Pregnancy: Oct 2010 Babies Community
Lightheaded & Fainty??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2010.

Lightheaded & Fainty??

I'm about 36 weeks pregnant and I live in Florida where it is still very HOT. For the past 2 days at work the AC hasnt worked which has made my little office unbearable. Well earlier today I started feeling sick but worked the rest of my shift and then went to my scheduled doctors appt. Once there after about 20 minutes I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy as if I was going to faint. I was told to lay on my left side and they put a fan to circulate air for me which made me feel better.

My question is could it be working without AC in this heat (90+ degrees) what made me feel like fainting?
Did your doctor say anything about it? I'm in Arizona so other than not really having humidity I can totally relate to the heat. If you are working in the heat I wouldn't be shocked that it would make you light headed and dizzy. If I'm outside for too long during the day I start feeling horribly sick. I would ask your doctor what they think and maybe even consider taking off a couple days until your work get the a/c fixed!
When your pregnant due to all the changes in your body your more likely to feel dizzy and faint.  I believe part of it has to do with blood flow.  I've had issues all pregnancy.  Heat is defiantly a huge thing to help make you feel faint because it restricts blood flow.  If you have a chance when it's really hot try putting some ice cubes on the insides of your wrists right where the veins are.  That can help keep your body a little cooler and decrease your chance of fainting.  
Well there was a day when I literally thought I would faint. I was just sitting there eating when I felt the room spin. I started to feel hot to my head and felt like vomiting. It wasn't too hot that day. I called my doctor and they said just to drink a lot of water. I still feel like that sometimes. As a matter of fact, I have been feeling like that since this past weekend. It's not too hot (I'm in California) so I don't know if that could be heat related. Maybe you should talk to your employer and tell them how you've felt and you're thinking it's because of the a/c not working. Ask them for some days off until they fix the problem.
I agree that you should probably stay where it's cooler and maybe take a couple days off of work. It sounds to me like your body is telling you it's too hot and too hot for your baby. Definitely drink lots of water and maybe gatorade or something too.
Thanks everyone- No I dont work outside. I work inside and the AC something happened with the wiring where it wasn't connecting and reading to the new computer. (Big renovations for a re grand opening) But it was hotter in my office than outside.

As far as my employer I have a one ***** manager who will most likely say something like "if we accomodate for you then later on we'll have to for someone else"  This is something she has said to me a few times during my pregnancy. Well I decided to take the day off anyways so I called in today and I actually feel GOOD today compared to the past few days.
Good for you! I hate managers that act like pregnancy is a hassle on them. If you aren't feeling good they should be concerned about your health not that someone else might want the same treatment. If my manager said that to me I'd tell him/her to screw herself that I was pregnant and since its a medical condition they are required to accommodate for me. Not sure if that is true but I'd still say it... and then probably get fired.
I had a similar thing happen to me and my doctor told me I might be low on potassium and to eat some bananas as well as drink plenty of water. I did this and it went away. Also, when I was pregnant with my second I had pre-eclampsia, but didn't know it at the time and I had a few times where I was light headed and dizzy. Did they check your bp? Just curious!
Glad to hear you took time off and that your feeling better!!!!! Maybe it was just the heat!