Meds but no epidural?
Hi ladies I'm 20 weeks Monday with my first. I decided that I don't want an epidural due to all the horror stories I've heard and the fact that it looks scary! But do the other meds they can give you take the pain away some? I heard they just "take the edge off" I really don't want an epidural unless I 100% need it!
When I did my l&d tour the nurse explained the meds they can use, honestly I am personally terrified of needles so I'm scared to get an epi but I have heard that your in so much pain your practically begging for it, but the other meds kinda make you feel high and your kinda out of it, I personally don't want my birthing experience to be a blur so I would rather be numb from the waste down and mentally aware of everything then be kinda high and still feel the pain lol, but don't worry too much about the epidural, chances of something bad happening to you are very slim
My dr said they can give you other pain Meds but they have to stop them before you actually deliver because then the baby will be sedated so I don't know if that means you'll feel the whole pain of birth or it the Meds will still be helPing even though you stopped taking them.
I think Ill try to talk to my midwives abouy it at my next appointment. Althrough I am seeing a midwife at a birth center I very much plan on having my baby at the hospital. We haven't talked much about it. Lets just hope I remember to bring it up. Lol I don't want to feel high but then again I don't want a gaint needle in my back either
With my first I got the meds after about 13 hours of labor, I want dilated enough for the epidural so I asked for meds. It made me feel drunk, but it didn't take away the pain, I still felt everything. I definitely got the epidural after 18 hours of labor, and didn't even feel the needle. It actually helped my labor progress as well. Do what you're comfortable with!
The meds not only affect you, but baby too, that's why they stop them because baby will be sedated like was mentioned before.  The epidural effects mostly just you.  I would consider doing it with neither though, a natural delivery isn't as bad as people seem to think.  
I've had 2 births with no pain meds. I will not have pain meds with this one either. However I don't bash moms who decide to go for the pain meds as we all tolerate pain differently. I would ask your OB what ur options are, research the medicines and the effects on babies, and make your decision thusly.
I want to go full natural unless dr tells me my life depends on it or something. I heard the can give you the oxygen mask which helps a lot with concentration and all that. I might give that a try. But definately try going natural if you can. Some meds will get you stuck in bed and walking around will be your best options if your on labour for hours. I dont think theres any 'good' meds out there really. Women are meat to give birth and theyve done so since the beginning of time. But they certainly improved with meds to make it easier on the mother but not without some consequences. Talking to ur dr and getting all your options is the best way to see which maybe better for you. And getting a second opinion always helps a lot. Ill be asking my obgyn very soon so i can start looking too as ive heard horrible stories about the epi too. My mom caught the epi with me and now 22yrs later her back is a mess! Her dr says its one of the many things that can follow epi years and years after and i want to try and avoid it at all if i can :) good luck momma! Your best friend now will be information. Abd tge more youve got the better of a decision you can make when the time comes. Just remember theres no right or wrong answers. Just go with your gut feeling!
im the same was on my 1st and on this one. I had the needle in the leg pethein or how ever its spelt it was fab loved it and so want it again x
I will never get a epidural again.not even gonna go into it. It didn't hurt bad though. I ended up having them take it away. I also had the meds. They make you feel silly that's for sure but I was still grasping during the contractions. When you're in labor you will know how you want things done :)
The epidural put my baby in major distress and I had to get an emergency c section
Our hospital uses stuff called nubane or something but it has effects on the baby and it may cause you to have shortness of breathe which isn't good for my asthma
I had some kind of medication In my IV, I think the name was Stadol? It started with an "S"... No Epidural, and It honestly didn't do diddly squat for me. I might as well shouldn't of even asked for It! I felt "loopy" but I was able to walk around, with help from the nurses, and I was hyperventilating and stuttering here and there, (Not sure If It was a side effect of the drug) but I felt the exact same as without the medication, pain wise.
I just used Gas and Air last time and intend to this time. I was high as a kite, but it fades very quickly - in a matter of seconds actually. I could feel the pain but didn't really mind. Afterwards you're very alert to what's going on and it has no effects on baby x
I recently had my baby & my plans were no epidural I wanna do this natrual. Well I, went over due so they induced my labor. I was given something to make my contractions start so i can dialiate and thin more but since it was takin a bit longer they rised up the induction meds tto get stronger after 15 hours of natrually no med pain I couldnt take it no more it was horrible towards the end that I cried for an epidural. After getting it changed completely I didn't feel anything they even have a tube which u cant feel down there when u pee because u can't feel it. after getting it maybe 5 to to 7 hours thats when I went into labor and started feeling pressure to push with I felt like the epidural was coming down buti loved it gettin to feel the pain of pushing him out was beautiful having my husband there. But honesty the epidural didn't hurt to be inserted in of course they dont leave the big needle there they put a lil tube for the epic to go through. I'm guessing my doctors did a good job . But I'm hoping on my second child I go to labor on my own and be able to go natrual :)
I'm hoping I can be strong and not get a epidural. I guess ill just have to wait and see how I'm feeling when the time comes! Thanks for all your responses ladies :)