Pregnancy 18-24 Community
What can I expect at my first OB check up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am going to be 9 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow but will bot be seeing my OB until next week (week 10). I have been followed by my RE before this up until week 7. I am nervous about this doctor since I am a new patient. I have heard good things about him so I am trying to be open minded. Are you supposed to have a pap smear done while pregnant? I am scared to have this done and may try and refuse it. I just want my little one to be checked out and make sure everything looks fine. When can I start having the sonogram's and not the transvaginal U/S?
Tags: pregnant
Yes, you'll get a pap smear at some point (usually the first appointment). They need to make sure you do not have HPV, something serious. It is BENEFICIAL for you to get this done. It's just a quick swipe of the cervix with a large cotton swab.

When you go in you'll pee in a cup to test for proteins and sugars. They'll take your weight and blood pressure. Then most likely do the pap smear and check out your cervix, feel your uterus externally. You will also most likely have your breasts examined for lumps.

Your doctor may also have you do blood work or give you a lab writeup to get blood work done. The blood work is to check for HIV, other STDs and I can't remember what else.
You should be able to have abdominal sonograms from here on out.
At my first appt., I had everything JoyRenee mentioned, except no pap smear since I had just had one.  It was a lot like a normal ob appt.  They also determined by due date by asking me the date of my last period, and gave me the opportunity to ask questions.  Bring a list to ask.  I did not have a sonogram until 18 weeks.

Good luck and congrats!
-LMC
I had a pap smear done, it was time for my annual so I don't know if it was because of that or because it was my first appointment.  I also had a transvag u/s done.  I think that is standard for a lot of doctors, but sometimes aren't done because insurance companies don't cover them.  However, my doctor's practice is linked through the hospital health system here, so the co-pay I had while delivering was all tied together and all that I paid.  But they will go over your social and health history, as well as the father's.  They will do bloodwork and from this appointment and every appointment going forward, you'll pee in a cup to test for UTI's and other infections/problems.  You'll be able to get the pelvic u/s probably around 12 weeks, but most doctor's don't do the next u/s until your second trimester screening between 18-21 weeks.  And that will be pelvic.  Best of luck to you!
yep i had everything joy mentioned
and yes they usually do a papsmear during your first appt. or at least they did with me and this is my 3rd pregnancy and with each one i had a different doctor
but thats major to get it done just in case you might have an std or ect. which could harm the baby
i also had a transvaginal u/s until i believe around 13 wks  but that varies on everyone
so good luck