Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
painful ejaculation & blood in semen

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

painful ejaculation & blood in semen

I have been having some symptoms that just began Friday Dec 21.  The first symptom was a painful sensation around the base of my penis and in my scrotum (kind of hard to tell exactly-sorry) when I ejaculated.  The pain stopped after ejaculation.  Later that night, it was painful again, and the ejaculate contained some yellowish stuff and one speck of red.

The next day, the pain was the same, but the ejaculate was mixed with fresh blood.  

There has been no pain whatsoever with urination or defecation, and I have had no problem achieving or maintaining an erection.

My question is really this:  Can too much sexual activity cause these symptoms, and will rest and recuperation fix it?  I have a very strong libido, and feel driven to engage in sexual activity several times a day.  With or without a girlfriend, that does happen.  Most days I probably ejaculate at least once, usually 2-3 times, and some days as often as 5-6 times throughout the day.  Yes, I know, I too am surprised I haven't gone blind yet.  It seems to me that this routine for the last 15 or so years could possibly led my prostate to become swollen from overuse, or my vesicles to become raw or torn from overuse.  Does this hold any validity in your opinion?  Should I run to my nearest doctor?  It has been four days now since I have ejaculated, and I thought I would try today, and when I got close to ejaculation, I seemed to feel the same pain coming on, so I quit before ejaculation.  However, I checked the pre-ejaculate, of which there was a fair amount, and saw no trace of any color other than clear.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Frequent sexual activity is unlikely to be a cause of blood in the semen.

Urine microscopic cultures and a prostate exam should be performed.

Best,

Ashutosh K. Tewari, MD
I abstained from all sexual activity for two weeks, and now have had multiple times (3) in a day, a couple days a week, and have had absolutely no pain or blood when I ejaculate, and no discoloration of the ejaculate.  I have no pain or pressure when urinating or defecating, and my bladder usually tells me I need to empty it when it contains 9 or more ounces (which seems normal to me).  I am due for a regular checkup, and since I will turn 40, I will have another prostate exam.  I had one 2-3 years ago and my PSA levels were good and it apparently 'felt' okay to the doctor.  Though I must admit, the exam didn't feel exactly 'okay' with me, it was a relief to know that there were no obvious symptoms of prostate problems.

Since the blood and pain has gone away completely, what do you think about it now?  Also, thank you so much for this service and taking the time to answer our concerns.  Bless you and your family.  -Karl
A related discussion, hard orange substance in semen was started.