Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Getting the Flu Shot while Pregnant

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Getting the Flu Shot while Pregnant

Have any of you gotten the flu shot while pregnant? I'm currently almost 19 weeks and would get my shot at 20 weeks.

My doctor has advised me to get the flu shot. I have a history of bronchitis and upper respiratory infections and take public transit daily. She is a very good doctor and I respect her opinion, and yet I do feel a bit nervous about getting the shot. She says the risk of contracting the flu outweighs the risks of getting a flu shot while pregnant.

What do you think?
Also: I am currently on my second cold as many months! Am an avid hand washer/sanitizer user, and have good eating and sleeping habits. Am beginning to believe it that pregnant women have suppressed immune systems. :(
I got mine. I didnt feel well for a few days but other than that it was fine
I got my flu shot and didn't feel good for like two or three days and now everything is fine
Cool. Do you ladies mind me asking how far along you were when you got the shot?
Getting your flu shot is recommended if you will be pregnant thru the flu season. Just make sure you are given the shot with low mercury. Tell them you are pregnant when you get your shot.
I got mine at about 16 weeks when I was pregnant with my son.
I got mine and I'm just over four weeks. Just get the one for pregnant women
i was only like 9 weeks pregnant when i got my flu shot(in 2009)... i didnt get the H1N1 vaccine till they had the one that was safer for pregnant women(against Drs wishes) i dont remember how far along i was then... but i am pro vaccination, what ever antibodies i can pass to my baby is better...

and yes when pregnant parts of your immune system are suppressed while other areas are enhanced... to prevent your body from attacking the baby (who is like an organ transplant that your body sees as part "self" and part "foreign")
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
14 mins ago
melimeli BRING BACK THE NEWSFEED! Comment
1 hr ago
stacey10 commented on stacey10's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy