Pregnancy 18-24 Community
brown and black menstrual blood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

brown and black menstrual blood

Hi, I am 39 years old with a 13 year old son who has severe special needs and a perfectly healthy 3.5 year old girl.  My son was born to my first husband (ended in divorce) and my daughter to my second husband.  After I remarried I became pregnant in Oct. 1998 and had a missed miscarriage in Jan 1999.  I ended up having a D&C as the tissue just wouldn't pass. I became pregnant again in May of 2000 only to miscarry again in July of 2000.  This pregnancy miscarried naturally.  In 2001 I became pregnant again and delivered my healthy little girl.  I became pregnant again in August of 2004 with twins and miscarried both in October.  I did not have a D&C but I really felt that my body did not pass everything.  I became pregnant again in January of 2005 and miscarried in March of 2005.  I so desparately didn't want to have another D&C but was forced to when after waiting it out I began bleeding heavily and ulrasounds showed large amounts of tissue still present.  I have a strong feeling that tissue from the twin pregnancy was still in my uterus and then I got pregnant on top of that.   Anyway, I had my D&C in April 2005 and didn't get my period until exactly 8 weeks after that.  My periods since then have been very scant and the blood is brown to almost black!  I did not have this problem when I had my D&C back in 1999.  Has anybody ever had this similar experience.  I have been trying to conceive since June, but no luck so far.  I am worried that conception might not be possible with this kind of blood. Any thoughts?
i would call the doc...that doesn't sound right to me...sorry i have no info for you. good luck and i hope the doc fixes you up.

love...kimmie
Thanks for responding Kimmie. I have made an appt with my doc but I can't get in until January!!!! Crazy eh!  I guess they don't see this as an urgent matter.
half-pint! in my opnion i would go to my local emergancy room to see why the blood that you are passing is near black. is there any odor? i have never had to expirence this but you are in my prayers. i would not wait till janurary i would go to the er. god bless and good luck.... keep us posted
Thanks for responding.  There is no odour and I don't have any pain or cramps.  I never really do when my period begins.  I am going to try and move the date up and express to them my concern.  My period is exactly 28 days, that has not changed.  The only that has changed is the colour of the blood.
i have the same problem, except i am 16 and nothing exciting like givin brith has happened in my life. iv looked it up and iv heard its nothing to worry about, its just endometrium a sort of lining of tissue. hopefuli i am right. if u hear anything please post a comment

I am 25 yrs old & i have a kid(2 yrs). And now I am also having this problem. Last month, I did not get my mensus & this month I got menses, but with black color. I am really totally worried of what should be done. Please could either of you suggest of the correct action to take.

I am going thru the same senario, however after a few days of brown, black, then orange blood it goes to normal. I hope someone will have the answers we all need them.
sometimes you just have dark blood meaning it's old that has happened to me even if I wasn't late on my period it's normal it's not really something to be that worried about and if your period is late it could happen also and my little sister hasn't ever been pregnant and she just recently had brown blood her last period hope that helps.
doctors havent been much help answering this question so maybe it is normal????????
I forgot to mention that if it's dark dark brown or black it could also mean you are having a miscarriage or the end of a miscarriage there is really nothing you can do about it while it's happening but every month between 3 to 4 days before your expecting your period take a test and if it happens every month then set up an appt go in to get yourself checked to make sure that your not or weren't having a miscarriage  i think that's what I would do if it worries you that much because it could be your blood type or partners blood type that could be making this happen.
i am currently passing dark brown menstrual fluid myself and looked it up as i was worried.  My research suggests this can be very common esp considering it is not just blood, but the uterine wall calls etc also.  I recently had the morning after pill and this my first period since has been extremely painful and this dark color.  I consider it as normal, but I'm no doctor!!!
ive been gettin bad stomach pains for weeks (never had a period pain in my life, an i have 3 kids) youngest is 4 months. And ive been loosing weight everywhere but my stomach.i went to the doctor with the pain, which kinda feels like my whole stomach is bruised and swollen. i had a smear, and swabs, nothings come back yet. Now i notice this morning that my period which im sure has come a week early is black!!! no smell or anything just black and slightly red. Im also very dehydrated?? very confused!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I just had my period 2 weeks ago, and then a few nights ago i start again. but instead of being red like it normally is, its DARK brown and even black. and i have REALLY bad stomach pains, Am I pregnant or something or Am I just worried for nothing? I mean I even feel sick most of the time, Like a bad staomach ache. it doesnt feel like a normal period cramp. and i dont see why i would get it again two weeks early. And then all day today my breasts have been tender. I dont see how i can be pregnant but I need someone elses opinion before I go to the docs for nothing jusst in case. Someone please let me know!
I am a nurse, and while I am not an MD here is what I would recoment: when in doubt go to your doctor or ER, whichever seems more appropriate.
Michmich- hopefully your problem resolved but because of your weight loss issue and your stomach continues to be distended, I would push your doctor to do an ultrasound or CT scan of your belly.  Cancer causes symptoms like yours.
Chewey- Hopefully you are better too.  But in your case  I would recomend going to the ER, your symptoms sound like a tubal pregnancy miscarrying.  You ladies know your bodies so trust them when something is not right and press your doctor for answers  You have to be your own advocate,don't take "let's just wait and see" for your answer.

