Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Transferring Diseases to newborns

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Transferring Diseases to newborns

I have Hypothyroidism, if some of you don't know, is where my Thyroid doesn't keep my body in check with itself and caused me to gain weight and be fatigued a lot (there is a few more symptoms, but I don't want to go into a lot of detail). My grandmother (on my mom's side) has it, and my mom and one of aunt's has it too (my mom told me a few other people in our family, like her cousins and her aunts have it, but so far none of the males have it). I am the only daughter of my mom's who has this disease, and I was wondering if anyone knew the chance of it being passed down to my daughter. My fiance (the baby's dad) does not have it. I asked my doctor, but she said they can't really tell until the baby is born and they run blood tests on her. I know if both parents are a carrier, then the chances are 1 in 4 of a child getting it. But I can not find anything on if one parent has it and the other is not a carrier nor do they have it. My mom does have it, and my dad is not a carrier nor does he have it, and they had 3 kids, and I have it. But I'm not sure if that is the best example. Even if it's a link to website, it would set my mind at ease.
I have hypothyroidism as well. My great grandma had it my grandma has it my mom has it and so do I. If I have a daughter i'm expecting her to have it as well because There are two forms one is indeed hereditary. it is also more common among females why I dont know. If your on a synthroid like med just make sure your doc monitors your tsh. And usually they will only check if you've had it since you were a baby. my family didnt catch on til after I was born they diagnosed my mom. So,i never got checked as a baby i'm requesting they check my baby. With your history it seems 50/50 i'm gonna go with you prolly wont pass it since your siblings dont have it to. good luck make sure your dr checks as soon as baby is born
Thank you so much this has helped a lot. I didn't know I had it until 2010. I changed doctors and since none of my previous doctors called for blood work she made me get everything checked. I've been on my levathyrexione (I spelled it wrong, but same as a synthroid tablet). I just had my levels checked last week and they were all normal. I was just curious as to if she would get it. I can never find any good statistics, thank you for answering my question :)
Des92 my hospital has put me off.... Comment
15 mins ago
krichar commented on photo
47 mins ago
Belle313 commented on photo
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy