Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Vaginal discharge in newborn girls

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Vaginal discharge in newborn girls

If you have a daughter or had a daughter in the past what type of vaginal discharge is normal.  At the hospital she had discharge that looked like ovulation discharge and the nurse told me it was normal, now the discharge has streaks of red in it(assuming blood).  Is this normal?  Her first pediatrice appt is not until friday, but if i have to take her to the ER i will, i guess i will put a call out to the answering service soon after i google some info on this.
Yes, it is normal. But it definitely won't hurt to ask your doc about it, that's what they are there for. :) If it doesn't stop soon then I would be worried.
baby girls have been known to have not only a "period" like discharge but also "milk" coming from their nipples. It's due to the hormones YOU have and had when she was born and isn't a problem at all.
I have three girls, and yes, this is normal.  The blood is as Martikadragoon explained...from your hormones from pregnancy.  My 3rd baby had this happen a week or so after birth.
Yes it's normal. It's because of all the hormones you shared with her.
ty ladies
I'm not so sure about the blood part, but little baby girls have all the same parts you n I have, and can have a discharge.
Mostly you'll see that happen within the first weeks of life because of the hormones that you were sharing with her while she was in the womb, are still present.
There's even been reports of female babies lactating.

I would deff bring up the blood part with your doc. I personally have never heard of vaginal bleeding in infants, but if the other girls said they have and it's fine, it may just be.
I would still atleast bring it up to the ped's attention.
I just had my first daughter 6 weeks ago and I havent noticed this.........yet. Its good to know:) I am clueless about girls, lol:)
blueeyedtabbycat~ If it were gonna happen to your daughter you'd have noticed it already, lol. It usually happens within the first weeks of life.
WOW! I always wondered about this when my little niece was born.
Now I know..:good post ladies. IT was pretty frightening when my sister and i noticed it.
The nurse gave her a cotton ball to help....Born into the world discharging...Man what it takes to be a woman!
melimeli BRING BACK THE NEWSFEED! Comment
10 mins ago
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
stacey10 commented on stacey10's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy