Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
what toothpaste to use?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

what toothpaste to use?

Hi ladies,  just wondering does anyone know of a toothpaste that is totally safe to use during pregnancy?  All the toothpastes I can find have peppermint flavouring which comes from essential oil... And as we know peppermint e oil can stimulate uterus and possibly cause m/c so advised to avoid, especially in 1st trimester.  So is there a mint free toothpaste that does not contain any other essential oils such as myrrh (another stimulant)?  Please help as I am using a pea sized blob of freshmint toothpaste at the minute and worry about what even that amount could do!  
colgate makes a kind that is orange that i use, but honestly the small amoutn of peppermint thats in the toothpaste is not going to hurt anything at all, im sure almost all us ladies on here brush our teeth on a regular basis with peppermint and some go over there delivery dates!
You would have to swallow a large amount of peppermint essential oil for it to actually affect your uterus.  So, any toothpaste is fine :)  Check with your doctor if you are worried.
i cannot find absolutely anything that supports the theory that mint flavored toothpaste or mouthwash can cause miscarraiges....the only things i have found says not to take large doses of STRAIGHT MENTHOL.....i can't find absolutely anything that says mint in and of itself, in any form, except STRAIGHT, can cause a miscarriage.....the same goes with myrrh...

i've been using the same exact toothpaste for idk how long, and it is the same that my friend uses(and since she is a very high risk preg, i'm sure she'd have mentioned this by now, considering how anal she is about everything)....

shadow is right, colgate has been coming out with "hip" flavors, such as orange, and i wanna say i've even seen some kind of strawberry.....they aren't changing the content for pregnant women, they're changing it because some people have such sensitive teeth, mint is actually painful, and oftentimes, tastes disgusting.....
Many thanks for replies everyone! The orange one sounds good.. I will look into that thanks.   I know there's nothing to say that toothpaste can cause m/c but there is evidence that peppermint essential oil and myrhh appiled to skin can stimulate the uterus/ cause cramping or contractions... and mint toothpaste contains peppermint essential oil and is absorbed through gums.  So as I have had a m/c, I want to be extra cautious this time, especially in these early days,  and avoid anything that may be harmful.  I know it sounds so extreme and it's probably totally safe for all but we want this baby so so much and I am terrified of doing something wrong..  Anything I see that has negative reports I have to avoid, even though there are tonnes of pregnant women doing grand and having babies every day while using all these products but I am too scared to take any potential risks at all. I know it must seem very neurotic but I cannot describe what I went through when I lost our first baby.  I think I won't stress as much about everything when we have the 12 week scan and see all ok...
i dont want to harsh on you or anything but i think something you might be missing. stress!!! you are making me feel stressed just from reading your posts. i think a big thing is to not stress yourself out. remember baby will feel all that tension and imagine how tense your uterus is all tightened up like that. just go with the flow and try not to over think things. i have two big books for week to week pregnancy, and i listened to them and followed their instructions and i talked to my doctor and guess what. all the things the books talk about, all the fears and worries...aren't as big of a problem as the books made out. but he was sure to remind me to not worry about anything. take things one step at a time . make sure to make some YOU time in your day. do something special just for you, you deserve it!
i would say if you see 10 reports of peppermint toothpaste being an issue with miscarriage then think about avoiding it. but i dont think the toothpaste is a huge problem.  i understand your want to avoid things, i do. i'm just saying...avoid it but try not to be too worried about.  
and if you want you can brush your teeth with baking soda. just get your brush wet and dab it into a dish of soda, brush and rinse. works just as good as tooth paste. and yes my dentist has suggested it. my grandfather and father use to do that, personally its not my thing but apparently its good too.  : )
try to relax and have fun!
Many thanks louieforlaughs, I spoke with a health expert and they advised me to just use salt or baking soda (as you said ..they say it does same job as toothpaste) and as only for 7 months it's the safest chemical free option.  So I am going to try that out...  But thanks everyone for your time in replying to me.  I am trying hard to relax and I think I might stop researching everything I consume or use now, as yes it definately causes anxiety..  Thanks again..you all really help me to put things into perspective! x
no problem!
You know...I had a miscarriage too and I would certainly hate for it to happen again.  However, most of the times there isn't anything that you can do to avoid a miscarriage, usually it happens due to an abnormality during conception or the fetus, not something that you have done or consumed.
Think about all those crackheads and heroin addicts that go on and deliver at 9 months
(I'm not saying that they have healthy babies all of the time but oftentimes they make it through birth), Toothpaste is probably the last thing you should worry about.
My best friend is an ER Doctor and she says that she has a few women EVERY DAY come in because they are having a miscarriage, she assured me that it is VERY common and there's nothing you have done or can do to prevent one unless you are doing something that is extreme to cause you to have a miscarriage like perhaps running a marathon or starving yourself or drinking 5 cups a day of coffee.
Try to relax, I know its a hard thing but you didn't do anything to cause it the last time, your body decides the fate of your pregnancy.
Mrs_teddy_bear, and hansen20 commented on veronica0808's status
Mrs_teddy_bear Extra day off Tuesday due t... Comment
Des_a_rae commented on pb95's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy