Radiology Community
CT scan

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

CT scan

I'm 24 years old and I am on three medications to help regulate blood pressure. I have also had a lot of boating and issues abdominally including several stretch marks appearing on my stomach around my belly button. Anyways, CT scan results showed a 5cm mass on my adrenal gland. She said to come back in three months for an ultrasound. My question is about what it may be. I've read a lot of things and it has me worried. Shouldn't they be checking hormone levels or should I just wait and not worry?
Hi!
A mass on the adrenal gland is not a normal finding. It can be either a benign tumor or it can be malignant /cancerous. The radiologist determines this depending on the size of tumor, and its looks, borders etc. In a contrast CT, adenomas usually wash out the contrast. They also appear as fatty tissue. Carcinomas or cancers usually present with Cushing syndrome like features with abdominal fat and typical look. Otherwise a mass like lesion can also be due to hemorrhage or cyst. If the lesion is benign then nothing needs to be done. Since this is a 5cm mass, please ask your doctors regarding further follow up. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.