Prostate Cancer Community
Prostate PIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Prostate PIN

My husband has suffered for almost a year with continuous prostate pain.  He went through a bladder neck incision (which we have since been told he should not have had!).  No PSA tests have been done and as he is only 44, white and no history of prostate cancer in the family, risk factors were thought to be low.  Following a recent biopsy he has been told that evidence of PIN has been found.  He has now opted to undergo a second biopsy (which was very painful), inflamation (inflammation) apparently sitting on his seminal sacs.  How worried should he be about the possibility of prostate cancer being detected and are there any treatments for PIN?

Comments gratefully received
I was too diagnosed high grade pin with psa level 8. Dr gave me zinc, vitamin d and selenium and a lot of soya foods, psa level dropped 5.2. Awaiting for another biopsy after six months.

Discuss with your doctor about risk of progression and treatment options for PIN. If it is a high grade PIN, this increases likelihood of prostate cancer and hence some preventive treatment can be considered. There is some experience with using Toremifene for men with a high grade PIN, inquire about the effects and availability of this drug with your doctor.

Kbl is taking a lot of soy, toremifene was designed to work in a similar way as soy hence, some men would be advised such lifestyle changes.  
Many thanks for your comments which were gratefully received.  We have now had the results of the 2nd 12 core biopsy, and pleased to say nothing suspicious was found - relief all round.  The first biopsy was also 12 cores and PIN found in only one core.  The first and only PSA test at that point was 0.6, so I'm assuming annual PSA tests would be sufficient at this point, is the risk of prostate cancer still raised or is it likely that PIN could be found in healthy prostates?

The original problem however still remains and after many months of trying to get urologists to even talk about CPPS, they are now starting to agree that this is a likely diagnosis, mainly because the lavator muscle was so tight on the last biopsy that the urologist was unable to get the anasetic needle through it!

He is also taking suppliments of selenium and green tea but may also add soy to the mix as a preventative measure.  Des anyone have any knowledge of sestemic enzyme therapy - from the research I've been doing I couldn't resist ordering Serrapeptase and hoping this will sort out achielles problems along with scar tissue  and help healing after the biopsies etc along with everything else - is it too good to be true?  

If no-one has tried it both my husband and myself will be giving it a go and will post comments with any results, in the meantime do some research regarding the benefits for any cancers, especially hormone related ones.

Serrapeptase is an anti-inflammatory agent. The most experience with this is to relieve pain associated with breast engorgement during lactation.

There are also trials for pain and swelling for dental and surgery of the face as well as trials involving clearance of mucus for chronic lung disease.

I found no specific trials for prostate and this agent.

Discuss any treatment you would consider with your doctor. If you are willing to try something new, explore ongoing trials for similar patients. These trials would have the most promising sort of treatment available.
On suppressing inflammation and doing some prevention (I have low grade PIN after TURP) there is some evidence for the Zyflamend compounds and several other. A good read might be Dr Katz's guide to prostate health.