Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Pull Out Method

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Pull Out Method

Ok, I need some opinions..... I am really getting sick of seeing all of these posts that say, I got pregnant using the pull out method. Obviously if you are pregnant then you did not use it correctly!! I know this is a touchy subject, and there are so many advocates against it, and while I am not trying to promote it as a form of birth control, I do feel like people use it as an excuse for not being responsible to pull out in time. If there are 300 million sperm in the normal mans ejaculation, yet only a few hundred of them actually even make it to the egg, please tell me how if you pull out before you ejaculate, and there is only the POSSIBILITY of pre ejaculate, which may or may not have at the most hundreds to thousands of sperm, this could happen. In fact, if a man only has 1 million sperm he is considered infertile........1 MILLION. I am currently pregnant right now due to the " pullout method", but we both know the reason why is because he did not " pull out" in time. In fact, most of the little buggers had already escaped!! I know that accidents happen, but I have been using only this for at least 10 years, and the only times I have been pregnant is when I knew we did not use it correctly. I guess what I am trying to say is, I wish people would be more responsible and take accountability for there actions, even if they are mistakes
Pull Out Method isn't even a method. You can become pregnant with pre-ejaculte. Someone sent a video link on how to conceive that was hysterical. Planned Parenthood put it together and while I'm not a fan of theirs, it was a cute movie with FACTS.

A man is not considered infertile unless he has ZERO sperm. He is considered to have a "fertility issue" but he's not infertile. It only takes one sperm making it to the egg.

You can become pregnant when sperm is on the outside of your vagina.. Why you haven't become pregnant in 10 years while using this method is pure coincidence. Conception is truly a miracle if you think about all that the sperm has to go against. It wasn't irresponsibility, it just happened.
You can also become pregnant on birth control, and using a condom, and even both. The pull out method is actually 96% effective when used correctly. With typical use it had a failure rate of between 18-25%. By typical use I am sure they are referring to not pulling out every time, or on time, which in that case why do it in the first place. I do not believe that it is a coincidence I have not gotten pregnant while using this method. I believe it is because my partner is aware of his body, and he knows when he is going to ejaculate, and withdrawls in plenty of time. Where are you getting your information that pre ejaculate can get you pregnant? I have researched this topic, and there have been several studies one that have shown that there is no viable sperm in pre ejaculate. In fact, pre ejaculate does not even come from the same place as sperm, and is a cleaning fluid. If you are talking about the Planned Parenthood video that shows a penis dressed up in a leisure suit that squirts fluid out of his head every 5 seconds, i am aware of that video. Your right, conception really is a miracle considering all sperm has to go through, which verifys my point exactly. If after a full ejaculate, containing millions and millions of sperm, only a few hundred....if that reach the egg, how can pre ejaculate, which studies have shown do not contain viable sperm, fertilize an egg???
Doctors do not consider pulling out to be a method. They hardly look at natural family planning as any form of birth control either, which is the method I use. No birth control is 100% effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ejaculate

Any time there is sperm, even in small amounts as some studies have shown there are in pre-ejaculate, a woman can become pregnant. A lot also depends on the uterine environment as well. You can read Dr. Mehmet Oz's book You The Owners Manual on the subject of reproduction.

I know that the mucous that women wipe up after sex is actually mucous from glands, not sperm. Sperm ejaculated into the vagina cannot be flushed out. It is there until it dies or fertilizes an egg.

You have to weigh each case separately instead of trying to make these absolutes. You are saying there's absolutely no way a woman can become pregnant from pre-ejac when in fact my best friend became pregnant after having sex once with this supposed "pull-out method".

A tiny amount of sperm on the outside of the vagina can get a woman pregnant just as much as pre-ejac can get a woman pregnant. The odds are low, but it is possible.
By the way, I'm not going to respond anymore. I feel as though you are just trying to start an argument. I've given what information I know to be truth from research and speaking with doctors and from my experiences and the experiences of others I know. Good luck to you.
A friends husband was diagnosed as being infertile and he got her pregnant. Sometimes, that 1 in a Million is all it takes. I personally don't think there is a right or wrong way to use the pull out method for that reason. Everybody has their own opinions, but the only way to be 100% protected, is NOT doing the deed. The attached link do support pregnancy from pre-ejaculation.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-control/AN00197

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/preventingpregnancy/pregnancyfaqmyths.html

http://www.health.arizona.edu/health_topics/sexual_health/sextalk/2004/sextalk.08.30.04.pdf

PLEASE! Ladies, do your research before you choose this method.
No website that you go to is going to tell you to use the pull out method as birth control....there is too much of a margin of error. The only way that pre ejaculate can get you pregnant is if the man has had intercourse recently and has not urinated to clean out his urethra. Because there can still be sperm in the urinary tract, and this is the tube pre ejaculate comes from, then hypothetically yes, there can be sperm in pre ejaculate. However if this does not occur, then there is no sperm in pre ejaculate. Like I mentioned before, even if there are a few sperm in pre ejaculate, really do you believe maybe a couple hundred sperm would make it to the egg??? I also have a friend that got preganant from using this, but her husband did not pull out in time. It is very very annoying when women say, " I got pregnant from pre ejaculate". Really, well were you the one having an orgasm, and releasing the sperm...... No, well then how would you really know that. Like I said, I am not trying to start an argument,,,at all. But what I said from the beginning is that I really do believe that the reason women get pregnant from this method is because of faliure to withdrawl (withdrawal) in time on the mans part, not because of the actual pre ejaculate fluid itself.
Also, I am not saying that it is impossible..... no trust me I believe anything is possible. I just believe that people always blame pregnancy on pre ejaculation, when in actuallity, it is because they do not have enough self control to pull out before ejaculation.
i'm also looking at being prego from pulling out. i know he pulled out in time because ... he ( dont want to give too many details) didn't *** for another couple min.. like njeosys said its the pre-***. its more fertile then the reg stuff. if you really want to be careful.. don't have sex. but it also helps to be on the pill and use a condom.
not using a condom, being on the pill, or not using any other type of b/c is putting yourself always at risk. its a risk you have to take everytime you have sex.
it is not just the mans fault for not "pulling out" in time.. its you're fault too for letting him enter you without a condom. it does take two.
There are obviously some people here that do not like their opinions challenged. I really thought that this was supposed to be a support forum...... not a place for people to get angry when people do not agree with them. I am not sure where njeosys got the information that pre ejaculation is more fertile than the regular stuff, but I would love to know so that way I could learn something new. You are so right it does take two, I am not promoting the pull out method, and I am not saying that anything is impossible.........however, I do believe there are certain situations when pre ejacualtion can contain sperm, which i already explained in a previous posts. As far s being a troll or a poser.....Ha ha ha, that is so far from the truth. I am just a normal person, who is pregnant, and who likes to hear peoples opinions
not only did i hear from njeosys, but also from school, my ob, my family doctor, friends, and the internet does have some reliable sites that contain useful info. pre ejaculation does have sperm in it.. it just does. and yes as far as you being a troll or a poser, i didn't call you those names, you need to contact and have an issue with those people. privately. but you would have to actually sign up.. and become a part of medhelp.
Yes I do agree that pre ejaculate can contain sperm, but as far as having more than an actual ejaculation, no I have never heard that. I know that you are not saying those things, and I actually apologized to njeosys if I came across the wrong way. It is just very hurtful to hear those things about yourself when that is not at all what the intentions are. I am not trying to come across the wrong way. In fact, I think I am a very easy person to get along with. I think some times the pregnancy hormones kick in, and things are blown out of proportion....ya know. Anways, have a Happy New Year!!!
its all good. happy new years to you also.
Pre-ejaculation's purpose it to neutralize the acidity in the urethra(caused by urine), and also to lubricate the urethra so that sperm can travel easier and not die before it reaches the vagina.  The pre-ejaculation is produced by a completely different gland than the semen.  While it may contain some chemicals associated with semen it does not contain semen itself.  Your semen is produced in the mans testicles, where as the pre-ejaculation is produced in the bulbourethra gland.  A man's pre-ejaculation would contain semen if there was still some reminiscence in the urethra, but if you urinate, the acidity from your urine would kill any left over semen.  So while you technically could have semen in your pre-ejaculation, it is very unlikely and it is not from the pre-ejaculation fluids themselves.  Though, I do not suggest using the "pull-out method."  Human error is too high, STD's can still be passed through your pre-ejaculation, and it's just not worth it.
This post is almost three years old.