies are born rather fast and that's thanks to the midwives here. I already do alot of squatting since it helps take pressure and discomfort away for me and most definately toilet sitting - my hips and pelvis feel like theyre falling apart and it is more so in the evening when she's moving around. My partner, he puts pressure on my lower back right across my butt cheeks  and rubs hard when im on my all fours or squatting. Huge help. I am planning and want all natural birth so I'm getting very prepared. Thanks JoyRenee for such helpful information. Now that's a CM for ya :)
WAIT it's CL but CM works too lol. I forgot to mention that they do provide pain management at this hospital in drug form ( there is a list you can chose from - gas being one option but not sure about the rest.. think another was morphine. Just something to take the edge off ) well before they would even come close to giving someone epidural. 1 of my friends just had her son 3 weeks ago and she said she was only in labour 3 hours and had no drugs at all. It wasn't a walk in the park by no means but she had support and techniques which helped.
I couldn't agree MORE with EVERYTHING you said.  Thanks for taking the time to share and write in such an understandable, caring way.
i personally wouldn't chose a midwife because they are not doctors. when i deliver i want a doctor by my side that can handle any situation should it arise. midwives are essentially nurses, and that does not make me feel safe or feel my child is getting the best care. bedside manners are not the most important aspect of delivering your child.
You really nead to do a little more research on you just said. Just so you know MANY ob/gyn have NEVER experianced a natural birth, most of them know how to give you pitocin and an epidural, and better yet a c-section. FOR EXAMPLE; you go into labor, not moving along as quickly as the doc prefers, gives you pitocin, painful, u request epidural,  they give you such a high dose of pitocin, your child starts going into stress............. its not the labor itself.  It was the ob/gyn doc. that started this whole problem................and that is EXACTLY why the c-section rate is at 46%............ GET the facts before you post something like that. Midwives on the other hand have witnessed thousands of normal healthy births. which is the way nature intended things to be.  I personally dont care what degree a person will have just so they are knowledgeable in what they are doing, noooo NOT from books or "school" but from real- life experiances..........  AND midwives have way more knowledge and take more training geared towards labor, then any ob. yes they obviously are needed for an ER c-section, but no they are absolutly not nessary for labor, JUst SO u know, and dont be alarmed YOur DOCTOR WILL NOT HELP U WITH LABOR, he will just come in to see how open u are. and when u gotta push. If your idea of an ob/gyn is that he will be ur night in shining armor, u are mistaken!!!! i had an ob/gyn, i regret it now.he popped in to say hi how u doin. and left......... came back in when baby was out. you know who deliverfed my baby ?????------ a midwife! =)
and yes that is how the majority of ob/gyn's treat their patients........... dont be expecting a different kind of treatment, likei said they specialize with high risk/ c-section patients. if you are looking for natural birth and ob would not be your choice. read what joyrenee said on thsi post............ i just kinda got offended how you think thatif someone chose a midwifde that it is not the best "care" for a child.---- its not true.......... the best 'care' is when u choose someone who will help you embrace the fact that you are having a child, not someone who is eager to just get his job done.
I live in Canada, and midwives are rarely used here, in fact I wouldn't even know where to find one to be honest! Its very interesting to read about how different people's experiences are depending on where they are from ect.
My son (now 4) was 11 days overdue. I was induced by first breaking my water, then a pitocin IV. At 6 cm I had an epidural, and after 4.5 hours of labour my son was born with no complications. I have complete faith in my OB (I am seeing the same one for our 2nd baby, due in July) and I will start seeing him at 16 weeks.
I am wondering if midwives will become popular here at some point? Again, its so interesting how different things are :)
yeah, i know!!!!! since ob's are so popular in america the death rate for both mother and child is also SECOND highest in the world. HOW SAD!
Yes, we do have the second highest mortality rate in America and yet we are one of the most powerful nations in the world.

As to another comment above- midwives are not essentially nurses. They are very skilled and knowledgeable in pregnancy and birth alone. It is all that they do. They devote their lives to bringing children into the world as safely as possible. I know that you may have had a bad experience with one. But you cannot label an entire field of people as being "bad" based on one story alone. That is like saying, "I'll never fly in a plane because there's ONE story where the pilots fell asleep and the plane overshot their destination" because there are so many good pilots out there (like the one that safely landed in the river and saved every life on board). We get into deep trouble when we label entire peoples (Holocaust, slavery, etc.).
m3lanie- oh okay! I'm glad to know you are already preparing and doing all you can to have the birth you want. From the previous comment you had made I assumed you hadn't. Good for you and your husband! He should be very proud of you.

I get a little irritated when people are against birth plans. I personally didn't have birth plans with my first two births. I wrote a birth plan this last one and everything went just as planned. When people say, "Don't get your hopes up too high! Things can change..." Well that is because you're giving birth where there is a domino effect of things happening to you that can drastically change the course of your plans. If you keep it simple and use as few interventions as possible then you very well can and should have the desired birth outcome pending there are no other conditions (dropping blood pressure, for example) that rise up.
JoyRenee - oh I've wanted a natural child birth all
along and  have been reading lots but nothing can prepare you for the real deal  especially in my case being my first time. I really do not know how it feels or truely know what to expect.. That is why your posts are a huge help and I can compare notes
with my research and put it to good use.

Tido08- I'm in canada too and we have a labour and delivery ward at the hospital and the women in that whole ward are classed as midwives that look like they are nurses or doctors wearing typical scrubs. The actual Doctors get paged when needed, they are not there the whole time like the trained midwives are that are educated enough to qualify to help deliver a baby.
i LOVE reading what you have to say, your always right to the point!!!!!!!! and im soo happy i posted this up, cuz i have gotten a lot of info im not sure i wouldve noticed it on the web!!!!! this is great!!!!! now where is that BFP??????  ;) cant wait, and guess what no one even knows we want a 2nd!!!!!! i am trying SO hard not to spill it to my momma!!!
i never said that they were bad or unknowledgeable or anything of the sort, simply that i would prefer someone delivering my child with an ob license. and i never said a midwife wouldn't be the best care for a child, i simply said bedside manners aren't the most important thing. i think you should fully read my comment before you attack me.
Worrieddd612- so your ob is with you the whole time helping you breath, and give you all the support like a midwife or doula? That's great never new obs did that. Ive always been taught that doctors only come at the end when it is time to push. I would hate to be labouring in pain for hours til a doctor popped in for a second to check me and then run off. I'm glad that I'll have a midwife around to support me the whole time.. Here they call a doctor for precautionary  reasons when it is time to push but the midwife is there the whole time as I mentioned.
I guess I view this a little differently than most, though neither view is wrong in my opinion. I do NOT want a medical professional in the room with my while I labor unless there is a reason for them to be there. My DH and my mom are my support staff during labor. They both know the breathing techniques and I am never hooked up to any machines. I can get up and walk, sit on a ball, get into the tub, ect...and I don't need a nurse, OB, or midwife to do help me with it. Yes, my OB and the nurses come to check on me, it's their job, but for the most part I labor without them. I am not a person who like people hovering over her and I trust in my body to do what is needed.

The hospital I go to is very supportive of a woman's choices on how they want to labor and deliver. You do not have to lie in a bed if you do not choose to. You can birth in basically any position you want to, even in the tub (as long as there is no medical condition, of course).

While I love my OB AND the midwife's in the practice, I don't think one is technically better than the other. They all have their pros and cons and it's a personal decision on who YOU choose. I really love the fact that my hospital and my OB and the midwife's, gives you the 'home feeling' while still  being in the hospital in case something happens. There are bad and good in any profession and the best thing a person can do is to educate themselves and choose what they are comfortable with.

Just a little story. When my son was born, he was facing up instead of down. Some doctors may have said to do a c-section as it would be far easier than a vaginal delivery. My OB wouldn't even think about it. Her c-section rate is very,  very low. She told me that there would be more pain, even with the epidural I CHOSE to have. It was actually the midwife that was more worried than the doctor. She was the one that first brought up a c-section. I know that not all midwife's will do this, but this particular one did. My OB said that unless I or the baby was in distress, the best way to deliver was vaginally and I completely agree. At that point she stayed with me for the duration and coached me though the different positions to make the delivery easier. I would have hated to think that I would have been cut just because it would have been easier for someone else.

This is just my story and what happened to me. I know that not every situation is like this one and yes, for the most part an OB is more apt to offer medical intervention and a midwife tends to do things more natural, but like everything else in life, there are exceptions and it is our job as educated woman to find someone that agrees with out values, whichever one it happens to be. :)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a midwife to deliver a baby from a healthy woman experiencing no complications. I had absolutely no complications or danger signs, and I was actually contemplating a natural, mid-wife delivered home birth. If i had done that, I would be dead.

Contrary to popular belief, the epidural does not NECESSARILY slow down labor (although it can, i understand). My active labor contractions lasted 2 hours, and I pushed for about 15-20 minutes. My pushes were very strong and, yes, I did feel pain but it was manageable. I also felt myself tear, but not nearly as bad as I would have had I been without an epidural. I think I would have been sick with pain instead of holding my baby girl if I wasn't on the epidural. My OB saved my life by transferring me to the OR immediately after delivery and literally walking at my side holding the needle and thread in his hand so he wouldn't lose any time trying to start a new sewing loop. But for whatever reason, I bled out so far and so severely that when I stabilized after they closed the tear, I was at BP 60/40. Almost dead, and darned lucky that I was in a situation that allowed me instant medical treatment with a person experienced in ALL complications and qualified to handle the situation.

I am NOT saying midwives are a bad choice, at all. They do care more than OBs and they WILL spend more time at your side than an OB, hands down. They are more personable (in most cases) and they are more dedicated to keeping your wants and wishes foremost in the birthing plan. They are also very competent in most medical emergencies and can stabilize you in MOST emergency situations, but not all.

All I'm saying is...if I had gone home-birth, natural, with a midwife like I originally wanted, I would be dead, and there were NO signs to point to something like this. There was no reason to expect that complication. So my fear (which is what led me to a hospital birth with an OB) saved my butt.

I won't lie, my OB was a pain in the rear end. But it was worth it, and I won't take another risk this time around. If you really want someone with the personality of a mid-wife but the medical expertise of an OB, considering choosing an OBGYN who is a DO instead of an MD. they are RARE and hard to find, but I think that they are the best compromise possible. But again, if you really really prefer bed-side manner then DEFINITELY go with a mid-wife, there is no comparison, and your birthing experience will be pleasant and, barring unforeseeable complications (which is the big problem, I think) absolutely fine and healthy. I was afraid, so I went OB, and I'm not being dramatic when I say it is the only reason I'm still here. Coward? sure. Alive? yep. Hehe, and consider; my best friend has had 3 home births (one without any medical intervention on accident, and 2 with midwives). We have interesting debates, LOL
I adore my OB and could not be happier with my decision to have him deliver me when the time is right.  
I am very lucky with my OB. I have his cell phone number and he stresses to me to contact him anytime I have a question or a concern.  He is all for natural childbirth and against unecessary C-sects...  I however did my first delivery without pain meds and for me do not wish to repeat that. I want an epid once I hit the 5cm mark.  Once in labor he remains on the L&D floor...  He respects the birth plan set by his patients and his bedside manner is awesome. The guy is an absolute hoot.

It is a very personal choice btwn a midwife and an OB and neither decision is the wrong one. Choose whoever makes you feel most secure and happy.

Good Luck!
Would he travel to Florida for a delivery? hehe just kidding :D
i dont really know how to explain myself on this one....im sure im probably just being an emotional, hormonal freak (excuse me, its been that kind of a week) but this post sort of makes me feel like im making a crappy decision. i wanted an as close to all natural birth as possible and i wanted a midwife and a very calm quiet delivery and i wanted to avoid a C-section at all costs...But, i have a rare medical condition that makes it so i Can't choose a midwife...they take one look at my chart and shutter. i have to see a high risk OB with all of my children weather i like it or not.....i will NEVER get to experience a "normal" ..."healthy",,,,"natural" delivery. it hurts my feelings that those of you who think midwifes are the best way think its the only way to have a natural delivery because here i am talking with everyone in my clinic to try and get the most natural birth that i can and you guys going on raving about how natural and amazing having a midwife is sort of makes me feel like you are looking down on those of us who dont have one....or who cant have one. and i know you say that OB's are here for high risk/ c-section patients and thats what there good for but then its  like ....thats your one line,,,thats all there good for. well what about the ones who actually dont have a choice...id like to hear great things about OB's too because this is the only way i can ever go and you guys jumping up and down about how amazing midwives are and how s hitty Ob's are does not make me feel like im gonna have a very awesome birth experience because according to you guys he wont have any bedside matter and will treat me like s hit. so thats great. because my medical condition keeps me from a midwife i wont get any bedside manner and will regret that forever?
i dont want to personally attack anyone but im just please asking that maybe some of you think about those of us who HAVE to have it this way....who arent aloud to make a choice. i have a clinic with 10 high risk ob's i wont know who will actually deliver me on that day and i have 4 specialists involved in my pregnancy...but i deserve to have a baby and my birth plan isnt wrong...even if it isnt much of a plan :(
No matter what anyone in these posts have said, you are making the RIGHT decision for you and your baby. As I have said in my previous posts, my OB is fantastic. She has a great bedside manner and will do anything possible to follow my birth plan.

