Pregnancy 18-24 Community
breast pumping-weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

breast pumping-weight loss

I know breast pumping/feeding is a great way to lose the post partum weight, I pumped for 2 weeks after I had my first baby last year, but I have decided not to this time, I don't have time to with a one year and a newborn lol but I have more weight on me than I did after my first so now I'm worried about not losing it as quickly or it staying and more weight adding on, so I'm wondering if I could try to start pumping a little here and there, its been 2 weeks today since I delivered and my milk isn't leaking or anything but I still feel the "let down" sensation sometimes, I'm still on the fence about it though, since its been so long already should I not worry about doing it? Or should I give it a try? I don't really eat much as it is and don't notice any extra weight so far...help please
Bump
Give it a try. If you're milk is still there, then go for it. All you can do is try. I am thinking about breast feeding but i think i only wanna pump. I still have 20 weeks to decide so i have a while.
Strictly pumping will only work for a while. If you don't put the baby to your breast you will eventually dry up.
Oh really. I never knew that. Thank you
I agree with apeydef, I strictly pumped after breastfeeding for a week or so, and I lost all of my milk within 2 weeks..it's a very, very demanding thing to get used to, too. I definitely recommend breastfeeding over pumping. I'll be just breastfeeding this time. If you want to pump, it should always be switched back and forth between breastfeeding as well, and you should establish your supply with breastfeeding first. My lactation consultant told me no pump for at least the first 4 weeks, definitely should've listened!
Thank you ladies for informing me about this. I didn't breast feed with my first. But i will def. Let the baby latch and just pump to have some stored so that when we gobout some where i will have a bottle. Thank you very much.
That's what I'll be doing with this one, when we go anywhere I'll pump  a few ounces, you can also get storage bags and bottles to freeze the extra milk, pumping extra is good for night feedings too!
Yea that is what i will do. Doesn't it take the Baby longer to eat from the breast then bottle?
It did for my son, but he was a really hard latcher sometimes, he nursed much longer on my breast than he did with a bottle, but he'd fall asleep quicker with a bottle because he got more, quicker.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers