Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Time taken to diagnose

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Time taken to diagnose

I entered our county hospital with a Foley catheter in and a urinary tract infection at the end of May.Because of the way the hospital operates,they do the same tests and exams over and over and your Doctors get switched on you.I've had 3 PSA tests,3 prostate exams,and 1 biopsy.On Sept. 19,I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer(10 on the Gleason scale).The cancer was present in all the samples biopsied.My question is-is 3 and a half months a long time to get such a diagnosis?
What were the results of your PSA tests prior to biopsy?
I live in Texas with my husband and it took them amost 2 years to diagnosis that he had prostate cancer. His PSA level was a 1.0. I am the one that found the bump that made him tell the Dr to do a rectal exam.