help!! sonogram
i cant understand why my doc wont do a sonogram till im 5 1/2m along... i havent even had one im 14w2d and i just wanna see that every things okay! they have done the other thing where they listen to the heart beat.. but this is my first and im just worried like im sure every first time mommy is.. can anyone tell me why they wont do it sooner?  or is my doc just an odd one...
I'm not sure why your dr wont do it. I had one done at 6w4d.  I would ask.
The only reason I had one done before 20wks was to check my due date and to make sure there was only one in there I was on clomid when I conceived.
They dont like to do it before you are at a certin point in the pregnancy they say it can be harmful to the baby
Sonograms are not harmful for the baby there is no radiation.  In Canada they only do 3-4 ultrasounds throughout the pregnancy, one for dating if ur unsure, one at 11-13 for a Nuchal translucency and one at 18-20 weeks for a detailed scan they check everything. 18-20 wks is the best time to have one as like I said they can see everything.  I don't know how it is in the state's but in Canada if u ask for one especially if u have not had one before they will order one.  Maybe just tell the doc ur anxious and would like one for peace of mind.
I have asked for one.. every time she tells me the same thing not till 5 1/2 .. I think I need a new doc she is always out of the office hard to get in with her .. she guessed my due date by measuring my uterus.. she has moved my due date twice now.. my husband thinks I'm overreacting about all this and it is our first baby aside from all that though I can't believe she won't give me a sonogram...
Wow my phone glitched didn't mean to post so many times.. an thanks for all the feedback just so nervous!!
U need a doctor who is available for u and who will work for u.  I agree it might be time to find a new doctor.  Its ur first child and u need to feel confidence in ur doctor, if u don't u will spend the rest of ur pregnancy worrying and u don't need the stress.  Good luck hun
Your insurance could be the issue, some companies will only pay for the one around 20 weeks, unless one is needed sooner for dating purposes or emergency issues.
It's sounds like u need to change doctors!!!! U really want to be comfortable with the person who's responsable for bringing ur baby into this world !!!! Use ur gut instincts if she makes u feel some type of way get a new doc!!!! I had my first u/s at 8 wks and I'm due for one on Fri ill be 12 wks the next will be 20 wks or so. I wish u the best Hun !!
thanks to every one who replied i will be looking for a new doc im on medicaid i live in kc-mo can any one recommend a doc?
I vote new doc. Im just now 12w1d and i have had 2 sonograms and a full blood workup - and i'm healthy w/no meds or suspected issues.
you may want to check with medicaid, as it could be the only allow a certain number of ultra sounds, unless medically necessary. If the lack of ultra sound is the only reason why you are looking for a new doctor then check on this before switching to someone else. You could find that no matter what doctor you see you are only going to able to get to the one around 20 weeks. I do not know what the guidelines are with medicaid, but do know that many insurance companies will limit ultra sounds, unless there is a valid medical reason for order more.