Pregnancy: April 2012 Babies Community
Castor Oil? does it really work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2012.

Castor Oil? does it really work?

My sister took a shot glass and a half of castor oil 2days before she had my niece. She claims it worked but she was also already 40wks so I'm not sure if I should try it or not. I'm 37wks 6days and dilated 1cm on Monday but I'm dying of the pressure my baby girl is putting on my Cervix. So anyway, has anyone heard good things with Castor oil???
I took castor oil with my son at 37 weeks and I went into labor but I have drank that nasty stuff twice with this pregnancy and it has done nothing..I think it only works if your baby is ready to come..I wouldn't try it unless you speak with your doc first
Thanks for the truth....so many people I know say it works and to just drink it. My doc gave me the OK so I might try it but I can't keep gross stuff in my stomach. :-/
I drank some but my munchkin was ready. I used it to steady my contractions. I think for it to work you need to be some what ready.
I took it at 5.30pm and its now 2.00am and still nothing I am 38 weeks  I don't think it works no pain no bath room problems and I had 4 spoons
Castor oil can work but the amount you take to get affects depends on your body and your baby. For instance, I took 2 oz of castor oil and it started the contractions but that's it no dilation and a little effacement and the contractions were horrible and lasted for 2 days straight  . So I waited another week and a half and like a dummy I took 4 oz it started the contractions again but this time I started to dilate. so the amount differs from person to person it is a good way to start labor but that's just it to start labor your body and baby has to be ready to finish labor so it can start labor and then you are in pain for days and go right back to where you started best way to go is to walk and I mean walk like at least 2 miles then do the castor oil when I did the castor oil I was not walking or anything but once the castor gave me that boost and I started walking things started to process
Hi ladies! :)
in 36 weeks iv had a really bad pregnancy with alot of complications, Im in absolute agony cannot walk due too my little girl pushing down on my pelvis so im in bed all the time. My friends recommended castor oil.. As ye can guess i took it last night at half 10 an hour later i thew my guts up and then got really bad contractions all night. They stopped and then just there i ACTUALLY Sh** myself didn't make it too the toilet on time!!! :/ Does this mean it is working? Ps i was only 2cm dilated three weeks ago. Please help me out. No harsh comments thanks xx