Castor oil to induce labor...has it worked or not?
I'm just over 37 weeks, and I had a doctor's appointment today.  He said I'm 1-2 cm dilated and my cervix is very soft so contractions will make me dilate easily.  I have BH contractions regularly almost every night and some will get intense and regular and some will be just the tightening of the uterus.  I've bought the castor oil and I'm slightly nervous about taking it.  I've been VERY constipated for the past week or so, so the loose BM's I'm not concerned about...I think they actually might make me feel better.  I've done a lot of research about it, and it's 50/50.  I just want to know what others think...
I've heard both good things and bad things about castor oil. But why do you wanna take it if you are just over 37 weeks? its better for you if you just wait a couple more weeks, labor might start sooner than you think!
hi well i went to 40 weeks and i just could not take it anymore so took some castor oil and i was in the hospital that next morning in labor only 3hrs and had the baby so it helped me or it was just time haha but no it wont hurt for you to try or you could do the bast one which is sex that usally always gets things started good luck let us know what happens
Well I took 2 TBS with OJ (which tasted just like OJ with pulp b/c I got the tasteless and odorless kind) aroudn 7:45 so we'll see how it goes
Keep us posted...I would like to see how Or if it works....I am to scared to try it myself....Good Luck to you!
Hey I did the castor oil thing mixed with some pineapple juice and the 7 hours later my water broke lol. I was so ready and it was the most wonderful feeling in the world! I know that it will definitely take care of your bm problem (lol) but it will only happen if you and the baby are ready, but since you are already dilated it might cause you to have stronger contractions!!! YAY!
Well a little after hour # 3 and nothing more than a slightly loose BM....Stomach started making the "gurgle" sounds you get before you-know-what happens, so we'll see how I feel here in another hour or two....

Nickieb - How much castor oil did you take?  I've only taken half of what they normally say.  4 TBS is what I've read to take, but I wanted to start slow, so I only took 2 TBS, and read that I can take another dose later if need be....How far along were you?  Dilated? Efaced?
You can take 2 tablespoons and wait an hour if nothing happens. If you are only 37 weeks it will not do anything unless your body is ready to give birth. It has to do with hormones that are realeased to the placenta and everything. I wuold wait a week if nothing happens and start drinking red rasberry leaf tea then at 38 weeks use evening primrose oil on your cervix. THe baby has to be down to put pressure on the cervix, you need prosiglandins (that you can get from seman) that help the cervix and also need oxitocin ( which you get from nipple stimulation and you haveing and orgasm) to have labor start good. But even with induction and beign what you are if all of your body is not ready it will not happen. CAstor oil is best when used in early labor when you have been having good contrctions already that just have not gotten stronger and you are 39+ weeks.
Going into hour # 4, and I'm going to take another 2 TBS for a total of 4.  I've had 1 loose BM, not even diarrhea worthy.  I'll be happy if I get any diarrhea because I've been so constipated for the past week its been giving me some horrible back pains.  Baby or no baby, in my opinion I win because I know I'll feel better after it's all done.
I hear ya on your little problem there! That is NO fun either!! good luck
I took the four full tspns and was already 3 cm dilated and they wouldn't take me into the hospital until I was 4 cm or my water broke, I was also 60% effaced and at a 0 station. I was 36 weeks and 4 days and I started having contractions soon after taking the oil (my mom thought I was crazy) and I went to sleep just to wake up at 4 am when I thought I had to pee and my water broke lol!
I never took the castor oil. I was 38 weeks and I really wanted my baby to come because my husband was leaving to Europe for work.  My doctor understood my frustration. So she did a procedure called Scrapping the Membrane.  Something like that. I was already 1 or 2cm dialated when she did this.  It is suppose to bring on labour. It was a quick procedure and it didnt hurt.  That night I lost my mucus plug. The next morning my water broke. Maybe ask your doc about that?
Into hour 9, had my 1st case of the "runs" at 3:30 and that was it. Some very very mild contractions that are irregular, not too far off from BH's. Might take another dose sometime later, we'll see how this goes. Not horrible at all though.
Please pm me and let me know how it goes,im just past 40 weeks now,have heard of castor oil,but heard bad reviews on it,let me know if it works.good luck.
