Pregnancy 18-24 Community
im 6 months pregnant and my doctor told me i wasnt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am currently 6 months pregnant. I went to the doctor because I haven't had a cycle since june. I missed them all by brown spotting. First he said I had a cyst. Then he said I needed surgery. Then he turned back around and said that  I didnt. I have every sign of a pregnancy including my stomach growing bigger (pregnancy growing). I look 6 months as we speak. He ordered an abdominal ultrasound test. Turns out the lady didn't believe i was pregnant because of the urine and blood negative test results. The ultrasound tech was so rude to me. The lady who did the ultrasound did it less than 2 seconds she also did a vaginal and seen nothing on both. She wouldnt let me see the screen nor ask nor answer questions I had. My so called doctor called me days after the test when the results came in on the day the test was done and told me my ultrasound looks normal and he see a mid cycle it looks like im going to start my period in a week or 2..he said he think its blood. newsflash! i havent had a cycle since june i brown spot a little and thats it. its ashame i have to drive 2 hours back home and see my good doctor who always find something wrong with me. I went to talk to an obgyn and i had to spend a 100 dollars to get ultrasound and she seen the baby...the ultrasound tech at the hosptial didn't even tell me to fill my bladder. the ultrasound my doctor ordered was abdominal to check on my organs only. he never told me this. can anyone give me insight on the situation. I mean i can feel my back kicks and when im on my side i can really feel him. i knew i was pregnant since june but i had a hard time finding out and proving to people that i was. i been back and forth to the doctor due to my insurance that i had at the time i was provided with low poor service.
it was a typo by autocorrect sorry
i will be 5 soon
Wow that's crazy and so rude of them!!! I'm glad you found out what was really going on!!! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes great and you find a better Ob
So are u positive your pregnant? Usually if your pregnant especially blood tests would come back positive. And did the obgyn tell you how far you were by the ultrasound? Because if ur last cylce was in June you be about 3months - just going onto 4.. It seems your in a very odd situation..
lol ya i said that in the subject line first comment lol and no u blood test wouldnt come back normal if u have too much protein and it will make your hormone levels still low i had too much protein
If the obgyn seen the baby your pregnant but did you see the baby? But you can go on a long time without having a period and still not be prego, my friend hasn't gotten her period in over 6 months or more and she's not prego
THIS IS VERY ODD, YOU NEED TO GET A NEW DOCTOR OR GO TO THE ER AND TELL THEM YOU THINK SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR BABY SO THEY WILL DO AN ULTRASOUND
HOW CAN YOU BE 6 MONTHS OR EVEN 5 WHEN YOUR PAGE SAYS YOU CONCEIVED IN JUNE YOU WOULD B LIKE 3 4 AT THE MOST
@pricefamily i said that in the suject line to in the first comment lol my phone has autocorrect im actually 4 months be 5 next month. i went to the obgyn again today and i seen him...the bleeping so called ultrasound tech half assed it and didnt give a sonogram thats why she missed it. and jgness yes i did i was so happy
Ive been having rediculous problems with my ob about giving me an ultrasound, kept claiming my ins didnt cover it and blah blah, then i finally got the nerve to call and little behold, i can have as many as i want, but when I told the OB thta, they started refusing it until 20weeks saying it was harmful for the baby and wouldnt be beneficiarry, Im 16 wks and scheduled an appt for tomorrow which is my last one at that office. Not to mention they are trying to chare me for delivery, when again im only 4 months and havent even had my baby. They said its estimated cost and taht if I didnt pay it then the doctor would refuse to see me. SOmetimes they can be so ignerent and rude, So i know- atlesat with the ignerent ppl- how you feel!!
Have u heard of a hysterical pregnancy? That sounds like what you're having. You can make your body appear pregnant, feel pregnant. It's just a mental thing and it happens to a lot of women. Google it. Your hcg would show up of you were.
I'm not trying to be rude, i'm just a tad bit confused.. Has your obgyn confirmed the pregnancy? If you had an ultrasound he should be able to see the baby, placenta, and ect. Also, a blood test should confirm your hcg levels.
I  DONT THINK ANYONE UNDERSTAND HER
In a viable pregnancy, no matter if there's protein in your urine or not, it will show pregnant, especially at 4-5 months. I conceived in April, and I'm 5 months 1 week..so it does all seem a little odd.. I would see an OB, not some random doctor, and get the answers that way.
I'm a little confused too. So you did see the baby on the ultrasound?

@mrsleffeler: most insurance companies only pay for 3-4 ultrasounds unless there is a medical reason to have one. Also, my OB charged me up front for my prenatal care and delivery. Its so you can pay in installments and be done by time baby is born.
yes i did see an obgyn lol for the first time she was the one that found the baby even though i had to pay 100 dollars i couldnt get a positive becauss i had too much protein...the last ultrasound tech was rude and half assed it. raise your hands if you had a 3second ultrasound...my last doctor ordered the abdominal ultrasound test only to check my organs...she didnt do sonogram...that rude *******...i dont even understand why so called doctors dont listen to patients....im getting prenatal care now...if you still dont understand then i will explain more...even when i had to go to the emergency room i was denied service...the ladyvtold me i wasnt getting an utrasound and to come back if im dying i was left in that room for 8 hours...they even gave medicine for something i didnt have.. i tested negative for infection i didnt take the medicine. ..my insurance at the time finally ranned out and i went to another hospital while in pain they didnt give me any medicine i was left in the room and never came back....the last ultradound tech didnt even tell me to fil my bladder up she half assed that ultrasound like a new student...i had no tumors or cyst...he called me with my ultrasound results and said it looked normal it look like i should be starting my cycle n a couple days ago and a week this was said by him a week or 2 ago...i havent had a cycle since june lol u get it now...i went to the obgyn the day he told me that
This still doesn't make sense yu.said the.first tech did a vaginal and.saw nothing....a vaginal ultrasound is not to see your organs

Also yu wouldn't be almost 5 months because I am almost 5 months and I had my.last. period the very end of April
Hmmm
You said they did an abdominal ultrasound to check your organs but they would still be able to see the baby considering the baby is in your stomach.....
Well around your abdominal area....can't miss a baby if you are nearly 5 months pregnant when doing an abdominal ultrasound. Can't miss a baby when doing a vag ultrasound either!
THIS IS JUST ODD, BUT ITS OKAY HOPE SHE FINDS OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG
And why does your ticker say you are 12 weeks and you are saying you are almost 5 months?....
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT IKNOW IN A COUPLE OF POST SHE SAID HER PHONE WAS AUTO TYPE AND SHE MEANT 4 MONTHS
Also at 12 weeks its not very common to feel the baby...especially how yu explained it
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT, BUT IM NOT TRYING TO BASH HER
My phone has autocorrect but doesn't autocorrect my numbers...

And lovelyglover is right, at 12 weeks you won't be able to feel movement like you described. The baby is just coming over your pubic bone but still very small!!! You wouldn't even be able to tell the sex of the baby at this time either..

1st of all even if u r 3/4 months u dnt need full bladder to c baby. I had scan at 13 weeks i had so full bladder baby couldnt move cause baby had no space. Then she told me to empty it straight away. Asap i did baby extended itself and started moving around. So bladder full or no every tech should be able to c baby at this stage.
2nd yes its very possible not find out positive in blood or urine test due to many reasons especially if u hve thyroid. Or any other problem to do with hcg passing hormones. It happen very rarely but it does happen.
3rd vaginal scans are very strong u mite miss baby with abdominal scan that is if its before 10weeks because i have heard baby hiding or vanishing and reapearing. Plus it does not take 3 seconds 2 tht scan it takes abt 10 to 20 secs. Other time is when they prepare scanner all that i think i just bit exagerated there.
4th if i was on ur place and u think ur pg after getting 100 scan i would hve taken scan picture and would have shoved it on his face. To prove u r pregnant u dnt hve to run around all u hve to do is take baby scan picture from tech.
5th every pregnancy and every women is different according to doctors u ll feel babya movement between 16wks n 22wks. Its hard to differentiate kicks or wind before that.

We are all having sum problem understanding This situation because we all hve gotten these scans done. I knw when i was early at 6wks in previous pregnancy i couldnt c much only sac n teeny tiny baby. I had scan b4 tht as well whn i missed my cycle for 2 months and my doctor did scan and saw nothing bt thickening of line told me i ll hve periods in nxt two weeks. N i did i bled for whole month due to all the blood stored inside. I m 14 weeks now i concieved in june as well.
I am sooooooo confused idk how they wouldnt of.seen the baby. And idk how it was all negative u shuld of came up positive.
IM SURE SHES NOT AND JUST IS MAKING HERSELF THINK ALL THIS STUFF
Your post has me very confused can I ask unless I have missed it else were has anyone actually given you a due date?  Have they advised you how many weeks and days you are as from the scan you had that did show a baby?  I'd be rather concerned if your blood work and urine isn't showing signs of being so far pregnant as you state,  are they looking into this for you?  Have they listened to the baby's heart beat etc? You say you feel baby move that's early I think I was at least past the half way stage,  if I was you I'd be demanding another scan with pictures and medical assistance,  because if what you say is true there is something not right  
Dont think we r being harsh or not helpfull. Some of the things u r saying are not connecting. Women with 2nd or 3rd child actually feel movements around after 13wks thts coz their uterus is already is bit streched out n thy cn tell the difference straight away. I hope u get ur answers soon. Another u/s would be gr8 for confirmation.
@dueoctober22 i knw its hard 2 believe tht urine n blood test showed no positive. One of my friends friend had sme problem. She missed her cycle for 4  mnths doctor ran blood n urine test but negative. Whn she got tired of not knowing whts happening she went emergency in hospital she just made up stuff tht she having cramps thy end up doing u/s n thy found a healthy baby. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Its very rare but it does happen.  
I doubt you will get a straight answer, I asked these questions & she wrote the same thing as what she posted. All I can say is follow it up hun, but please dont be disapointed if you dont have a baby in 7,6,5 or however many months till you think your baby is due. Goodluck..
Why is anyone still responding to this.. she sounds like she's just looking for attention an everyone's feeding into it. If she is preggers good luck to her and the baby.
sorry for responding late and im not good with the ticker because i never used it before and im four months hunny not 5 months i can only tell you guys what happened to me and how i found out i guessed on the ticker because its been months since i had a period and i never keep up with the date just the range so yes its wrong and when i say feel the baby move i mean little kicks you cant feel the real thinf until youre 5 months i think and when i said first ultrasound tech i ment hospital tech which my ex doctor sent me too...my obgyn is the one who found the baby...im not understanding how you can miss a baby and the obgyn says i had too much protein thats why i kept getting having too muvh protein will cause your hcg levels low...im trying to explain this the best way i can if you have any questions please feell free to ask
and i cant check this every hour im a full time college student with 2 jobs so i just get on in the morninf and i have a windows phone it corrects every word and number
The situation isn't hard to understand really. Who knows what happened in the first ultrasound but maybe if they weren't actually looking for a fetus then they wouldn't have seen a fetus? When did they do that first ultrasound by the way? If it was still really early then maybe that explains it.
If you feel more comfortable with your OB and they are the ones that confirmed they saw a fetus then stick with them.
Were you ever given a due date or a picture of the baby then?
im  17 weeks amnd i dont even feel my baby kick yet.....any vaginal u/s will see a baby any blood test that she did that was looking for a pregnacy would have shown positive.....it doesnt add up
Its quite shocking to see how many people are misinformed about so many things to do with pregnancy. I understand everyone is human and can make mistakes.
But first off it IS possible for pregnancy test results to come through negative,. There's a medical condition that can hinder the production of hormone that is tested for. My partners mother in fact had this issue  and no one would believe that she was pregnant but low and behold, my partner's here isnt he.
Second of all. You DO need to fill your bladder for an ultrasound even at 3/4 months. In UK you dont get your first ultrasound until 12 weeks (3 months) and its a requirement to fill your bladder. I infact didnt and as a result they couldn't see anything and I was sent out to drink some water and come back half an hour later.
http://www.baby2see.com/pregnancylength.html
This website explains months ate being counted... Its very possible tht negative blood test or home test u cn be pregnant... But it can not possible that u r 6 months pregnant n thy miss tht baby... I m 24wks pg i still hve to be 26 wks to call my self 6mnths pg...

N i live in uk n i had my u/s between 12-14 wks... My tech told me to empty my bladder as baby was not moving... She had to do measurements all over again after i empty my bladder as baby stretched out...

Yes u need gull bladder before 12wks as fetus is very small... But for vaginak scan ur bladder should be empty... When u r in ur 6th month u r 26wks pg almost getting into third trimester thts the stage fundal measurements just by checking uterus from above stomach...

We r not calling her lier... But its just things dont mke sense especially whn she had u/s... She would hve been givn a due date age of fetus or nything... As a matter of fact i hve spoken to her inbox explaining the situation n i asked her as if thy hve givn her due date she never replied me bck... So i dont know wht to say here  :-)
Pricefamily, my last period was june 17 and I am 23 weeks
Abdominal ultrasound is a sonogram. Sonogram is the fancy term
If i were you, i wouldn't let them get away with that. I'd file a malpractice lawsuit
All that confusion.  Here's some information (some of it is pretty new with the pregnancy test stuff) that might help us understand our sometimes unexplainable bodies...
Most of the time things go normal (when we feel preg the test confirms when it's supposed to) and most of you will never have to think or worry or stress over some of these things (thank goodness) but for those of us that things just aren't showing positive the way we feel like they should here is some helpful things to keep in mind.

There is something called the hook-like affect that occurs for some women where the hcg hormone breaks down into such small fragments that it overloads the indicator stips on the tests and results in a false negative can happen with both blood and urine and usually starts to break down into those fragments after 7-8 weeks pregnancy.  Also it's proven some women produce varient Hcg hormone structure that will not be dected on urine or blood hcg simply bc we dont yet know all the varients possible so none of our preg tests are designed to pick up all the possiblities.  So yes a women can totally be pregnant and still have all negative tests...ESPECIALLY if they are testing past week 5 or 6.  
As for ultrasounds also called sonography/sonogram you first need to understand that our Abdomen is from our ribcage only to the top of our pelvis bone, while or pelvis is only from the top of our pelvis bone down to the pubic symphsis.  So....An ABDOMINAL Ultrasound (Sonogram) only images the specific organs (kidneys, gallbladder, liver, pancreas, abdominal artery located on the top part and outer top part of our body) if you are pregnant unless it's closer to full term an ABDOMINAL ultrasound WILL NOT pick up the pregnancy b/c ultrasound can not penetrate through the air in the bowels/intestines...which sits between those abdominal organ and the pelvis.  A PELVIS ultrasound is totally diffent then abdominal.  The gal here was initally given an abdominal not pelvis, so yes the tech and doctor aren't going to see a baby on that one.  A PELVIS ultrasound (sonogram) can be preformed two ways the first is transabdominally (but only goes over the pelvis even though it's called transabdominally) or transvaginally (via the vagina).  A transabdominal (PELVIS) can miss a pregnancy until it's a little further along especially if the uterus is tilted (it scews the ultrasound waves and can make the preg look 2 weeks delayed), if you have a bad tech (which does happen), or if the tech is in a hurry, rushing or if the machine is a poor or old quality machine.  Usually with the transabdominal PELVIS they do not look above the uterus and overies as they again cant see through the air in the bowels so if a abdominal ecopic (ectopic not in the tube but rather in attacted to the bowels or abdomen) could definately be missed as again the ultrasound cant penetrate the air in the bowels (youd need a mri or ct scan to see that unless it was very advanced 20 weeks +).  And lastly a transvaginal ultrasound does NOT scan the whole abdomen it only reaches the top of the uterus and overies...of which we know sits very low in the pelvis and again a tilted uterus could skew the soundwaves and make miss a early pregnancy or make it look two weeks delayed make it look early on like it's not developing correctly.  So yes things can be missed on ultrasound and you can certainly have false negative hcg on both blood and urine...there are lots of studies out there that prove it in a clinical setting.  The hpt's should not be allowed to stated 99% effective any longer bc it simply has been proven incorrect and is very misleading.  Moral of the story there is still alot of things that haven't been entirely figured out and bodies are complicated and every women is different so if you feel pregnant and are having symptoms it's always a good idea to treat yourself like you are and be presistant at requesting further investigation.  And 20% of women also have period like bleeding during part or even through out their pregnancy so really that's not that uncommon either.
If your one of these people and the doctors are making you feel like it's all in your head...especially if they are basing it on negative hcg...then you NEED TO look up and print out those studies with the  "hook effect" and " hook-like effect" and ask your doctor to rule that out before automatically believing him or her.  Really there is no excuse for doctors and obgyn's not to have full knowledge of this possibility, but apparently it is pretty new information and some doctors that have been in practice long enough just get busy and don't always keep up to date on new information.    
I'm one of those.  Ive been to the er twice in two months for awful morning sickness. Once last month at 4 weeks telling me I had a virus.  It never went away so yesterday I spent all day in the er for the same thing. I should be 8-9 weeks I told them I had pelvic cramps and they did a internnal ultrasound. Next thing I know the jerk doctor came in and said idk why your getting sick everyday I think you have a virus. I said hows my baby? He said uh what?! I said my baby he said your urine  and blood hcg were negative.  I said yeah I know it Always is I had three pregnancys before and my hcg just never showed up. I have a 3 year old and medical records to prove it . The other two I lost :( but with my toddler I vomitted everyday and had a light abnormal bleeding every month and that's exactly what in going through now. What should I do? I woke up vomitting and I cant stand the smell of certain things. If I'm not pregnant then o don't want to feel exactly the same as when I was pregnant.
I took 7 pregnancy tests and a blood test and they all came out negative. Finally the last pregnancy test came out positive. Tests can come out wrong. My second pregnancy it took 11 tests before coming out positive . Its weird, but it happens.
So what happened? Lol. I am 18 weeks and still haven't felt my baby! :(
I concived in june and I'm 19 weeks today!!!!
I Em curtly going through the same thing beside I think i might be 26 weeks Plz help me
Cant you sue them for that?
Hi. I'm also in the same exact situation. Same dates and timing as well. Plus I can feel my baby kicking and moving. All my tests have come back negative. The ultrasound tech wouldn't look beyond my uterus. I saw the baby, but she say it was no baby. It's hard to get anyone to give me an ultrasound. I know I'm pregnant I'm just hoping and praying things will be different and the baby will be revealed to me.
You arent alone! Im only 9 weeks but my doctor refuses to believe im pregnant even though my family history proves that all he women in my family had low hormones. good luck. Xx
Well i'm in a similar situation. I am 28 weeks 3 days pregnant and had negative HPT's  and neg urine test at doctor and neg blood test.. They dont want to do an ultrasound but i demanded it. Have not had it done yet. Appt next week. I had implantation bleeding and many pregnancy symptoms and now am showing (my belly is growing and i am not overeating) and most importantly i have been feeling fluttering movements since week 15! I know for sure i am pregnant!  It is not wishful thinking... If my damn OB will not do an ultrasound i am immediately going to the ER to get an ultrasound
Well i'm in a similar situation. I am 28 weeks 3 days pregnant and had negative HPT's  and neg urine test at doctor and neg blood test.. They dont want to do an ultrasound but i demanded it. Have not had it done yet. Appt next week. I had implantation bleeding and many pregnancy symptoms and now am showing (my belly is growing and i am not overeating) and most importantly i have been feeling fluttering movements since week 15! I know for sure i am pregnant!  It is not wishful thinking... If my damn OB will not do an ultrasound i am immediately going to the ER to get an ultrasound. I know there are FALSE NEGATIVE urine and blood tests!!!!!
I believe this happens. Just like a girl I seen that was admitted to the hospital and was under doctors care for 'unexplainable" seizures. She ended up being 7mths preggo and was seizing due to having pre eclampsia.  She gave birth days later.
That's exactly what's happening to me. I want to announce the news to everyone but without a pic from the ultrasound they aren't going to believe me
I completley undstand what you are saying maybe if people learn how toread carefully instead of making any judgements. And you shouldnt have to be explaining your self eihter. Same thing happend to me im currently six n a half months pregnant and since the beggining the doctors said that i was pregnant and that i had cysts and been bounced around from doctor to doctor funny thing is i have five kids and i would know if i was fregnant and i too was having brown sorta like bleeding avery month but my stomach started to grow and morning sickness and cravings and i explained to my doctor that with my daughter i kept getting urine and blood tests negative until i finally did a hpt and it was possitive after the fifth month and then went back to show them and then they did another blood and urine and came bck possitive. So I can happen and dont take your doctors word for it they are humans too and not god and do make mistkes! You as a woman know your own body. I had a client who they kept telling her she wasnt pregnant but she kept insisting that she was until last monday i called her because she missed her appt to come see me and she was in the hospital and i asked if everthing was ok and she said they finally admitted to me that I was preganant and i am 7mo pregnant! So they were running her all these test to see if the baby was ok. Ladys pay attention to your body.. Hope this helps?
ok the only thing I don't understand... if you CONCEIVED in June how are u possibly 19 weeks today? There's four weeks in every month, (some 5) but that wouldn't even make u a full 8  weeks today....it's July right now. I don't understand.
@chantel314 I was thinking the exact same thing. It's impossible to conceive in June and be that far along in July. Maybe it was a misuse of the word conceived.
Btw, just noticed this post was from a long time ago. Interesting story though. Hope everything turned out well.
Wow that was a crazy thread!! Funny thing the OP seemed like the only sane calm one most of the other " this doesn't add up" posts reminded me if the mean girl clicks in high school!! Isn't there a tv show " I didn't know I was pregnant" I guess they are all lying to when they got neg results!! DUH!
There is a condition where your hormones malfunction and make your body think you're pregnant. You'd get all the signs including a growing belly. If there's no fetus, thats most likely what it is. If you had a tumor in your uterus that could also cause your body to think its pregnant, but that would show up on an ultrasound. But its uncalled for how rude they were. They should be professional and have better bedside manner.
Two years old
I have had 30 negative urine tests and four ultrasounds, but I still cant shake the feeling that I am pregnant.  I dont know what to do, the doctor wont test my blood becasue of the many neg urine tests.  the last ultrasound was at 24 weeks...or what would be..... is there anyway I could be pregnant?  I am on the pill, and therefore have had a bleed each month but only very very light and very different to usual.  The doctor wont take me seriously....I jsut want to know for sure!  Please help
Dont listen to some of these people. The same thing happened to my sister. She was having the hardest time and didnt know why she felt like it but they were saying she wasnt and they wouldnt show her the ultrasound. She went to a different clinic and they did the test and sure enough she was and did the ultra sound a lil while later to see the baby. It happens just keep your head up and make sure the baby and yourself are healthy
At what stage was that?
I had 2 ultrasounds my whole pregnancy im 7 months & my bladder was empty both times
THIS POST IS BACK IN 2012 LOL I'm sure she would of been back on to TALK IF SHE HAD THE BABY? Lol I would even bother ..
Wouldnt**
So a scan at 6 months can't miss a baby?! 100%?!
Imp MAY 30th
Normal 28-29 day cycle
5-7 medium flow 1 day heavy last day light
No period June 27, 28
July 1st doctor appointment , Doc says wait a month
July 2nd 3rd 5th spot only when Wipe
Dollar Store Brand 2 pack 1 test Circle turned completely Blue The next one test control Circle had no line considered Both inconclusive
Hpt CLear Blue Digital negative On July 11th
All tests used first morning pee
No period still July 25th
Doc Appointment July 29th
Qualitative Blood test negative
Doc says Wait another month
August 1st lifted approximately 35 lbs felt pain in lower abdoman spotted for 3 hours
Any 3rd spot only when wipe Sometimes
August 22nd still no period
August 29th Doc appointment trys to tell me to wait another month. I said NO I need something for an answer. Now I have pelvic ultrasound scheduled for Next Week September 2nd.
Could my results Be wrong at those times the tests were done?
I Understand What You Were Saying Too , Some ppl Don't Take Time and actually read **** .. lol but i completely understand what you were explaining.!
Just trying to keep it simple. That's how I like it. Wish the doctor would keep it simple. Also wish ppl would give an update on this.  Looked at many many threads ladies wanting answers then they don't update.  Gurr...very frustrating.
I had spotting my 6 and 12 weeks of pregnancy and no I have a missed period at 16 weeks ! I'm not stressed at all .. My periods have always been normal ! I've always been thin !! Have every sign of pregnancy but. They say I'm not and it's killing me ....