It all boils down to one thing...having a healthy baby. That's it, nothing more. The rest is icing on the cake. You do not have a choice between OB and midwife, but the bottom line is always the same. A baby. You have a medical condition beyond your control and the health of your baby is FAR more important than a person's title.

There is no way any delivery cannot be "natural". I have always disliked that term as it does make those that cannot do it a certain way feel less. If that baby comes out of you, whether it be vaginally, c-section, induced, medicated, or otherwise, it is natural and don't let people make you feel bad about it.

I'll tell you something. You know what I remember most about my delivery? It wasn't the person that actually delivered my son or the title of that person or how they spoke or anything like that. It was his very first cry and seeing that wonderful sweet face. That is the miracle of birth. However we get there, that is what it is all about. :)

thank you, i really appreciate your post...it made me tear up a little...lol again with the hormones....but thank you.
it really hit home with how im feeling.
In sorry you feel the way you do and I wish things were different for you and many in you situation. In the back of our minds mine for sure... Speciaists are needed for high risk and obviously a natural child birth isnt for everyone like in your situation. Evrything stated above is true though but we all know that not all obs are bad, it is just as a whole that naturally delivery is best unless you are high risk and you can't just hide things incase it may hurt somones feelings and not cater to no risk be only worry about high risk. Everyones opinions here seem to cater to both I for one am not high risk and am quite capible of having a natural birth. I 'need' to hear(read) the things mentioned above. It is common sense that high risk needs doctors and extra care and we all know this. I am sorry it bothers you however and I wish you well and I am sure you will be in good hands. This is it first and I want a natural birthing experience.
My previous birth experiance i basically had no control over it, i didnt know how to control it......... i never did research on how a midwife or ob differ from one another. i too once thought that an ob just delivers babies, not that they are mostly for high risk patients. This was posted up here just to here everyones opinion on how there birth went with either a CNM or OB. If you have never delivered then obviously you dont know the difference yet................... Bc you do not know what your doctor/ob will try to convince u with or how that doctor will stick with your birth plan...................... that was the sole purpose of this post............  ;)    any more thoughts girls ;) everyones experiance isSO diferent!!!! wow......
Just a comment: being 41 weeks - clearly overdue - I was induced using Cervidil then given Pitocin, my water was broken and, ultimately, I needed an epidural (the choice was completely mine, it wasn't thrust upon me).

My son was NEVER  in distress, not for a minute the entire time. In fact, my labour nurse (who was with me the entire time, along with DH) commented that he was so stable that it was almost as though he didn't know he was about to be born. He certainly wasn't stressed!  In addition, my labour never stalled out, it progressed wonderfully.  When DS was born, he was bright eyed and alert.  
thats great!!!! well, it IS bc of pitocin/epidural that c section is where it is today 46%
I don't think the pitocin/epidural is the cause, I think that it's because of insurance reasons, which is a (pardon the language, or rather the stars) damn ****** reason to give somebody a c-section. My mother-in-law is an OB nurse and she says she's seen several cases where a woman was given a c-section because it was actually less risky on paper than a vaginal delivery, even though she didn't have complications that indicated CLEARLY the need for a c-section. It's absolute CRAP.

If you do choose an OB, do research and make sure that the c-section rate of that doctor is acceptable and low, because sometimes doctors do it just to speed things up, which is AWFUL.

that being said, I will still always go OB because I consider it safer.