I have read some of these posts and I am currently experiencing this sticky brown discharge and my period was roughly 6wks late I only noticed what was like about 3-4 drops of light red blood when I began two days ago, and I have been wondering what could be going on, I am also at an age I wonder if my irregularity could be due in part to periomenopause. Does anyone have any insight as to what may be happening with me?
I also have had some pretty bad cramping all over, front, side, and back this time.
I am having a similar problem. My period was very late, and when it did "come" it was a dark brown color. One day it was red, and I thought ok, I'm going back to normal..but then it went straight back to brown. Here's the trouble. It has not stopped. I'm still having that brown color- it's been 2 weeks. I took two pregnancy tests, both negative. No pain. I don't know what is going on with me. I feel that it is time to go to the doc though.
I'm 38.  I've had 3 pregnancies and one of thoses was twins.  I've had normal periods all my life.  I used to be able to tell when I ovulated.  I've been having break through bleeding after intercourse.  And I will have a dark brown discharge at varying times for no reason.  I also have back pain and pain in pelvic area.  I've had paps, thyroid test, & ultra sound.  My doc prescribed piroxicam which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.  All my test come back normal.  But we are monitoring discharge for the next 3 months and then review again.  I am currently having a very black discharge and it concerns me.  I think with all the medical education there is out there, this stituation needs to be defined.  Still seeking answers...
I'm having the same issue.  I had a M/C in May with a D&C, and then a chemical pregnancy last month which had a normal AF.  Now I started AF again and it's dark brown sticky, coagulated gel-like, with little coming out, and I'm noticing an odd smell.  I'm not in pain, but it's freaking me out. Does anyone know what this is?
I am only 13 years old and my period just came 2 weeks late and now it is black! I'm reading these comments and I am really nervous now. I'm pretty sure that I'm not having a miscarriage because I have never had any sexual intercourse but then why is my period black?!
Hi guys,
I am 22 years old and I just consulted 2 doctors for the same symptoms (Dark brown menstrual period). I wanted a second opinion because the first doctor told me not to worry. So I consulted a male and a female. I have been having the same problem as you guys. My last 2 periods have been very dark brown, some even black. They have no smell, is like a thick liquid, with no pain nor cramping. I got a sonogram/ultrasound done to check for any cysts or abnormalities, and everything is fine. The ultrasound was done to check my ovaries and uterus. I was very scared, and thought many things.
But I hope this helps you guys.
Both said that menstrual blood should not be a bright red, if it is, there is probably some hemorrhage. Blood should be a dark red, like a wine color. It has to do with the shedding of the inner lining of the uterus.
Therefore, brown or black is ok.

