Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
HELP...bee sting and pregnancy....

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

HELP...bee sting and pregnancy....

I will be 27 weeks tomorrow and I was walking outside in our yard with my son and somehow stepped on a bumble bee and it immediately stung me. It was sooooooo painful and I had to hop back inside and figure out what had happened. I was crying like a baby it was so painful. I haven't been stung in years by anything, and this is the first time it ever happened on the bottom of my foot. There is no stinger in my foot, but it's swollen and red. The pain has decreased some but every so often I get a stinging pain that shoots through my foot. Should I take benadryl as a precaution or put some ice on it? Anything to worry about with baby?? It really freaked me out. I don't think I am allergic, so that's a good thing I guess. I won't be walking around the yard with just flip flops anymore...shoes all the way.  As I type, I am laying down and trying to stay off of my foot, just so I don't aggravate it more. UGH! Never a dull moment.
Ice is fine.  I'm hesitant about the Benadryl, because advice about medications should come from your doctor.  

Watch for signs of infection (worsening of the redness, increasing pain, increasing swelling, hot to the touch).  

There are also some remedies available at the drug store that you can tab on the sting.  Some people use meat tenderizer (mixed into a little paste with water) on it.
Pregnant women are not supposed to take allergy medications. I recently called to ask about this and they're all in a class that say you cannot take them in the 3rd trimester. So I told the pharmacist, "If it's not safe in the 3rd trimester, there's no way I'm taking it in the 2nd!" They have no studies to show if they're safe or not.

Ice should help. I'd call your doctor, just in case, let them know what they think.
Thanks ladies!! I've been trying to stay off of my foot, and thankfully the swelling has subsided greatly. I was getting a little worried at how quickly it swelled up, but it must have been the initial attack. Other than it being a little tender, I think I will be okay. No need for benadryl. I was actually told by my doc and midwife it was okay to take if needed during pregnancy. Is this something new that just came up? I took it with my son (it was the only thing that helped me as I had many sinus issues with him) and had no problems. But I definitely skip any and all medications if I don't need it. Thanks again!
Bee stings really suck, I haven't had one in years but I hope after reading your post that I don't get one soon, lol. Feel better sweetie!
Thanks Tasia! The last time I was stung I was maybe 8 or 9? And it was by a yellow jacket, he got my finger. OUCH! My foot is just really sore from where the bee got me...I'm glad it wasn't worse.
I was stung yesterday by a bee on my upper lip and i am still in my first trimester of pregnancy.  I felt really crap afterwords. My lip swole up but the worst was the burning in my nose and eyes and that was really bad.  Today I can bearly turn my neck and it is stiff. Dont feel very good.  I am not worryd about me but I am very conserned about what the effects of the bee venom have on the fetus. If I feel so horrible how does the baby feel?  What effects would it have on the baby in the womb??? How much venom reach the womb?
(eng is not my first language)
H
Shannon79, and KTowne commented on Shannon79's status
Stashie23009 Feeling pretty good! ate re... Comment
Shannon79 commented on krichar's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy