WBC & ESR during pregnancy
HI : My wife is near to 11 weeks of pregnant , we did some routine blood test and found her WBC total count is 10700 & ESR is unusual high 65 mm. And near to 2 kg of weight loss.

Doctor told that nothing to worry about , but this is the first pregnancy of her so we are little bit worried. So can anybody please explain whether this is normal or not. Till noe she doesn't have any other complications.

Thanks & Regards
Saud ,...
I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer except to talk to your doctor about your concerns.
Hi, maybe I can help a little bit, I have worked in laboratories for years, and I know what those tests are for.  The WBC is her white blood cell count.  If the white blood cell count is elevated, that usually means there is soem sort of infection or bacteria somewhere.  However the WBC count you quoted was not very high, only slightly elevated.  Some people just normally run a little bit high, or maybe she might have a small cold or something, but I wouldn't worry about it at all.  The ESR test is called an erythrocyte sedimentation rate.  Basically what this test is for is to indicate inflammation or swelling.  They usually use this test for people with arthritis, and it's not an uncommon test either.  They might have run it because her white cell count (the wbc's) were slightly elevated, and wanted to see if there was inflammation anywhere.  Average people's sed rate usually falls around the 20 min. mark, but as I had said before, that's not very elevated.  I would most defiantely not worry about this at all.  I hope I have been able to help you even a little bit.  Good luck!

Tara
Tara, wonderful information!
Thanks!!!  It just tickles me with joy when i can help someone!!!