Sunkissed:::: OMG do not feel bad about your decision. I went through so much pain with my kidney stones in the last few months that I was terrified of labor and that's what led me to choose OB and epidural delivery....I wouldn't change a darn thing. Just because you choose to be in a hospital, possibly using meds, doesn't diminish your experience or lessen the effort you will go through to bring your baby into this world....you are making the RIGHT decision, just like a woman who chooses a midwife is making the RIGHT decision, because it all depends on each of us and what we feel is right. <3 I know how you feel though women who do it naturally sometimes do tend to look down on those of us who don't.

Also they used pitocin for about 2 hours with me until my contractions got up to speed, and I had an epidural, and my daughter was born with a perfect APGAR, bright-eyed and looking around alertly from moment 1....and my pushes were just what they needed to be (peaking flat), and I actually felt the pain (dulled down obviously) so I don't think epidurals or pitocin are as evil as people think. I think it depends on the doctor and the woman's physiology.
I was also induced with pitocin at 38 weeks and my labor progressed beautifully.  Went so quickly in fact that there was no time for an epid.  Most likely will be induced this pregnancy as well.  This time I have requested an epid as well....  I do not have any fear of a C-sect being needed....    It is amazing how I see certain "facts" pop up about C-sect rates etc... I have worked in Ob-Gyn off and on for 13 years... Sometimes what you ladies post is news to me... I often mention it to fellow collegues and they just shake their heads in utter disbelief..
Shake their heads they may but just because one office has a beautiful team doesn't mean all of the ob-gyn offices around the world are as perfectly beautiful. I've read lots of posts over the months on how HORRIBLE ob-gyns or the lack their of support they can be and so people deserve to be informed of this and stats don't lie unless ones own opinion wants to override it but that isn't reality that's fantasy land. What is no fantasy land is what's good for one isn't always good for another. It is true not all ob-gyns are bad but many don't have a great bedside manner either and that's a fact. (personal experience thru a friend who was high risk. my eyeballs saw this first hand).
WELL, i was also induced, to add to everyones good story......... i was induced 2wk early, given pitocin, asked for epidural, the contfractions were unbearable, too long, not enouf in between...... got epidural, they up'd my pitocin, and baby started having bad reaction, contractions too strong, too lobg, i mean 2min long half miun in between, i told them to lower it bc baby wasnt reacting well to it. GOOD THING I DID. THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD ME BABY IS HAVING BAD "REACTION" to the labor--------------- which is SO NOT the case. good thing i was ready to push at that point, and she was out within min............ i think it took 2 contractions.    it is not the pit/epi fault for c section, when u have epidural they up ur pit, which causes baby heart rate to go down! that was my point, and they request er c section........................
WELL "certian facts" i wonder if u really think i would make this up.......... look it up ANYWHERE............... these facts dont just "pop" up anywhere.......... this is statistics im talking about........... personally i could care less where you worked............... look at what research gives you.  46% is a FACT!! -------- if you have something to say.............. just say it directed towards me...........  And your "obgyn" office needs some new updating.
Oh watch the documentary "the business of being born" ----- new research that was done past 2 or 3 yrs............ need i say more?
that's very true m3lanie :) I actually didn't like my OB but he definitely saved my life, and it was worth it to me. I had my delivery nurse with me the entire time so I don't feel like I was stuck with bad bed-side manner, because my doctor truly DID come just in time to "catch", but he also came just in time to save my be-hind! hehe

but yeah not all OBs are good or bad, however not all midwives are competent enough to stabilize in emergency situations either while a lot of them are...so it's all a toss-up and it depends on what makes you feel most comfortable.

julianovak I don't think quinns momma was being rude or accusatory she's always very polite....
but I do think that the increased c-section rate is caused by the increase in obesity. obese (or heavily overweight) women are HIGHLY more likely to require a c-section even without the added problem of additional complications for many reasons.....so you might want to take the obesity rate into account when considering why the c-section rate has increased?
i dunno but I thought about that when I read your reply :)

