Prostate Cancer Community
prostate cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

prostate cancer

My partner was recently diagnosed with stage 3 prostate cancer,i have been searching on the computer about this disease.Although ive learned alot about it,1 question remains in my mind tiredlessly. Currently he is not being treated for reasons unknown,we fight alot this,only because i love him so much.

My question is CAN HE PASS ANY TYPE OF CANCER TO ME THROUGH SEX? we usually dont use any protection.
To say the least i am terrified,even if ive read you cant.

HELP!

Yuki1227
hi Yuki and sorry your going through this. I was treated for this myself with radiation and am doing fine. Stage 3 is not the the issue as means its as spread just a bit outside the prostate. Whats important is the gleason score, which defines the agressiveness of the cancer and the psa score. You should talk to his doctor about why they are not treating it. If the gleason score is low, some doctors prefer to "watch and wait" but i would consult another cancer doctor and the more information the better about treatments.
and NO he cannot pass the cancer to you as is DNA specific.
Hi Yuki,

So sorry to hear about your partner.  I hope if he has decided to receive treatment that it was successful and you are both doing well.  If not, there is no need to worry about you "catching" it from him.  Prostate cancer is not the same as a cold or STD.  Because cancer isn't a bacterial or viral infection, it does not spread between two people.  Your own body can develop cancer, but he will not give it to you.

If he hasn't received treatment, I would highly suggest looking into other oncologists as well as treatment options like HIFU.  HIFU treatment can be a solution for men who are searching for a minimally invasive treatment that offers quick recovery and a life that is potentially cancer free.  I'm currently researching treatments for a friend who has prostate cancer, and I've learned a lot about how HIFU works and why it can be the ideal treatment for certain men: http://www.****.com/what-is-hifu/what-is-sonablate-hifu.html.  Good luck and take care!