Well it's been over 12 hours since I took the castor oil...Didn't have a bad experience with it.  I just don't think my son is ready to come yet.  No stomach cramps, no bad contractions.  I might try it again if I become overdue.  I had the "runs" twice, which I actually feel a lot better since I've been constipated, but there was nothing more than soem BH's here and there.  Good luck to anyone else who tries it.... All pregnancy's are different, and all medications/supplements/etc, work differently on different people.  I've never been one to get horribly sick.  So just because I didn't have a bad experience doesn't mean someone else won't, so just take small doses 1st.
So, went all day with nothing, just my normal BH's...What I'm really disappointed about is that I just went to the bathroom...and I'm constipated again.  How the heck can that be?!?!?
I woudl reccomend eating lots of yogurt for the constipation! It does help and replaces the flora you need in the digestive tract. The baby is big now and lower so you have pressure there and pregnancy is a natural diuretic anyway so odds are aginst ya with taht reguard. Hope you feel better and try the red rasberry tea so when you do go into labor it will be easier to dialate, well that is if you stay upright.
Can you get the raspberry tea at any store?  Would it be in the "food isle" or the "dietary supplements isle"
FYI came into L&D at 930pm with contractions, 3 cm's dilated, e hours later I was at 4 cm's. Now I've been admitted, IVed up, epi in, now waiting to have my water broken...don't know if it was the castor oil that did it, but my little man will finally be here soon!!!
YAY!!! Your pregnancy journey is coming to an end and your new bundle will be here soon!!!
OMG Yay for you!! Let us know when he is here!! Congrats!
awww im jealous! haha congrats! im so excited to hear about your new bundle. keep us posted when you can!
Luck lucky girl.Im tempted to do the castor oil,but scared.im still 4cm and nothing happening now 2 days over.fed up big time.good luck girl.look forwards to pics..
yay  you are finally having the baby well i guess sometimes it is all up to the little ones as to when they are ready but sometimes it dont hurt to kinda give them a push haha so thats why i did the castor oil, like i said i was in labour the next morning so i guess it works diff for everyone good luck
Yay!!!! Congratulations!!! I hope by now ur little bundle of joy is here! Hope ur l&D went smooth! x
any one no if she had her baby just wont to no
by the way to those that wanted to know, taking castor oil at 40 w is sometimes discouraged because some believe it can lead to muconium in the water. (baby passes stool)
I took the castor oil at just over 37w and got the runs and some strong contractions for a day then they went away.

if it doesn't work then your body just isn't ready.
what do they do on the membrane sweep x
I hope it works for me... as ov Monday I wasn't dilated any.. & my cervix was completely closed Friday at about 4 I took castor oil & at about 2 in da morning I was at da hospital  I had contractions nothing I couldn handle.... contractions we're 5-10 mins apart... but they sent me home because I was only dilated to 1cm :( ..... after I left the hospital I was in alit IV pain... so I went 2 sleep & woke up wid no pain at all Jus a BM... so later on today (Saturday)  I took another dose... at bou 2:30 at bou 6 I was having contractions again nothing I couldn't handle maybe 3 min apart or so... den i didnt feel them...but now there coming & goin again at bou 5 min apart again... so currently Jus waiting. 2 see what happens... Wish Me Luck...
-By the way I'm 37weeks & 2
i took 2 oz of castor oil with 4 oz of dr pepper at 1:30 pm. 3 and a half hours later all ive experienced is a bit of nausea and a regular bowl movement with the stomach gurgles lol. Im 38 weeks pregnant with my third child (first one using castor oil) so im hoping things start moving along.
update: two hours later, all ive had is another bowel movement(this time a loose one) sorry for TMI. No more nausea..and i dont really feel much of anything. I bounced on the birthing ball for an hour and tried nipple stimulation. will go for a run later but nothing yet, so if something changes ill post again.
so did you do anything else after taking the castor oil? like walk, bounce, sex, ect? and did you take it on an empty stomach? I took the whole 4 tablespoons in one big gulp, but am experiencing kind of what you did in the beggining. (not much of anything) so far just two bowels in 5 and a half hours.
UPDATE: at 10 pm i started having regular contractions3-5 minutes apart. They werent painful but very strong. So i went into labor and delivery and they monitered my labor to be every 1-2 minutes apart by 11 pm. i went from a zero to 2 cm dialated. They tried to stop my labor with lots of fluids and medications even though i am 38 weeks. It only slowed them down. By 2 am the contractions were strong and hurt! lots of bloody show. But by 8 am they sent me home because my body would not progress past a two. It is now 12 pm and i am still having contractions.
hi me 40 weeks preg wanna take castor oil how often can  take pre day