Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Probable Liver Hemangioma

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Probable Liver Hemangioma

I had a CT scan a few weeks ago for something unrelated to my liver. I read through the CT report and it said I have a probable liver hemangioma, and it suggested I have a followup CT scan to make sure it is a hemangioma and not a cancerous tumor.

My question is this: is an MRI as accurate as a CT scan in determining if the spot on my liver is a hemangioma and not cancerous? Other than cost, is there a reason I should have a CT scan instead of an MRI? I would rather not have the radiation exposure of a CT scan if an MRI will produce adequate data.

Thank you!
A hemangioma is a benign self involuting tumour of endothelial cells (the cells that line blood vessels) . Approximately eighty percent are located on the face and neck, with the next most prevalent location being the liver. Although hemangiomas are usually  benign, the follow up is usually suggested to rule out any remote possibility of neoplasm. On a CECT the hemangioma typically shows centripetal contrast fill in.  Follow up can be done with either MRI/CT, but CT is somehow better for the upper abdomenial small lesions wherein there are some artifacts due to motion in MRI.

More than likely after they do a repeat CT they will order a MRI anyways. I speak from experience. I have 8 masses on my liver that were found by an ultrasound. After that I had a CT, MRI, and a Liver biopsy. I was FINALLY diagnosed with Nodular Regenerative Hyperplasia. But I have had a CT every 6 months since June of 07'. The reason being is when I had the MRI, I was allergic to the dye they used...So no more MRI's for me...almost killed me! My doctor would rather do a MRI but he is unable too. But just wanted to let you know that one test just really leads to another and more money. It's like it never ends.