Is this true?
I took Baby G in for his 6 month check up and immunization last week - he's going to be 7 months tomorrow.

Anyway...I've been exclusively breastfeeding - except for a bit of formula in a sippy cup before bed - and solids which I've introduced in the last month.  My GP asked if I wanted to wean and I said I did.....definitely before I go back to work in February, but that I don't know where to begin because, unlike my older son, G has been rejecting bottles since he was 9 weeks old and only grudgingly takes the sippy cup before bed.  I'm still BFing him 4 times per day.  My doctor told me to "just quit" if I wanted to and that G would "figure it out"....and would take a cup or bottle if there was no other option.

Is this true?  Does this work?  I don't want for him to become dehydrated or hungry.  He's already below average  (10th percentile) for weight and below average (25th percentile) for height - he's a small guy.  I definitely don't want to be denying him any nourishment.

Tonight, he would only take 1oz. of formula from me before bed.  He still sleeps through the night when he has such a small amount, but I worry....
Not sure on the BFing thing, I personally wasn't able to BF past 6 weeks for a lack of supply. I had a friend with the same issue. Her son was 11 months at the time, and the dr told her to put a tiny dab of chocolate on the nipple...I don't know if you're into that idea or not, but it worked for her. I don't see why it would hurt if it was just a tiny bit, or maybe strawberry or something a little different, maybe a dab of his favorite food...

Sorry I couldn't really help. Good luck!
I don't have any expirience with just stopping bfing, but when I weaned my dd at 14 months she finally started taking a sippy.  She would never take a bottle or sippy for me, but as I cut her feedings one by one she just seemed to start taking a cup.  She has also always been on the small side (10% weight, 25% height), but stopping bfing didn't seem to affect her weight much.  I know it is a different situation because my dd was older, but like your Dr. said they just figure it out.  I was also told that if they sleep well at night that it is a good sign they are getting enough to eat during the day.  Now I don't know if that is a proven fact or anything, but just something I've heard.  Sorry if this isn't much help, but I hope your little guys start figuring a bottle or sippy out for you!
Sorry sweetie as you know I didn't BF that long with Kahlan...I wish I could help. Kahlan took to the sippy cup like no problem....and she's skinny too (23-29% on average for weight but over 75% for weight) so I was always afraid when it came to weaning her....I'd say gradually cut back the BFings and he'll eventually get thirsty enough to start using the cup more but I wouldn't just stop all of a sudden..i mean I'm sure it would work, but BFing is a gift of love and not one that I would personally withdraw after 6-7 months all of a sudden because it is so comforting to Mister G.

Maybe cut back one BFing a day each week until he's only on solids and the sippy cup, but I wouldn't go too much faster than that so he can learn how to replace with the cup and not just freak out and do it because he's panicked and thirsty. Weaning always stinks for the momma that's for sure :(.
scuse me I meant over 75% for height..LOL
I think that it is cruel. Your child wouldn't understand and relies on you for security and nourishment. That is my personal opinion. I would keep offering the sippy cup or bottle and solids to make up for nursing less and less.
Well I cut my dd off cold turkey ( which I dont think was cruel, thats harsh!)  but she was 14 months and we were only bfing 2 times a day. I did it so I could ovulate and get pregnant again. My hubby just took over bedtime for a week and gave her a bottle of warm milk. If a sippy works that ok too. She honestly did not care it was harder on me than her, infact the first night she had her first sleep over at grandmas b/c I thought I would want to bf her. I would try it and see, if he really wants the boo b he'll let you know, you might be surprised.
I have to agree with Joy here, I wouldn't do the "just quit" method unless it was a very last resort.  Try offering the sippy cup FIRST at every feeding....even if you pump and put breastmilk in it so he has a familiar/liked taste.  Then once you get him where he will take the sippy cup rather well you can mix the BM and formula and slowly decrease the concentration of BM and add more formula.   I wouldn't give up if he doesn't take to it at first.  A couple of my kids would absolutely REFUSE a sippy cup then all of the sudden out of nowhere, literally in like one day, took to it just fine.  

Perhaps if you just skip a BF'ing during the day and ONLY offer him the cup during that time.  He probably wont' take it at first but he will eventually realized that if he's hungry he need to eat it.  

He is only 7 months old and as Joy said he depends on you for security and he's not old enough to understand whats going on.  Just try to offer the cup (or a bottle) FIRST at every feeding....increase the time every day or two that you make him try the cup before offering the breast.  See how that works BEFORE just pulling the rug out of from under him so to speak.
You still have plenty of time, no need to just quit suddenly like that and confuse him. I can't think of what they are called, but there are bottles that are supposed to help ease his transition over. You could use them and put BM in them for a bit until he is taking them regularly.
If he will take the sippy cup though, even though its just before bed, then thats progress. maybe try that approach with him. Give him the sippy cup in the morning and BF the other three feedings until he is comfortable with that, then start giving him the sippy cup every other time, etc.
Thanks, everyone :-)

My intention is to do a gradual wean, if possible - it's what I did with my older son....and I think it's easier on the baby (and on Mommy!) when it's done that way.  

I think I'm going to wait until my older son starts school next month (he's going into Junior Kindergarten....or pre-k as I guess it's called in the States - I'm in Canada) to really focus on it.  At least I have a few months until I need to go back to work so I can take my time with it :)
No Limonada, just quitting is not the answer.  I can't believe a GP would tell you that.  Exclusively breastfed babies rely on you for more than just their next meal.  It is also about security, comfort, suckling and maybe more I haven't mentioned.  I have Googled this a lot because I am wanting to wean now.  My youngest will be a year on Sept. 10th and I really wanted to be done by then.  We will see because I am not having a lot of luck, but I do know that just quitting is not the right approach.  I would keep trying the sippy cup.  I would also continue to offer the bottle, but I would have someone else do that if you can.  Your son associates the breast with you and will most likely refuse anything else at this point.  Try having hubby, friend or family member offer the alternative methods.  Also, try giving more solids during the day.  BUT remember that your baby is still relying on breastmilk or formula for his daily nutritional needs.  I would expect that the night time feedings are going to be the last to go.

I'm there with you!  It is super hard and in my case, it's my fault.  I would give her a bottle of breast milk early on.  Well, I wouldn't but my husband would.  As time went on, when I would leave, I would just feed Mary before I would leave and when I would get home.  She was getting older and not having to eat as often so I could go tot he store or whatever and not worry.  I got lazy about pumping, etc.  I shouldn't have done that.  I am paying for it now.

Anyway, what I have told you is what I have read.  My pediatrician has a whole section about this on her website.  I will PM you that and I am sure it will help.

Take Care,
Michele
My sister in law took DD for a couple of hours, waited til DD was hungrey and she took the bottle without issue for her. The bottle had breast milk in it. I was trying to get her ready for my return to work and had to get her used to the bottle and DD absolutely would not take a bottle for me or DH. Once she took the bottle for my SIL she started taking it for DH. I would not recommend cold turkey for you either---it'll very uncomforable.