Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Procardia for contractions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Procardia for contractions?

My question is for my Best friend who is 29 weeks pregnant.  She started exp. contractions about a week ago.  This is baby number 3.  She went to the Dr and found that she had a bladder infection.  Macrobid was prescribed 100mg BID.  

She went into the Dr today due to contractions.  She saw the NP.  She was prescribed Procardia 10 mg 6 times a day.  

Upon researching this med for her I found that it was a Cat. C.  I also was able to see all of the potential risks involved to fetus based on animal studies.  I use www.rxlist.com as my reference.  

Terbutaline was given once.  I also found some data that said this medication can be used as "off label"  to stop pre-term labor if nothing else works.  

My question here is:  Is this the safest route?  Are there other meds besides the terbutiline that would offer the same effects, but in pill form?   Is there any empirical date to support this medication for use for the next 8-10wks?  

Sorry for this question.  I don't go back to pharmacology class until next week.  Thank you for your quick response.

Nichole
This is a public forum, not the doctor's forum! Sorry!!!
Hi there, I have had a lot of the same stuff happen.. I went into preterm twice about 32 wks along.. I was pumped full of many medications.. I did not have a bladder infection though. But I have been given procardia for 3 weeks.. I had a couple days in the beginning where I was a little dizzy when I stood up quick,,from the meds. But then, I got used to it and fast. Today I was taken off of the meds,, as it is now safe for me to deliver... so who knows how quick I will go into labor now.. just gotta wait and see I guess.. As far as my opinion goes with the procardia,, I think that is safe to take only cause of the amount of people taking it and all for the same reasons.. I only took it 4 times a day but I do know others whom took it 6 times daily.. As far as everything else,,I don't know.. but find out and asked all the questions you need to ,,to the dr and anyone.. good luck,,, Jeannie