Pregnancy 18-24 Community
could i be leaking amniotic fluid???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

could i be leaking amniotic fluid???

im 36 weeks pregnant, and ive always had a creamy white discharge, but lately its been soaking my panties and ive had to change them and wear pantie liners....im not sure if im leaking fluid possibly, or maybe slowly losing my mucus plug or whats going on. any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. i hate calling my dr for everything bc i feel like the most needy paranoid pregnant woman ever lol, but i know thats why he is paid well. thanks!!
If you feel like you may be leaking fluid you should speak to your doctor. It could also be urine leaking from the baby being on your bladder, but it's better safe than sorry.
if you are concerned or in doubt call your ob is better to be safe then sorry it could be leukorrhea but is always better to be 100% sure that is not amnio fluid i had the same problem but it was just discharge due to your hormones, but just call him and tell him..
I agree with the other ladies - if you think you might be leaking AF then give your doctor a call.  A quick swab of the fluid is all that is needed to check what the fluid is and its a good idea to be safe because a fluid leak and put your baby at risk.

In the mean time a way to get an "idea" (its not 100% effective) if you are leaking fluid is to lie with your legs slightly elevated  for an hour or two with a dry panty liner.  If it becomes wet when you stand up `then there is a good chance you are leaking (if nothing happens it doesnt mean that you arent leaking fluid though).
As the other ladies said, whenever you are in doubt CALL YOUR doctor.That is what they are there for.  I don't consider it being paranoid I consider it being safe.  It is best to get checked and find it was nothing than to not get checked and wish you had becuase it was something that needed to be looked at/taken care of/could cause a problem.  Labor and Delivery can perform a simple swab test that can tell if you are in fact leaking amniotic fluid.  If you have one done and you still feel you are leaking, ask your doctor to have it repeated.  The reason I say that is this:  When I was pregnant with my oldest son I woke up having minor contractions and what I thoguht was leakign fluid.  I went to L& D and they tested and said i was NOT leaking fluid that it was just urine.  I went home but still really felt it was amniotic fluid, so I called my doc and explained what was going on, she said to go back to the hospital and have them recheck.  I got back to the hospital at around 4pm.  They checked and said yes it was fluid ...my son was born at 6:20 that evening.