thank you for your understanding...im actually not scared of the labor part (yet anyway lol) i havent really worried about it at all. its the rest of my pregnancy that scares me...the things that could go wrong. my Ob hasnt said that i have to have a c-section or anything so far as far as we know i can have a very normal vaginal delivery...and i innitially wanted to do it without pain meds but i also want it to be somewhat of an enjoyable experience, i want to be calm for my husband and my baby. So, im going to take it as if im handling it okay than no epi...if im not then ill get one. my DF said something i thought was very clever....when i asked him what he would do if he had to give birth (mind you i cant even get this man to take tylonel for a headache) he said he would get an epidural and i said "you would, why?" he replies with "well you obviously know its gonna hurt like hell...not one person says it doesnt...why would you go into something knowing its gonna hurt like hell and not try and lessen some of that pain if you had the choice" and i said but wouldnt you be more proud of me and think i was sooo brave? and he said "honey, in my opinion thats not brave, its stupid. its like not filling out the extra credit on an exam" and then he went on to say "your bringing my baby into the world....my son...no matter how you do it you will be my hero"
i also think the obesisty rate should be taken to account...you make a very good point on that one.
Yes, obesity, induction, and some people actually just have an elective c section........ i guess in a way you dont have to worry how the labor process will go............ i mean the pain and pushing, but then again many ppl do not understand c sections are considered major surgery.................. not to mentian the pain you will have at the incision site yrs down the road............. MANY women can PREVENT a c section. but they may not know that......... i just wish women were more educated with this crazy number......... 46%???? i couldnt believe it either. i mean 46% thats not "emergency"................ maybe 15% of it is...............
Believe me if I have something to say to you directly I will not hesitate to do so.  I certainly was not directing this to you. I truly wish you the best.

Also I do not work with just one ob-gyn office. I work with multiple offices throughout the US as part of a Special Investigations Unit of fraudulent practices.  A particular review that I conduct for the insurance companies is the fradulent overuse for c-sections.  So I am very well educated on percentages.

oh ok......... well 46% is the latest number i believe. honestly. this was a documentary by rikki lake, and some other lady.........
I agree with your husband that if the only reason you are wanting a natural birth is so you can be brave then no, that's not a good reason.  We chose to go natural (3 times now) in a hospital setting.  But I chose to do so because of what I saw as the snowball effect of interventions.  It seemed like every friend I talked to got the epidural, then their blood pressure dropped so they pushed fluids, then the labor stalled so they pushed pitocin, then they wanted to monitor the baby better so they used an internal monitor, the mom had a catheter put in as she couldn't get up to use the bathroom, then in half the cases mom delivered ok but in the other half they ended up doing a c-section for failure to progress or stress to the baby. Also in many of the vaginal births they reduced the epi or it ran out around the time of delivery to so many of the moms "felt" the pain of delivery which under unmedicated circumstances is much less painful due to the adrenaline your body produces to help you get through labor which you don't get once you take pain meds. I also don't think it's wise to go in for a natural birth without fully preparing yourself.  We made sure to be highly educated and took a 12 week natural birth class.  They were very honest that labor is called labor because it's the hardest work you will ever do.  But they were right that the pain is "different".  It's not the same as the pain you get when you break an ankle or cut your hand.  It's pain with a purpose and if you can stay calm and work though contractions one at a time it can often be very well managed.  BUT you have to want it for the right reasons.  I don't think wanting to be brave would last very long once labor began if there was no other reason or preparation.  Regardless I hope you have an amazing birth experience no matter what you choose.  I think every woman needs to do the research and make a decision that she is comfortable with knowing the possible consequences of whatever she decides.  And I don't think a woman should EVER feel like a failure if the desire for a natural birth doesn't work out.  I just wanted to share my experience with you incase you had not heard from anyone about the interventions and typical scenarios that can be very common with medicated.   That was the biggest factor for motivating me to go unmedicated. THat being said after I gave birth without meds for the first time I felt like there was NOTHING I couldn't do.  It was extremely empowering. Good luck!!
Just thinking out loud (or rather on the keyboard) but I'm trying to run the numbers in my head...somewhere around 35% of americans are considered obese....okay so cut that number in half for women..you're talking 17.5%.

Add the percentage of women who are overweight but not obese and the number goes WAY up. Something like 56% (of americans at least) are obese or overweight, using BMI calculators.

Considering that not every one of those women will have a baby, but many will, you can look at approximately 35-40% of women giving birth are overweight or obese....so let's assume that maybe 25% of c-sections are done on obese/overweight women with no other complications but who have difficult or non-progressive deliveries because of their weight....that leaves 21% (give or take) of c-sections that are due to emergency complications NOT weight related, or elective c-sections. A lot of c-sections are done because a previous c-section was performed and VBAC is considered high risk...so we'll assume that of that 21%, 8% are repeat c-sections in order to avoid a risky VBAC. that would leave, like julianovak said, about 13% of c-sections done for emergency complications that arise.

If you really think about it, it all makes sense. While the number is staggering if left alone, if you break down the numbers and analyze the actuality of pregnancy in America, you realize that our poor living styles and seriously unhealthy choices are probably the biggest contributor, not doctor litigation or politics. That being said, as I've stated before, I think doctors are RIDICULOUSLY quick to choose c-sections and that needs to stop, but I think a goodly percentage of them are due to other factors that may or may not be controllable by the women themselves.

I do think women need more education on avoiding unnecessary c-sections, ABSOLUTELY! but maybe the 46% isn't as surprising as it might be, if we think about all the underlying factors?

Sunkissed- as another commenter said you have to make the best decision for your particular situation. As I've already mentioned- OBs are VERY necessary and very important in high risk situations. I am merely talking about low-risk women. They shouldn't have to be put through the things they are put through (unless they choose to or have something going on where they NEED to have them done). Midwives aren't the only good people out there to catch babies. There are many, many OBs who are good as well.

And while things can go from low-risk to deathly (as Ashelen's story) midwives who catch babies in womens' homes have to be prepared for every little problem that can arise, such as hemorrhaging. But the percentage of something like that happening is so low. Obviously people don't want to be caught on the wrong side of that percentage and that's why each woman and her partner need to make the best decision regarding their birth choices (hospital vs. birth center vs. home).

Good luck to all of you preggy mommas! All I ask is that you do your research. If your OB is open to natural birth and that is what you want then I don't want you to feel that anything said here means you're making a bad decision. Everyone HAS to make the best choice for themselves.

I've never had a midwife.  Only things I have seen on TV documentaries or read about is what I know of midwives.  I do know that women tend to use them if they want to do the all natural thing, etc.  And you can do that in a hospital as well.  No one can MAKE you get pain meds.  I don't care if you are in a hospital or not.  They can't MAKE you do anything.

I certainly have nothing against someone wanting to take the natural approach.  That is every woman's perogative to do what they feel is best for THEM.  But my preference is in a hospital w/ an OB.  That's just me and that is what I have done all 6 times.  But I do like to have my epidural!  I have done the natural thing but it was not by my choice.  It was because I went into labor on a Sunday and they sent me home after only 1 hour of not progessing.  So I sat there and labored at home all day long.  Not fun!  Infact, that was probably my worst labor experience of all 6.  I don't enjoy being in pain.  I prefer to enjoy the birthing process.  And enjoying the birthing process for me, is w/ as little pain as necessary.  One of the things they use in hospitals (just an example) is Pitocin.  It is a synthetic hormone that our body already produces naturally anyway.  That is what causes us to go into labor.  It's pretty natural if you ask me.  Again, that is just ME.

I will say that right before I had my last baby (almost 4 months ago), I had to have a surgical procedure a couple of weeks before she was born.  Had I have gone into labor during that surgery, I would probably had to have had a c-sec.  I would not have been able to strain at all and I was afraid I might go into labor early because I had been having lots of contractions.  They even did my surgery at the same hospital I suppose to deliver at just incase I did go into labor.  But my doctor was bound and determined for me NOT to have a c-sec.  He DID NOT want that for me.  He said that they would do whatever they had to do to keep me from having a c-sec.  My doc lets me make my own decisions.

If you decide to go w/ an OB and they are trying to push you into something that you don't want or aren't comfortable with, then you are w/ the wrong doctor.  I have had my doctor since I was 15.  I am now 34 and he has delivered all of my kids.  I truly trust him.

Again, you just have to go w/ what is right for you.  I feel like OBs get a really bad name on this board sometimes.  At least I have felt that way many times.  Again, if a doctor is pushing you in a direction that you don't want to go in, you are with the wrong doctor.  My doctor is wonderful :)
yes i agree every doctor and midwife have their own standards, if those standards dont agree with you then its time to find someone new!!  this time around im seeing a midwife!!