Pregnancy 18-24 Community
changing diapers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

changing diapers

I was wondering when my son is born am I supposed to put baby powder on his butt after ever changing? He will be uncircumsized will that be a problem? I have to wipe his foreskin clean every changing right? First time mom.
I always wiped my boys down really well I never put anything on them.unless they had a diaper rash (which in the first few.months you change them so.often they shouldn't get one unless they're allergic to their formula or something you're eating if you breast feed). My boys aren't circumcised either. Just watch out, as your pediatrician what they suggest as far care for the fore skin and as far as if you should give baby ANY water since its summer. I've never had a new born in the summer so by summer time my boys were always about 3 months old and I was supposed to let them have a little water, this is my first baby due in summer so IDK I'll have to ask too. I know that was random lol but I was going to say to watch the fore skin as it can get a yeast like infection from dehydration.
My middle son got one but his was due to pooping in his sleep and the crazy baby never woke up from it lol and got an infection on his fore skin and it bled, scared the tar outta me
Thanks ladies. I guess i just put the diaper with his skin being damp from wipes? Im so nervous. I dont know if ill do it right. Im 37w0d today and i was dilated 1cm at 36w 5d.
We never used baby powder on our daughter. After using a wipe to make sure everything was clean, we'd let her air dry a bit and put on a dry diaper. When needed, we used a diaper rash cream, or let her have some tummy time without a diaper  on a blanket we didn't mind soiling.

This time, we're having a boy. I asked a friend about caring for the foreskin and she said that she just pulls it back a bit and wipes with a wet cloth each day. If you're not sure you're doing the best job you could, feel free to ask the postpartum nurses. I thought I had my diaper-changing plan down with my daughter... until she peed on me the second time I changed her diaper! I picked up a few tricks from the nurses, avoiding that again. I plan to plug the nurses for all their boy-changing tips. :)
I would always put baby powder on my daughter whenever I changed her.
You should ask the nurse what to do about the foreskin, and you can ask her these other questions too. I remember they talked about it in my baby care class but since I'm having a girl I didn't pay much attention. I do remember that up until a certain point you don't pull back the foreskin, you can hurt them.
I've not used baby powder on my daughter but maybe a handful of times in 3 yrs. If you do use powder, please be sure you're careful it doesn't make a cloud. Its very dangerous if they inhale it. I turn a little away from baby, shake into my hand, then put on her.
i know in long term care its a no no... i think they found its a breading ground for bacteria... but long term care also is different than looking after a baby(babies are cleaned better)... i think the concern for babies is it can cause breathing problems if baby inhales the powder(as talked about above)...
I also dont use anything unless my daughter has diaper rash... which isnt often...
As long as it's a very light coating it's ok.  Yes the powder can be an inhalation risk.  If you use too much powder it can act like wet sand causing irritation and rash.
I've worked long term care for a long time and thats the problem it causes, not bacteria lol.
I never used baby powder. Since he's being circ'd you will want to ask his ped and the nurse when you deliver. They will also give you aftercare instructions for the circumcision and umbilical cord stump.
thats just the reason i was told...cant say i looked that much into it...
I never use powder ESP for a diaper rash, I ALWAYS use vasaline. They even have some that are.baby powder scented. You don't pull the foreskin back EVER as they become a toddler and start getting "pee hards" lol that's what the Dr called it, it'll naturally start pulling back.exactly how.its supposed to, as they become teenagers their Drs can and will tell you how to care for it. As far as putting the diaper on after wiping them.down, generally by the time you get the diaper up there it'll have dried already but you can kind.of wave your hand over it to.make sure if you wanted.
Acrossing to my child care class I just took. They said no baby powder because they baby can inhale some from the puff of cloud. If you must, at least wait til the bang is 3 months or older. Some mom just really want that fresh baby powder smell, so it's not the end of the world to use it once in a while just not when they are tiny.
And cream only if they have rash.
Only sponge bath until the umbilical cord fall off and circumcision has heal.
Its okay to put a tiny bit of powder on ya baby butt once in the morning and once at night. As far as cleaning his foreskin, take a damp warm soft(very) and gently pull his lil skin down and wipe. Then take another very soft cloft and dry his little wee-wee. Be as gentle as you can. And do it in as few "wipes" as possible. I did this for my son who is 4 now and he NEVER had an infection down there! Good luck n congratulations !!!!
I have a three year old u/c boy and never used baby powder. You change them so much when they are young you should not have to worry about a rash. They get plenty of liquid from the milk so no need to worry about dehydration. I believe the foreskin is still attached so no need to pull it back, just a good wipe. Ask the nurse about this and she will give you the trie medical advice. Congrats and good luck!
Yeah I wasn't sure as far as water for newborns during the summer, didn't figure they'd need ESP since they're so tiny and don't run around lol and I was going to say the same thing. The UROLOGIST told me what I previously post about fore skin and not pulling on it. THAT can cause infection. Your very best bet is to just ask every Dr you come in contact with lol and nurse as well ESP nurses from the nursery.
I have a two yr old boy and a 1 yr old boy, neither circumcised. Heck if you absolutely wanted to be for sure positive and safe. Make an appointment with a urologist. Even though we aren't getting this boy circumcised I'm making an appointment with a urologist so he can explain to my husband what he's already explained to.me with my first two and how to keep it clean and what not.
Thanks ladies. I probably will use powder occasionally but with my hand. No diaper oitment unless a rash. I will ask about pulling the foreskin back but i think ill just wipe it good.    
In the begining you are gonna want to use vaseline for sure tho... it helps to keep the meconium from sticking and their skin is more sensitive... eventually tho you shouldnt need to use anything as their skin should get "tougher" and will be able to handle being wet.... but only vaseline is reccomended for the first bit.... in the hospital they should talk to you about this... and yes never pull the foreskin back... they will talk to you about this as well....