Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
At what point should you on sleep on your left side?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am 11 weeks today. I know at some point during pregnancy they recommend that pregnant women should only sleep on their left side. At what point is this recommended? I find myself most comfortable on my back but I don't want to keep sleeping this way if it's not recommended.

Thank You
For me i started doing this at 12 weeks,not sure on actual time frame,supposed to be.but it does become difficult sleeping on your side,later in pregnancy,anything like me i roll over.im used to sleeping on my back and tummy,not sides,nightmare.so i would start now.it isnt recommended sleeping on your back later in pregnancy,but not sure at this stage.but start praticeing.
yeah i would start now cause im 26 weeks now and i didn't practice it so now im rollin over on my back all the time! by the way we change weeks on the same day. :)
I am 12 weeks today and have been sleeping on my sides since about week 6. It is very difficult and my sides hurt sometimes and I switch but I figured I should get used to it early.
I slept on my back and even on my stomach until it was no longer comfortable, which was about week 26 or so.  After that, I put an extra pillow on my back so my back could be elevated.  As long as you're elevated, you'll be fine.  I am now 38 weeks and there's no way I can sleep on my back, even with the pillows because it's very uncomfortable.  This started around week 35 or so.  You have to sleep however is comfortable for you, and if that's on your back, then so be it.  Just make sure you're elevated so the blood can flow.  
There are reason why you shouldnt sleep on your back.

Don't lie flat on your back for long periods of time, particularly after 16 weeks.

This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby. This is a result of your abdomen resting on your intestines and major blood vessels
The biggest reason you aren't supposed to sleep on your back after 16 weeks is because there is a major blood vessel called the vena cava, and the weight of the uterus while sleeping on your back pushes against it, and the blood flow is reduced to the uterus.  It's not about comfort. . . it's about safety for the little one.
Exactly.  You shouldn't lay FLAT on your back.  As long as you're elevated, it's fine.  This came from my doctor, I didn't make it up.  So if the way she's comfortable is on her back, then she can use one a pillow or even buy one of those that keep you elevated.
And with that said, I know a lot of people with children that never even knew about the no sleeping on your back concept.  Needless to say, they're kids are healthy and they were actually surprised when I complained about not being able to sleep on my back.  Just saying...
I think most thing pregnant women are told is over the top.  Women back in the day did LOTS of stuff back in the day and have healthy children.  
My doctor said sleep anyway I'm comfortable. She had no problem with me laying on my back. I stopped as I got bigger because it wasn't comfortable but was never told that I have to always sleep on my left side.
I agree 100%!  For example, my mom had hypermensis and the only thing that soothed her nausea was coffee!  And we are all perfectly healthy!  She ate fish, never had an ultrasound, and never took prenatal vitamins.  Haha.  Now a days is just too much worrying.  I'm not saying forget everything they tell you, but sometimes is all a bit too much.
You dont need to sleep on your left side always,the ruling is its best,as this helps the oxygen flow,either side wouldnt matter,its mostly the back.some women back in the day had diffirent methods of dealing with pregnancy,but medicine and medical science has come along way since.and there are reason why you shouldnt,eat or do certain things,why take the risk,after with have all travelled this far to get our little ones.
I asked my doctor about sleeping on my side and she said any position is fine as long as I am comfortable but that later on in pregnancy I will probably prefer to be on my side when I am so big and heavy :D
Shannon79 commented on Saw the babies again ...
Lumibutterfly is awaiting Baby Peanut :) Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy