Pregnancy 35+ Community
Amniotic Fluid Leak - How can you tell?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Amniotic Fluid Leak - How can you tell?

Hi ladies:

How can you tell if you're leaking amniotic fluid, or if it is just pee?  Twice this week I've noticed a bit more wetness down south than usual. I heard that if you have a leak, it gets worse when you are lying down, which isn't the case for me.  Just on two occassions, after waiting to go pee for a few hours while working at my computer (or posting to this site!), I noticed the wetness.  The only thing I did differently is try to hold it longer than normal.

I have my OB appointment today and will ask her, but thought I'd get your much appreciated opinions, too.  

Hopefully I'm just peeing my pants, LOL.  I am so paranoid after all my mcs...

Wow, if I didn't know better I'd think that I had written that post.  I'm paranoid too!  I've often wondered the same thing about leaking and I'm going to my ob today as well and will ask.  I have some days where I'm wet and watery stuff always seems to be leaking (tmi, I know) and then days when things are pretty dry.  This is kind of gross but it's what I do to get through the day.  Use toilet paper or tissue to wipe that "area" when you're not using the restroom and check to see that it's thin and white.  If it is, you're ok.  If it's constantly dripping and clear then see your doctor.  After 3 m/c's it seems I expect something to go wrong. =(  Also, I'm 7 months along and vaginal discharge and pressure on the bladder is only suppose to get worse so I expect more.  
I would bet it's lil Robert kicking your bladder in turn making some pee come out of you. That's the way the doctor explained to me that sometimes you seem wetter down there. I would say if it seems to have an odor other then urine, maybe go have it checked out. Like Marie said, if it's thin and clear then you should be okay. The thing that doesn't help is lots of toilet paper has colorful designs on it, which can make it hard if we are looking for streaks of blood! While pregnant I buy nothing but plain white toilet paper! I am always so paranoid with things like that though because I have a history of my water breaking at home with no warning what so ever! Lucky me now that I live so far out in the boonies and my husband is working 2 hours away! Ugh!!
At my birthing class they said amniotic fluid smells a little sweet, musky and earthy.  

This is probably TMI also and little off the subject but as long as we are sharing.. for a while now, it just seems like down there is never fresh... It can be 9 or 10 in the morning and down there you would think I just ran a marathon or something.. Is anybody else going through that?  I have dr appt today also.. i'm gonna mention it to her and see what she says..
Hannah- I remember that same thing with my son 10 yrs ago, yeah it's something you can't forget especially when you don't like the way it smells! ACK! It could be that you are thinning out and getting ready to have this lil one! It could be a slow amniotic leak mixed with the thinning out, that was my case and then one day it just busted! Also, it could be a little bit of urine from Jacob not having much room to move to he kind of stretches and make some urine slip out. Just make sure you wear cotton underwear to soak it all up and so you can *breathe* down there!
tanker: omg that is me! Also, I'm having the same issue as the rest of you gals but mine isn't dischargy at all (aka thin and white). For me it's just panty wetness that I have always been assuming is just a little pee leakage because little Christopher kicks the bladder ALL the time. But tanker, your description of sweet,musky and earthy sounds kind of familiar...I would say mine's been smelling yeasty. Now I'm wondering if I, too, should be worried?? I'll ask the doc when I go on Monday.
Thanks for all the comments.

Mine is more watery too, although I have the other thin and white stuff as well.  I wear a panty liner all the time, so no bleeding.  I'm pretty sure it's pee but am going to ask the doc to check.  It doesn't drip at all to my knowledge, and hasn't occurred while lying down.  Just while working and trying to hold it in.  And, not constant.  Just two occurrences in two days.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know what the doc says.

I'm dreading on getting on that scale!  
I'm glad I'm not the only one.. I was started to wonder... it is like there is a constant not fresh funk down there.  My panties to often have a slight dampness but even when they are completely dry.. nothing seems fresh.. and it isnt' a fishy odor like a bacterial infection.. just a not fresh smell.. like I need to take a shower but I just took one..

I'm dreading getting on that scale too.. in the last 3 wks I have gained 9 lbs... that is 3 lbs a week.. I CANNOT continue on like this.
I have started to wear a panty liner all the time... feels like my underwear is always damp and I can't stand that...
I was leaking amniotic fluid with my last pregnancy. I do not remember it smelling funny. I just remember my panty liner getting soaked. I told my OB and they checked the drainage/fluid with a special tape that changes color if it is amniotoc fluid. I was 41 weeks so they induced me and everything was fine.
yes... please let us know what the dr says... I too have the very wattery stuff... Its almost too thin for pee. no oder.  I ended up putting diaper rash cream down there!!!
I just kept thinking I needed to do some kegle? (spell) more often...
I wonder if Im drinking too much water and its just getting too full so fast? I dont go in till Next Tuesday. from sooo much moisture Ladies... I recommend balmex. clears you in one day!! also for the little butties when they come... smile. and it doesnt burn to put on.
when I worked in the daycare when my child was little I worked in the infant room learned what to use and what not to use.. lol Im sure things have chnged since then. but when you learn about something that works... I tend to stick with it.. I also read about Dr Browns baby bottles? were really great for the newborns with gas. I need to look more into that one too..
Good luck with the dr visits...
OK, I'm back.  In and out in 20 minutes!   All is well with the baby.

Here's the skinny:

Amniotic fluid leakage- She said that it would be continuous, and that in most cases it's pretty obvious.  She was sure that I wasn't leaking based on just two incedents.  

High altitudes -- She said it's fine to go up to the mountains (like Tahoe where we go a lot), but to avoid it as you get close to your due date.

Have a great day.  Back to work.
So glad to hear that everything is okay!
is your pee thick hahaha
lol...no... the other stuff is just soo much thinner... lol
SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE!!!
im sure if you were to do a lab. resurch... it would be thinner... smile... oh fine... darn it ask your dr tomorrow... after you find the sex out!.... I can picture you now.. is pee thicker than the amnioic fluid in your belly...??? do that for me will ya.? heeee heeee
Im 35 weeks with my first and recently it seems like it's a little wetter down in my panties....and it's usually when I'm laying down...especially when I'm tossing and turning. No idea if it's pee or amniotic fluid, but it doesn't really smell like ee to me...