Pregnancy 18-24 Community
will 0.10 mg birth control pills still prevent pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am on a 0.10 mg dose of Aviane birth control pills that I take daily at 6:30. I am very good about taking them at the same time every day, but since the dose is so low, will it still prevent me from getting pregnant? Also, does having sex right before your period (or in my case, the day before you change from the hormone pills to the week of placebo pills) raise your chances of getting pregnant?
I dnt know about the dosage but as long as you wait however long on the package before having unprotected intercourse, you'll have a lower risk. Remember it's not always guaranteed though. My aunt had twins and had been on birth control for months before then
Im pretty sure in the package it still reccomends using a back up like condoms in between packs (dring the placebos) As far as being effective it should be if taken properly but its always best to use condoms as well to be on the safe side and the pill alone doesnt protect against STD/STIs

My one friend was on the same dose BC and she got pregnant twice on it... really thinking the first time was a fluke... turns out low dose BC is not her friend... but for the most part that really should be an isolated occurance...
.10 mlg adivan is how I'm pregnant now
do you know if it is just because the dosage is so low or if it was just something really unusual that happened?
Im not sure about my friend but low dose is what is allowed for nursing mommas and i was gonna try it out and that lasted not even a month just because there is no room for error and i kept forgetting it lol anyway... is there a reason specifically that you are on the low dose, maybe you would feel more comfortable on a different stronger kind?
no matter what the dosage is or the type of birth control it WILL NOT always prevent pregnancy! my aunt got pregnant on it TWICE, and i know multiple other women who have gotten pregnant on it. use condoms!!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers