Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Zoloft while pregnant?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Zoloft while pregnant?

I am 16 weeks pregnant with my second child. While I was pregnant with my daughter, I had horrible depression. I was put on suicide watch while in the hospital delivering, because I had written suicide notes and was goingto kill myself after my daughter was born. I was placed on zoloft immediately, and I have remained on a high dosage for the last year. I just went to my first doctors appointment, the midwife told me that I needed to stop the medicine cold turkey. The doctor disagreed when I told him why I was placed on it. My problem is that I have heard about babies being born with birth defects, and I don't want my child hurt, but I also know that it does the baby no good if I kill myself or otherwise harm myself. I also need to consider the care of my one year old daughter. I am with get all day while my husband is at work. Any advice?
Tags: Zoloft, Pregnancy, Depression, Conflicting opinions
listen to your doctor. i see a mental health doctor and was put on zoloft while trying to get pregnant bc it was one of the safer meds to take while pregnant and DO NOT quit taking it cold turkey. my dr has always told me to ween myself off the meds b4 starting a new one, i went thru 3 different meds before finding one that worked for my anxiety issues, bc for anxiety they use anti-depressants. if you are not sure of taking zoloft, see if he can ween you off of it and put you on another medicine safe to take while pregnant.
I had one doctor refuse to refill my prescription once, and spent about a week trying to get the mess taken care off. So for about 5 days, I went without any meds at all. I don't think I had ever been so messed up in my life before. That's why I was so worried about being told to quit cold turkey.
I'd say definitely don't quit cold turkey. I was on Zoloft for over 6 months when I found out I was pregnant & before I even had my first Dr appt I stopped taking it...it was horrible! Headaches so bad I could barely see. But the Dr did say if things got worse with my anxiety/depression there were other alternatives that I could take while pregnant. So maybe just discuss it with your Dr & find an option that will work best for u with the least risk of harm to your baby.
KeeLolo, Hollus, and KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
agrell sooo ladies things have bee... Comment
agrell uploaded new photos
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy