Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Nothing found in uterus...HcG was only 71

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I went to the dr. yesterday to confirm my positive home pregnancy tests. The doctor confirmed with another urine test, then did a vaginal ultrasound. I had told the doc.that the first day of my last real period was around May 12. But I also bled on June 5th and 6th...wasn't sure if that was a short period or what...I was feeling a little off, so I did a home preg. test on June 18th, which came back negative. I performed two more on June 28th and they were both positive, so I went to doctor yesterday. Nothing showed up on the ultrasound...they thought I was about 6-7 wks. based on the May 12 period, and sent me to hospital for blood tests and another ultrasound. My HcG was only 71, and again nothing showed on the ultrasound...but here's my real question...since I'm not experiencing any pain or bleeding, I feel like it's not ectopic (of course, I'm no doctor), but isn't it possible that I conceived AFTER June 6th (assuming that was a normal, just shortened period?), and therefore would be too early to show up on ultrasound? I go back tomorrow for more blood work to see what my HcG level is doing. If you have any advice or thoughts, please share them. I feel really sad, as I am almost 33, have no children and would LOVE for this to turn out okay. I was so excited when I tested positive, only then to be whisked off to the hospital to be told I'm either ectopic or I miscarried...neither of which make any sense to me based on how I've been feeling!! No blood since the 6th, and no pain!! Someone help, please.
June 5th and 6th bleeding was most likely a period.

You would not see anything via sonogram with HCG that low! Shame on your doctor, he should know that.

What they need to do is re-test your HCG to make sure it's rising. When it's about 2000 or more you should be able to see something via sonogram. Don't quote me on that number, I need to look it up and doublecheck.
i went through the same thing, i had my last period on april 1st (my periods are like clock work) and on may 12th i had a little spotting but not much!  i went to the dr on june 9th and my hcg was 13 meaning i just got preggo.  i went back 3 days later and it was only 15 (i freaked out of couse since it didnt double) on june 14th i started to bleed for 2days (red and very light) i went to the dr on the 15th expecting to hear i was miscarrying blah blah blah!  and to my surprise my numbers were 30.  as of today my numbers are 4000.  the are slow rising!  they usually take 4 days to double but today we seen a sac on the u/s...i still have the bright red bleeding from time to time (bout one day out of the week) but i made it this far and am holding on!  i would guess you were just early.
Just make sure it is not a Chemical Preg, i just found out today i lost the baby a week or so after i concieved because of my birthcontrol pills i was taking right before hand, since it was not a planned preg, but i was still happy about it, only to find out that my levels where back to square one as if i was never prego, meaning i lost the baby shortly after concieving. What i thought was implantation bleeding was most likely a real early m/c....REAL LITE Bleeding too. Thought it was org cause i messed up my pills.
Im hoping this is DEF not the case with you, but just be aware of what that hole chemical preg is, because i was shocked today to find out that news, i didn't even realise it was a option, i just thouht they were doing blood work becauses i was so early! Good Luck!!!! Im sure it is fine.
Thank you so much for responding!!! I will repost after I go to the doctor and get my blood re-checked. Thanks so much for your support and information. I welcome all of it!! Thickm, I wish you the BEST of luck with your pregnancy and a healthy baby!!
I am going through sorta the same nothing in u/s but hCG levels at 386 as of June 30, 2009. I retested my hCG levels today will no results tomorrow.  I will be praying for us both!
thanks to all of yall, i have hcg test tomorrow and i get the results about an hour afterwards so i will let yall know
Lacygreen and thickm...I know it's out of all our hands, but I pray that we all have healthy pregnancies and can share that news with each other soon!!! Love and prayers to you.
hcg were 3900 something almost 4000 on tuesday today they are 5494!  still slow rising but rising!  they have this need web site and it tells you have fast your numbers are doubling!  mine were like 124 hours, then 112 hours now 98.9 hours so they are doubling faster just 4 days!  betabase.info is the website
Good news to report!! Had my HcG level tested again last night, it went from 71 on Monday to 244 on Wednesday...seems I have NOT miscarried, and they're not suspecting an ectopic any longer...just a REALLY early pregnancy that wouldn't have shown up on the u/s!!! Yea! We are thrilled.

Such good news, thickm. Thanks for the website info, also.
hurrayyy!!!!! I'm excitead that everthing turned out good :)
ahh congrats i am so happy for you. keep us posted.........you know pregnancy is not all what people think!! i remember with my daughter i never thought about the what if's but this pregnancy has been a real eye opener or should i say a scary roller coaster!!
CONGRATS im so Glad you are not having any problems! CONGRATS AGAIN!!!! Wish me luck im trying!!!!!
Thank you!! Best of luck to you in becoming a mommy!
I agree with JoyRenee...a 71 quant is to low to see anything on U/S.  I hope you have retested and your number has risen enough to see a fetal pole at least. good luck
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers