Pregnancy 18-24 Community
castrol oil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

castrol oil

I am 37 1/2 weeks pragnent and I have went and bought castrol oil. I was wondering if anyone knew if it really works? I am only 1 cm dialated and I have tried everything from nipple rubbing to acupuncture (sex out of the question my guy is to scared no matter what I say). I just want to know if anyone knows if it will work or heard of anyone who it worked on only being 1 cm dialated?
Well I took it and walked a ton and ate pineapple and drank a bunch of pineapple juice. I was already dilated to 3 cm though and the next morning my water broke and had my little man at 5:50pm that day =) Don't take too much of it and be careful and be prepared for your stomach to go crazy!!! Best of luck to you! I do recommend the walking and pine apple though!
wouldn't take it. I've heard that it can make the baby poop before it is born and that it can cause all kinds of complications. You are almost to the end of your pregnancy and baby will be here soon. I know that you probably are done and just want him/her out but there is a reason they are not born until 40 weeks most of the time.
I would avoid taking it too...you just hit full term. a little patience will really pay off in the long run...let baby come when s/he is ready!
I REALLY don't want to be insulting and I hope you don't think I am being that way....but I just want to clarify, because it's been freaking me out....you know it's castor oil, not castrol oil right? castrol is something you use for cars....and I'm not saying that you have it wrong but I just want to check b/c you never know and one would be VERY dangerous to use....I'm sorry if this comes off rude but I just wanted to clear that up it's been bugging me. Like I said before, I wouldn't use it anyway you just passed full term...everyone hates those last few weeks and is uncomfortable and ready for the baby to get out, but like alaysha said there's usually a reason that it takes 40wks for most babies. And there are potential risks associated with castor oil, like maternal dehydration. if you want to induce, best to call your doctor and ask their advice, because castor oil is just a home version of trying to induce, and your doctor may recommend it but he may also think it's a bad idea so it's best to call and ask their opinion. every OB/midwife is going to feel differently about it.
I'm with alaysha on this one. Little one won't be in there forever! The healthiest and safest thing for you to do is let labor begin on its own whether that is at 38 weeks or 42 weeks. Good luck!
Hello, with my first daughter my waters broke naturally at 37.5 weeks. I was waiting hours for the contractions to start but they just wouldn't so the midwife asked me if I wanted some castor oil. I took it and had dihorrea for the next few hours, then the contractions finally started. I honestly feel that the contractions would have started on their own anyway, and taking the castor oil was a waste of time. I wouldn't take it again- I was so sore down their from constantly wiping! With my next daughter, my waters broke and contractions started immediately at 40 weeks and 2 days. If I were you I would let the baby come naturally, you haven't even reached 40 weeks yet! Goodluck!
The midwife in my OB practice cautioned me on trying anything until I was closer to 39 weeks. She doesn't recommend castor oil, (unless done under close supervision) as baby can pass meconium inside and that can cause respiratory problems if they inhale it. The only things that she said she recommends in sex, walking, bouncing on a birthing ball, and nipple stimulation. ( which causes natural oxytocin to be produced which MAY bring on labor). She also said that NOTHING will bring on labor until your body is ready, but some of the things are fun to try. :)