Pregnancy: July 2009 Babies Community
Babies daily routines.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2009.

Babies daily routines.

Hi girls, I am  a first time mom and at times it feels like I have no clue about what I am doing with my baby. Don't know if is o.k what we are doing so far or should I be teaching him by now a different routine. Thi sis what we do:

7-8 am- feeding then back to sleep
9-10 he wakes up and we play tummy time
11 feeding- back to sleep
sometimes he sleeps for 1-2 hours but other times only for  half an hour or 45 minutes then again feeding, and back to sleep, feeding, back to sleep and some tummy time in the afternoon.
By 8 pm at night he sleeps until 12 or 1 am, then sleep until 3-4 am.
So I don't know if this is o.k or shoul di change wat we are doing.
Do you guys know of any book about daily routines that might help me.
It sounds like you have more of a routine than i do w my four month old,  LoL!  And he is my 4th!
I'd say you are doing quite well.  How old is your baby??  His sleeping sounds great!!

Jenkaye lol you confused the c r a p out of me, I think you mean 4 week old, not month.

etenadad- Sounds pretty similar to what we do with our LO and he is almost 8wks. You're doing great mama!
sounds like you are doing just fine.  my 4 week old has her days and nights reversed so trying to start a routine is almost nearly impossible.  Not having consistency is driving me nuts!  Great job!!  Alot of people say it's difficult to start any routines until baby is 3-4 months old.  This is when they start to stay awake longer and feed at predictable times.  Don't worry if your little one gets off track.  He is still really young.
Jack is calling the shots around here! Ha. I try to get on some routine, but it really depends on whether he's having it or not. :) My consistent thing is the night routine of bath, pjs, bottle, rocking then crib. Sometimes he stays in there for hours, other times it's only minutes. I do insist night time is PJ's and low lighting (hoping he'll put the calmness, warm pjs and low light with sleeping time and daylight and rompers for day).
I play with him whenever he's up  during the day or whatnot but I really just go by his mood - if he seems to want to wiggle around on his playmat and have some "me time" then I'll give him some space. If he's smiling back at me when I make funny faces, I'll keep doing that and so on!
Oops, you're right!  4 *week* old, lol
Sounds like you are doing great!  I have my 2 month old on a similar schedule and I started it at about 3 or 4 weeks.  I got my sample schedule from the book "On Becoming Baby Wise".  I completely agree with the diaper change, feed, waketime, nap process that the book uses to set a baby's schedule!  The only part I don't agree with is that it never says it endorses the "Cry It Out" method for sleeping, but it says that a baby should always be put down for naps and bedtime awake without using any props (rocking, cuddling, etc.).  I don't buy into the CIO method and when I lay my LO down awake he cries and will for hours so I don't do that part, but it is only one small 5 page chapter of the book - the rest is VERY helpful.  The whole process doesn't work for everyone and basically everyone I know that has used it has just picked and choosed the things that work for them and their family from the book.  But it got my LO on a schedule in NO time and now he knows what to expect after every activity.  But you are basically doing what the book says anyway, but if you would like some reading to ponder along with sample schedules for the first year of life definitely get the book.  Another good thing about it is that it constantly reminds you that flexibility is key so it doesn't make you feel the pressure to stick to some strict or rigid routine or rules.  Its working for us so far, so I hope maybe this will help others!
Thanks a lot girls, feel better to hear your words of encouragment, kin dof freak out at time. Being a first time mom is kind of overwhelming. Don't know what I would do without you girls.
Mine is 4 weeks old and I have no idea what I'm doing still.  He feeds when he wants to which is most of his awake time.  He doesn't want to nap much during the day and he's cranky because of it most of the day, he doesn't want to lay around he doesn't want to play he wants me to carry him all day.  Then at night he's crying unless he's nursing and then its bedtime which I change him/bathe him nurse him, bundle him and then make him sleep.  He goes usually from 10:30-2am BUT then at 2 am he wakes up hungry, I nurse him for 5 minutes he falls asleep and then I try to put him on his crib and he wakes up again wanting to nurse again.  Sometimes I fall asleep nursing and then well its a whole mess.
I don't know if I still need to undle him so he sleeps during the day or what but I'm exhausted!!!!
If he's only nursing for 5 min, try waking him up by burping him, changing sides, changing his diaper, or undressing him.  I know it's hard; mine falls asleep nursing, too, but i try to get him to eat as much as possible so he will sleep as long as possible. 8 ) Also, playing music softly at bedtime seems to help.