Radiology Community
CT Scan ~ Can you help me read it please?

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

When I left the ER I was given a CD with my scans, lab work and told to see my primary physican.... My appt is on 1/20... Can anyone please advise how to read my results from the scans please?

CT abdomen and pelvis without contrast Clinical history splenic mass Findings
: The liver is enlarged. It measures 27 cm in length the spleen is enlarged and measures 19.2 cm in length. It demonstrates several abnormal low attenuation areas, the largest in the anterior spleen measuring 4.8 cm. It also
demonstrates a lobulated contour. Contrast is seen within the kidneys from prior IV contrast administration. Patchy bibasal atelectasis is noted. Mass effect on the upper pole the left kidney by the spleen is demonstrated. Aorta shows no evidence of aneurysm. There is increased number of abnormal nodes in the abdomen at the root of mesentery in the periaortic and aortocaval regions no free fluid or free and perineal air is seen. Impression #1 hepatomegaly 2. Splenomegaly with abnormal low attenuation areas within the spleen and mass effect on the upper pole left kidney. 3. Abnormal mesenteric and retroperitoneal adenopathy with increased numbers of
small lymph nodes present.
I'm just responding because I noticed no one has responded yet.  I am not a doctor but a patient, so take what I say with a couple of grains of salt.

The first thing is to research the terminology (===> indicates my own general comment):

"Impression #1":         this is an analysis by the radiologist (it is not an impression in tissue etc)
hepatomegaly:         is the condition of having an enlarged liver. It is a nonspecific medical sign having many causes ====> this adds no additional information from what was said earlier in the report aka "the liver is enlarged"
splenomegaly:         condition of having an enlarged spleen ====> this is my guess and I verified it is correct
"is demonstrated"       I would assume that they mean is demonstrated by the scan  ===>  a fancy way of saying "is shown"?
Aorta:                        The aorta 1] is the largest artery in the body, originating from the left ventricle of the heart and extending down to the abdomen, where it branches off
Aneurysm:                 is a localized, blood-filled balloon-like bulge in the wall of a blood vessel.  ====> an aneurysm of the aorta is an aortic aneurysm, and they are indicating they see none (which is cool because they've ruled it out)
abdomen:             Organs of the abdominal cavity include the stomach, liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, small intestine, kidneys, and large intestine.
"aortocaval":        aortocaval compression syndrome is compression of the abdominal aorta and inferior vena cava     ====> I would think that aortocaval is referring to the abdominal aorta and the inferior vena cav, the former being the artery handling blood flow from the heart to the abdomen, the latter from the abdomen to the heart
"Mesentery":       The mesentery proper (i.e. the original definition) refers to the peritoneum responsible for connecting the jejunum and ileum (parts of the small intestine) to the back wall of the abdomen   ====> it seems the mesentary in combination with the aorta and inferior vena cava are a way to describe the location of the "abnormal nodes in the abdomen" since they intersect there (on the rear wall of the abdomen), and they may (I'm not a doctor) be referring to lymph nodes in that location (I don't know if there are any other kinds of "nodes" that they could be referring to)
"adenopathy":          large or swollen lymph nodes
"upper pole kidney":         There are two poles or lobes of kidney ====> they are referring to the upper area of kidney (the left kidney is the kidney on "your" left - I think)
"attenuation":       ====>  this is a CT scan term relating to the density of the tissue (from what I looked up on google); higher attenuation means higher radiodensity (higher HUs); water is 0 HUs, air is -1000 HUs, and bone is 400 HUs (or maybe 2000 HUs?);  low attenuation I don't know what that would be indicative of or what might be the cause (high attenuation can be indicative of cancer mass, probably because the mass is thick and dense);

I don't have time to finish all the terms but I hope I helped.  To be honest, the exercise enlightened my own knowledge.  And I'm just a software engineer with some undergraduate studies in physics and chemistry.  And yes, I am untrusty of doctors these days.  It is too late for a pursuit in medicine for me, but it doesn't mean I can't educate myself.  (ha ha)

My own problem, and why I'm here, is the problem of getting doctors to diagnose my condition of embalmed groin.  There is evidence of doppler ultrasound detecting abnormal blood flow in the umbilical cord of a baby, or even the blood flow in a fetus's brain, during pregnancy.  Yet radiologists who (a) say they don't talk to patients (b) say that doppler ultrasound would not show the abnormal blood flow existing for an embalmed groin -- an embalmed groin is one that (i) has no blood flow in it, but should have signs of blood trying to flow "into" it and (ii) is dead but shows no signs of necrosis or infection due to the fixative properties of the tissue preservative used in the embalment.

Yes, I am a transsexual male-to-female who underwent one of the most divisive surgeries on the planet, and was subjected to the brutality of a Thai surgeon and his postop following.  I live in the US.  Not only am I not getting tests ordered to diagnose and treat my embalmed groin... no doctor is indicating that an embalmed groin has been ruled out.  In some cases, doctors have not recorded the symptoms I came to them with.  And never has any doctor listed ALL the symptoms I came in with:  enlarged & hardened urethra, hardened and gray vaginal canal, hardened and gray clitoris, deteriorated groin tissue.  These are symptoms you can show somebody, vs constant vaccuum sensation that would be consistent with on going toxic exposure.

What I am proposing is that a doctor in Thailand injected me with formaldehyde diluted in a oil solution during an outpatient office visit on day 9 postop, into a fresh groin wound.  And that he did that a day after I sent an email to a friend that, if intercepted, would have been misinterpreted as (a) disrespectful to a Thai surgeon and (b) someone who cheated the HBSOC system to get her surgery without a psychiatrists SRS letter.  

That happened to me while I was in Thailand by myself.  Not only was I cutoff from the doctor's online support group on day 13, when the height of complications were a hard-as-clay vulva and complete numbness of vulva, but none of the other patients were willing to talk to me lest they risk their own situation.  

I'm a year and a half postop with ongoing exposure to a toxin, most likely formaldehyde.  And if so, will need my groin removed, and possibly my legs.

Sincerely

tspatient