Pregnancy: July 2012 Babies Community
fussy baby :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2012.

fussy baby :(

I'm a ftm and this whole new mommy thing is really getting to me :( I haven't felt well since I've had her and all day today felt sick but now I'm scared my baby is getting sick because she has been crying a lot today. I know newborns are suppose to cry but I just don't know :( it seems like she wants to eat A LOT which I guess isn't a sign of her getting sick... but the doctor told me she shouldn't be eating 4 oz at her age but she will scream bloody mary until she gets it. I ttry to feed her just 2 oz every 2 hours but she wants more most of the time not all the time but she will eat 2 more oz and will cry and cry until she gets full then goes to sleep and wake up and do it again. I've tried other things to calm her down and nothing works except for giving her what she wants. I'm scared I'm over feeding her since she has gained 5 oz in a week. :( and I'm scared she might be getting sick since she's been so fussy today but I don't know. Her underarm temp is 98.3 which seems fine. Am I just worrying myself to death for nothing?
She is growing hun! They need more!!! Feed her what she wants! Every baby is diff..ur doc is going off experience, not just ur specific baby!  The best advice I ever got was, ur the mom n know ur baby like no one else!! follow her signals..if she's telling u she wants more, than give her more!  It takes time n patience to decode all the signals, but u will figure it out together.!! Best wishes hun.
I agree! If she wants it give it to her. I was freaked.out too when my baby wanted 3-4oz but she's a growing baby so she gets it. Your baby could be going thru a growth spurt....
This may sound terrible but my mom stuck a pacifier in my babys mouth at 5 days old. If she is throwing up after eating?? it may be that she needs to suck on something but not necessarily be hungry... Just a thought. Didnt know if you had tried it. Thats my little girls thing tho is that she just wants to suck but isnt hungry and loves to be wrapped up in her blankets.. Even if I think she is to warm she still wants a blanket!! I know they say not to give them a pacifier for the first month now to avoid nipple confusion but as my pediatrician says a baby knows where the food comes from!!! I know you will get lots of different ideas on what will work for someones baby but like kfrasher said every baby is different and I definitely agree that we know our babies the best.. Not everyone else with their experiences (like my MIL telling me my baby was hungry when I had just fed her... just so she could watch me feed her... awkward!!) But you will get it figured out. Also if you are breastfeeding then your body will provide the correct antibodies to your baby that it needs to ward of sicknesses. So you may get sick but your baby might not.
I would feed her what she wants too. My daughter nurses but I've given her formula a couple times and both times she drank 3-4ozs. It could be a growth spurt, they are extra fussy during them.
It's nice you get one day of fussiness- mine has been horrible. She sleeps like an angel at night but during the day she fusses a lot and wants me to hold her all day. It's frustrating and very demanding.
Maybe baby1forme is right...she might just want to suck as well. I wouldn't worry about nipple confusion. I gave my baby a pacifier the day she came out and I nurse and there's no confusion there.
I agree with the paci!!! All four of my babies have taken one!! Def a handy little thing! :-)
Yea I try the paci but she spits it out lol. I try everything but she always ends up happy with the bottle. Hopefully its just a growth spurt. If not, shes just a big eater. I love my lil sweet pea so much either way :) we are learning as we go.
My baby boy is 2 weeks old and he has been eatting 3-4 oz every 3 hours since he was 4 days old. Sometimes he'll sleep more than 3 hours though, but always eats when he wakes up. They tell you how much they want. I was feeding him 2 oz every 2 hours and his dr told me to offer him more and try to get his feedings more spaced out. Some babies just grow faster and need more food than others.
My baby has been eating 4oz since she was a week old. Dr was surprised but said if that's she wants let her have it. She has never spit it up either.