If you guys are still worried, you might want to go for an ultrasound just to make sure you are ok.
Hope my info helps.
oh BTW, there was no cysts or abnormalities in the ovaries or in the uterus on the ultrasound.
They said that many things affect the menses or create irregular menses (periods), like stress, lack of sleep, bad nutrition, and hormone levels.
I'm 31yrs with one child and currently having irregular periods and sometimes its dark brown or black. I'm trying for a baby and its not happening,could this be the problem? Has anybody experience this before? Has been to the Doctors but medications are not helping.
Has anyone ever had lower back and leg discomforts connected to your period cramps and dark color? I have been having problems with my back and legs for the last year and the level of pain fluctuates depending on where I am in my period. I've had MRI, ultrasound, X-ray, blood tests and a lap. The docs were thinking maybe I have endo but they didn't find ANY. My uterus has weird pigmentation on the outside and my doc thinks I might have adenomyosis. Anyone has anything similar happening?  
hey i am 19 yrs old and had a baby 6 months ago! i never got my period bk till baby was 3month.. my last period came 4 days late and was black from start to end.. it lasted 8 days. iv also been expierencing really bad wind, stomach cramps and have dropped from size 10 t0 a 6-8 in the last month...anyone know wot is wrong with me?
i had my menstraul it is dark its not heavy it is thick what can be the problem is it cancer?
i am 31 yrs old no kids, mensus has always been irregular and heavy. Now i have extreme pain in the groin area, almost like my innards are being ripped out and severe lower back pain to the point where i am almost crying. I experienced this a week before my mensus started and then again when it started. My mensus is black and sticky, not heavy and there is a slight odor. I haven't been sexually active for the past few months so i know i'm not pregnant. any suggestions?
I dont know if you guys are still checking this out or if your still worried, but i had the same problem I had a dnc june 1 09 and then had my period and then had my period early then had sex with a condom (but we all know that is not 100% effective) and then my period was 2 wks late.  I had just started my period OCT 15 09 and it was black like tar or something and of course i freaked the same way everyone else did i was thinking all kinds of scary ectopic preg losing another preg I mean im 27 and have had my period since i was 7 and it's always been on time and normal.  so hears what I found out and its correct information girls sometimes your period can start out brown then go normal rather soon after and for those who start brown spot a little and stop that pre-preg bleeding you guys are most likely preg.  then the ones who have dark brown or black it should go normal in a few days if not something is wrong and it very well could be a ectopic preg if their is pain because dark dryed blood with pain is the main sign for it.  So ladies if your having problems and its not going to normal then yes go to the doctor because something is wrong.  So it can start out thick black dark tar brown color but in a few days it sould lighten not to a bright red because that is a serious proble but you know the normal not so dark blood color with the normal discharge in the toliet and if not Please call your doctor if you have an ectopic preg and your tube bust you can die quickly your body will go into shock you'll pass out and have to be rushed to an ER where you can lose your tube or die.  So I  hope this helps some of you and for the ones who are not for real not having sex you have nothing to worry about unless its a cist or cancer which is unlikely.  So now I hope you have the answers you need and if anyone finds anything else out please post it
Hi everyone i am 25 yrs married my period last month was all clot blood for about 4 days like a dime to quarter size i thought it was ok since i was in a cold country for vac but this month my period start brownish with just one red drop then it went to black colour im worried is something wrong with me .
I am 22 years old and I have always had an irregular period. I have gone 6 months without having a period(still a virgin), and sometimes my cycle will last for a month or longer. Several times over the past few years I have also gotten large clots and a very and I mean very heavy flow. I sarted having brown/black blood after my just month long cycle. This cycle was different then all my other because it was very light, like a little more than spotting. My boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex a few times but 98% of the time we use condoms. I dont't know if I could be pregnant or if something is wrong. Last time I went to the doctor I told him all of this and he really didn't give me an explanation and just put me on bc to regulate my cycle. This was 2 years ago, and after I got my papsmear it said I had cervical dysplasia(basically cancerous cells in the cervix). So can someone please help me or shine some light on my situation? I just wanna know if it sounds like there is something wrong or maybe I'm pregnant.

Thank you
hi im 16 nearly 17 and ive been looking for help on the internet for help. since i started my periods at 12, they were always irregullar. however just a few months ago i've been having black blood when im having a period, its never happened before and i havn't been the doctors about it yet. plus ive been with the same boyfriend for 2years now and its only just starting to feel uncomfortable when i have sex why is this can anyone help???
hi i am 19. i have been having the same problem. typed it in on google and this blog thing came up. i havent got kids and dont think ive ever been pregnant, buit my friend said to me that it could be a miscarriage. my period is black and has little lumps in it .. it has kind of a funny smell and im pretty worried. a week before i came on i had the morning after pill .. does anyone think that this could affect my period? or maybe if i had conceived would it have killed it? or maybe is there something else wrong? ive read all of ur answers but nothing doesnt give anything conclusive . .
i'm 35 years old and have had four children. tubes have been tied and periods have always been irregular. just recently (six days ago) i started to spot but its not the normal reddish color more of a brown color, there is no odor and no pain but it has never happened this way. after having intercourse with husband i bleed but only for a shot time then it stops, but by the morning it s a dark brown again. has this ever happened to anyone?
hi im 30 year old mum of 3...i havent had a period in 3 month for 8 month prior to this i was regular as clock work i am on the pill but have missed a few during the last 3 month 2 of which i was with a partner i have had alot of symtoms (symptoms) that point towards pregnancy so had a test 2 week ago which was negative but since then i have had alot of stomach cramps and back pain then this morning i got a period but it is almost black an is thick an mucusy an quiet heavy....does any1 have any ideas what mite b going on..???
I couldn't read through all of the comments on here so this may have been said. You really need, in my opinion, to get to the Dr. sooner. There could be pieces still inside from the D&C that need to come out, and if it doesn't it can cause a serious infection. Not to scare you, but as a soon to be nurse ALL we learn through school is to BE YOUR OWN DR.!!!! They stress that because sometimes we're not taken serious. If you start to soak pads, or feel light headed/dizzy, anything out of he norm go to your emergency room. Good luck!
Sheesh just saw this was from a long time ago! Hope everything is ok and has been resolved!!
Hi I know the comments are from a while ago. I am getting the same problem (glad I am not the only one) But I seem to get it 2 weeks after an heavy period every month! So I am actually having a period every 2 weeks one normal colour but heavy and then another with the black and there is an odor. I have been with the same partner for nearly 5 years and not strayed I guess my answer is to see a doctor?
Wut does it mean when u have dark brown almost black blood. Was pink when peed this morning. So I put a tampon thinking OK Ima start my period. Well pulled out to change and saw it was dark brown almost black and it wasn't absorbed. Does anyone know wuts going on with me?
im having the same problem im 33 and my tubes been tied for 9 almost 10 yers but ill have a regular period then after tht ill have this brown blood coing out not enough for a pad but a pntyl line and it has an order i went to the doctor they gave me vic and iron pills but im worried cause the bown  blood wont stop this been going on for months and i dont no what to do
Hey i am 15 years old and like a week or so pregnant... i had some very light bleeding and today i started cramping and then blood came out it was medium it wasnt too too bad but it felt like a period,, my period is suppose to be soon also but i didnt know if it was a miscarriage or wat and my mom wont take me to the hospital she said i need to wait and see but me and my boyfriend are scared,,, any things to know if im having a miscarriage or just pregnant or wat? Also my blood had changed from a light pink to a darkish red and just different things..if you can help me in any of it please help or give me advice.
Ok so I was on birthcontroll for 3 years I juss got off of it about a month ago. My last period I was about 5 days late and when I started I it was brownish black threw the whole period but I only had a 2 day period and it was sorta light.oh and I have never used a condom juss the pill birthcontrol.so should I be worried.
Hi, this is the third time in a month that I've had my period. I'm on a non progesterone type of birth control and usually give it a rest for a month once every three to four months so I'm able to have a period. The last four or five periods have been black and or brown and last maybe a couple days to five days. Consistency ranges from very thick to a little chunky and I've been back on the birth control for the last month.. Sorry if it's tmi, I'm worried this could be a serious problem.
I had the same problem this month and I've been hearing that it's caused by old blood or stress and I have benn kind of stressed lately but hopefully you all figure out what the problem is good luck
hi, thank you for your post. its has made me feel alot better about having black tar-like period blood. deep down i knew it was normal. but with my blood, nothing surprises me. kind regards. :))
Have any of you heard of estrogen dominance?  It seems everone is forgetting to look at your hormones and the impact it has on our cycle and the rest of you're overall well being.  Estrogen dominance is very common and undiagnosed by your typically MD (because there are no meds to give you--simple lifestyle changes, mostly what you eat).  Consider consulting with a nutritionist.