Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Question on being induced

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Question on being induced

It seems that almost every woman I know that has been induced, ended up having a c-section.. I am just wondering for those of you that had to be induced, what was your experience? Did they have to do it more than once and did it result in a vaginal delivery or a c-section?

I have an appointment tomorrow and I have some questions, but my Dr. is seemingly anti-c-section, and I just want to be as informed as possible. I personally don't want to be induced for days on end just to suffer through all that if it is likely I will end up with a c-section anyway, you know? I am 39 weeks and my Dr. doesnt want me to go over (and I dont want to either!!) B.c I have had some complications during my pregnancy that make it a better decision to have the baby at 40 weeks, which is the end of the week..

Anyway, please respond with your expeiences! Thanks so much! Hope everyone is well! =)
        I was induced at 39 weeks I was so big that my doctor suggest that being induced was best. My feet were swelled really bad and she was worried that I would get Preclampsia. So good thing I was induced because my son ended up being really big he weighed 9 pounds and 7 ounces but I had to have a c-section I did try to have him vaginally for 2 hours but he was way to big. He also had his cord wrapped around his neck twice so in that sense I am glad I did not wait till I was 40 weeks but it is diffrent for each woman Good Luck Hun!
Wow Laura...I can't believe you are a week away!  I obviously don't have any experience with being induced as I am on my first pregnancy BUT I just wanted to wish you well and I hope that you post your birth story once your little man arrives!
I was induced at 41 weeks because the baby was "running out of amniotic fluid".  I ended up having a vaginal birth.  So don't worry, a c-section is not always the end result.  Good luck!!!!!
they induced me the day before my due date because my water broke that day..i ended up having to have a c-section after 41 hours of labor because he was to big..he was 9lbs 2 ounces and 23 inches long
I have had 2 pregnancy and both were induced one was at 41 weeks the other was 42 weeks and it was ok I guess my first kid was 8lbs 14oz he had a punctured lung and a infection in his blood he was in the hospital for 2 weeks my daughter was 41 weeks and she ended up being ok with no issues.
Well I hope you are good and everything turn's out good and the baby does well with no problems  GOOD LUCK............
I was induced at 39 weeks due to hypertension and I had 2 friends that were also induced this year for various reason - in all three cases, our babies were born vaginally.

The chances of needing a C-section are higher with an induction but well over half the women who are induced have a successful vaginal birth - the odds are in your favor.

Ask your doctor what your Bishops score is - that will give "some" idea of whether the induction will be successful.  The number is not 100% definitive though.  I had an extremely low Bishops score and didnt come close to needed a C-section.
Hey hon!  I had my induction Thursday night and 24 hours later I delivered vaginally.  I also got an epidural b/c the pain from the induced contractions was very intense.  My biggest fear was that I'd end up having to get a c-section, but Jaiden's heart rate stayed high and he came out with about 1.5 hours of pushing (but he was a big boy!!).

It's up to you what you decide, but do talk to your doc abt it!
I was induced at 38 weeks with my first, for a medical emergency with my blood pressure and managed a vaginal birth.

I was induced again (at 39w2d) with my second this time planned and by choice. This also resulted in a successful vaginal birth.

I am booked in for my third induction on Jan 31st!

Wish me luck..
I was induced at 36 weeks due to some suspected symptoms of pre-eclampsia.  I did end up having a c-section because the baby's head never dropped.  I do think the early induction played a role.  I would definitely try to let your body go into labor naturally if possible.  
I'm sorry you're so worried, honey. I know how it feels. Well, I was induced a couple of days after my due date and I did end up having a c-section; the doctor said that my son wasn't coming down the birth canal anymore and his head was getting swollen.
BUT, my sister was induced 2 years ago and SHE gave birth vaginally :) Every birth and doctor is different, honey. Good luck, I hope you deliver vaginally. Either way, you'll do fine! Congratulations!
My sister was induced due to pre-eclampsia, she had a pretty long labor but she did deliver vaginally after pushing for an hour, so not too bad.
Try not to worry and good luck!
I was kind of induced...I went in the day before I was due and was 5cm but not in labor, just some small contractions.  So they broke my water, and put me on pitocin and I had my daughter vaginaly in about 6 hours...it was pretty easy, but I think mine went well because I was already started, just not in active labor yet.  Good luck, are you dilated or effaced yet?
My friend was over a week late so they induced her but she had a natural birth, few complications but nothign serious and she and her daughter are doing fine now! Good luck!
Thanks everyone~ I appreciate the stories..

I was a whopping 1 cm last week! =P

My appt. is at 9:45 am EST so I will keep you all posted.. I hope somethings going on!! =)

Avanaar!! I am soo happy Jaiden is here and all is well! I looked at the photos on your baby blog and he is too cute!!

Sweetangel, I know.. I am so happy its time.. I am so excited/nervous!

Be back later today!!

((HUGS ALL!))
I was induced by choice with my 4th baby.  I ended up with a vaginal delivery as well.

Wow Laura......I can't believe it's time for you already.  Seems like just yesterday you got your BFP!!

Oh, I got mine (BFP) last Monday.  Wasn't sure if you had seen that....Hadn't seen you on much lately......
Well i was induced at 41 weeks as all of yo know..lol..the doc broke my water first and i started having contractions like 15 mins later....then about a hour later i was in full blown labour!! But my contractions werent lastning long enough for the nurse that was sitting with me so they put me on the drip! I went really fast and i had a vaginal birth!! This experience for me was the greatest!! I would do it all over again in a second! I opted for the epi though because i wasent changing in my cervix when the doc checked me after like three hours and i thought i would be in labour forever and when the epi was in as i was laying down i needed to push and i was fully...so in a matter of mins i went from a 3 and only 50% effaced to fully dialted and reaay to push with the babys head right there!! lol...I had a great experience and i hope you do to laura! Im sure you will have no troubles..some women arent ready to be induced when they are and thats why there bodies dont do it..(because its not ready) which is why so many end up in sections!! Good lkuck hun....keep me posted doll!!
You must bein your apointment right now.  Please  update us when you get back so we know when you're havign the baby!
I was only dilated to 2cm before they induced me.  I hadn't really progressed much on my own and he was already "well done"!  lol  I know you're anxious to meet Jaxson, but try to wait at least a week after his due date to go into labor on your own (barring any medical problems).  If he's not out by then, evict him.  =D

Thank you for the comments!  It's a whole new world having him here!  Can't wait for your little guy to join us too!!
Hi, I wanted to let you know that not all induced babies have to be c-section! I was induced with my first baby and had a SUPER easy time and gave birth vaginally and all naturale! I was induced at 7am, doc broke my water at 7:30, we had a baby at 9:56! Yes, just a couple of hours later. I guess I was one of the lucky one's there. Don't be too worried about it, I don't think being induced has anything to do with whether or not they have to do c-section or not. Good luck to you!

I was induced at 41 weeks.  My son was 9 lbs. 2 oz. and pushed for 2 hours but gave birth vaginally.  I think it's all circumstantial.
WOW I cant believe its almost time for you to have your little guy! I know how excited and anxious you must be!

I was induced with my first at 38 weeks....... The dr hooked me up to pitocin..... at 3pm he broke my water (thats when labor started LOL almost immediately) and I had my DD Vaginally at 5:32 Pm..... Only pushed about 25 minutes and Out she came! My sister also was induced with my nephew and had a vaginal delivery! I am sure you will be just fine if they chose to induce........ Doesnt mean you will need a C section! Good luck! Your almost there!
I am sorry the update is so late. Couldnt get online.. Computer/iPhone issues. Anyway, I am 2 cm and will be induced next Tuesday or Wednesday if nothing happens by then. I walked over a mile today and am really tired so I will try and get on tomorrow! Miss everyone and thanks for all the advice!!

Michelle- Omg!! Congrats! I think I missed to bfp!! I havent been online as much since j stopped working..
You already have a bunch of responses, but thought I would add mine also.  

I was induced at 40 weeks and did not have a c section.  My ob put in a foley balloon in my cervix to help dilate me to 4 cm.  (had painful contractions but it did the job!) As soon as I was 4 cm, which took all day, I went in to the hospital and they started me on pitocen.  Within 5 hours I was 10 cm dilated and ready to push.  My son was a big baby so it took 3 hours of pushing, but that had nothing to do with being induced.  

I think the pitocen worked perfectly because I had the foley ballon put in, which got the ball rolling.  Good luck!!
I was not induced with either pregnancy. My sister was also not induced with her 3 pregnancies.

So hopefully you'll go on your own, sweetie!
I was induced at 4:30am on a Saturday and had my almost 8lb 10oz son at 7:39pm that night. The labor was easy and went by pretty quickly after I got an epidural. We watched "Foot Loose" and hung out for a few hours...didn't feel any pain at all. Then I started to feel a weird heaviness/pressure feeling like my hips were spreading apart and found out my son was on his way out. Pushed for about 15 minutes and there he was!

I had Cervidil (I can't remember the names/spellings of these things...it was a couple of years ago) put it at 4:30am, they broke my water at 11:30am, and gave me the epidural at around 1:30pm and started Pitocin.

No matter what happens, it's the best day of your life. Just keep that in mind :)
Thank you sooo much! I appreciate ALL the storied and advice. I feel much better after reading that many of you or your loved ones ended up with a vaginal delivery after being induced!~ =)

Even if I need a c-section, I dont feel like its the worst thing that could happen. I am just scared that the induction wont work and then I will end up with a c-section after suffering through mulitiple iunductions.. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens..

Oh, and this morning, I had a little blood when I went to the bathroom?? I am hoping maybe that means something is starting?

Ugh. The waiting game..
Wow!!!  That sounds like something might be happening very soon!!!  I can't wait to see pics and hear your labor/delivery story.

And the waiting begins........
It'll happen sooner than you think!  Of course post pictures of the baby.  AND please please write and tell us your birth story.  I hope it all goes well...I think the Dr. gave you enough time to go on your own, you'll be fine and maybe it'll start soon!

Miss ya!
my sister was induced she was overdue buy i think 10 days or soo it was a long induction if thats even a word LOL. But she to deleverid vaginally :) which the active labor wasnt that long at all. WOW by the end of the week you will be a mother, i dont barely come on here much at all these days soo if i dont come on here and get to seeyour birth story congrats to you and K on being first time parents YAY!