Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Two Heartbeats... TWINS???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Two Heartbeats... TWINS???

Hello ladies! I bought an expensive fetal doppler off the internet when I was right about 13 weeks pregnant. I have been using it lately and I have been hearing two heartbeats. Sometimes they will be close to each other, and other times they will be far apart. Like the other night, one was near my belly button and the other was beneath the pubic bone. I havn't had an ultrasound yet for this pregnancy, so I am kinda thinking I might be carrying twins. But, I dont want to get my hopes up! LOL. The heart rates are kind of in the same range. Both in the 150- high 160's. I was wondering though, do you think my doppler can be picking up the same heartbeat? But from such a distance? I just switched doctors and I go see my new one on Wednesday and I am going to mention it to him. What do you ladies think? And, for those of you that are having twins, when you do hear the heart beats, how far apart are they? Like inches wise? And are they close in heart rates? Thanks a lot!
You could indeed be having twins, or 1 could be the heartbeat and the other could be the placenta and the cord.  The placenta has it's own "footprint" as well that sounds like a heartbeat.  When do they plan on doing your u/s?
They plan on doing a routine ultrasound in between 18-22 weeks. So, anytime here soon!
Will that be your 1st one?  Normally they do an u/s at the beginning to confirm due dates, and then they do a 20wk u/s to check for growth normalities and gender.  Call and let them know what you're hearing so maybe they can have you come in earlier.  It if is two they would want to monitor you closer and keep an eye on your weight, your blood pressures, and etc.
Are the hearbeats both at about he same rate, or is one quite a bit slower. One of them could be yours too lamb!!! But then it could be twins or like Prayerful said, it could be the cord too. Hard to say!!!
I did the same thing - thought it was twins, but it was just the placenta or the cord.
I'm having twins.  I have had several ultrasounds and the babies are pretty close together.  I haven't used a doppler to hear the heartbeat. Ask them for an ultrasound on wednesday  when you go in.
I will ask them when I go in on Wednesday. No, I havn't had an ultrasound yet, but I want one really bad. I don't think it is my heart rate because I can find mine... its right by my hip and never above 100 bpm. It might be the cord, but I will be sure to ask the doctor on Wednesday. Does anyone think that I could be hearing the baby from two different spots? Maybe that is why? I want to believe I am having twins so bad, but I don't want to get my hopes up. You Know? Thanks!
I can hear my little girls HB from two different spots depeding on how shes lying. Im 20 weeks 1 day.

Sometimes it changes depending on how shes lying so it appears like the heartbeats have different rates too.

Just one little baby though!!!! :)
Not having been trained on what you're listening for I wouldn't get worked up about anything until you see your doctor.  Let him know what you think and see what he says.  You could be picking up your own heartbeat or the blood flowing through the placenta or something else.  Perhaps the doc will do an u/s early to see?
I don't think the second hb is yours cause yours wouldn't be that fast but it could be your babys heartbeat from another angle or it could be twins they find my twins heartbeast close together most of the time still.
Well, the doctor said it was probably me hearing the baby from another angle as I feared. LOL. He scheduled me for an ultrasound on the 30th though. YAY!
I am 11 weeks pregnant and we went to our doctor Friday afternoon and I had a vaginal sonogram and it showed twins, but the doctor couldn't find a heartbeat on either baby. One baby was at 9 weeks and the other 11 weeks. Could it be too early in the pregnancy to hear heartbeats?  We go back tomorrow for another sonogram. We're really concerned.
Usually if you're carrying twins they should both be pretty close in fetal length. Being 9 weeks they should've heard a H/B if it was a vaginal u/s, I would hope for the best but prepare for the worst just in case. I'm praying both of your babies are safe and healthy, but it's not uncommon to lose one twin and carry the 2nd one to term healthily. Good luck hun, keep us updated!!
Well. The second appointment yesterday was about the same as the one on good Friday. The sonographer couldn't find heartbeats either. Its so disheartening.
It could be your blood flow. I thought the same thing whhen i used my doppler but my GP told me that it was my blood flow and the baby's heart beat is much faster than mine. Good luck either way, double good luck if you are having twins lol
i'm sorry hun :(
Did you have to take progesterone?
Its possible or or could be your heart beat
What do you mean?