Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
When is the first ultrasound typically?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

When is the first ultrasound typically?

I'm scheduled for my 1st ob visit the 24th...do they typically do an ultra sound on your first visit? I would be around 8 weeks... Just curious how this process works... As this is my first :)
Thank you!
  • Ultrasound (10 replies):
    When well i have another ultrasound thee last onee i had...[more]
  • Wondering about u/s (14 replies):
    Ive been reading alot of posts about when and how many u...[more]
  • Ultrasounds (7 replies):
    With a normal (not high risk) pregnancy do u usually get...[more]
  • pregnant (3 replies):
    I will six almost seven weeks when i go to my first dr a...[more]
  • scans (2 replies):
    does anyone know how much it is for a 3D/4D scan in engl...[more]
Here in the states where i live i got mine at 12 wks, Bc earlier then that there is a slight chance of the vanishing twin thing, so they dont do the ultrasound to early..... just in case.  And then they do one around 20 wks to do all the measurments and find out the gender of the baby!
Mines the same as Julianovak. Unless you have bleeding before your average 12 week scan you wont get a scan before hand...
And then my next is at 20 weeks. Depeneding on you and the baby will depend on further ones. I have another at 32 weeks, because of my previous with Anorexia.

I am in the UK

x
With my first pregnancy I had one at 7 weeks and with this one I had my first at 15. It would have been around 12 weeks but I was in the process of moving back to the states.
It depends on your OB office.  Most around where I live only do one ultrasound around 20 weeks unless you are having problems.  There are a few around where I live that do one every trimester.  I personally had a few because I had some spotting in the beginning and they found a cyst on my ovary but if it weren't for that I would not have had one until about 20 weeks.  You can call your OB office and just ask.  Congratulations and a happy and healthy 9 months.
Depends on your insurance and your doctor. I only get one sonogram so I get it around the 20-week mark. Unless complications come up I only get that one sono. Because of previous miscarriages I have gotten early scans but if you don't have any risks or complications you most likely will only get one, maybe two sonograms.
MOST doctors do NOT perform the first ultrasound at the first appt.  In my experience (6 fullterm pregnancies) they will have you come in for the first appt which typically involves filling out paperwork, papsmear, getting your due date based on your LMP, going over what you can expect from your appts etc.  At the first appt you will most likely schedule another appt which can include an ultrasound.  Like Joy said, it depends on your doctor and your insurance but typically a first ultrasound will be done anywhere between 8-12 weeks depending on your doctors preferences and whether or not there are any factors that put you at higher risk for complications/miscarriage/ectopic/etc.
My ob does a "dating" ultrasound at your 8 week appointment. It's covered by insurance because it's how they get an accurate gest age. Like the above ladies said it really seems to depend on your ob.
KeeLolo, and KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on photo
1 hr ago
KeeLolo commented on photo
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy