Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Unexplained shortness of breath for months, what could be causing this...

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Unexplained shortness of breath for months, what could be causing this? PF?

Hello, I did not know where else to post this question. Essentially this all started 2 1/2 months ago when suddenly I was extremely short of breath after exercise, I went from being able to walk nearly 3 miles  day to not being able to walk more than a few blocks without feeling very uncomfortable and short of breath.

The feeling is essentially that i can't get a deep breath, some days are worse than others but altogether exercise is almost always intolerable. I had a full cardiovascular workup which was normal except I do have high blood pressure which is currently under treatment.  I should add that I am a 23 year old male 5,11 195 lbs.

Some days getting a breath is extremely difficult, anyway I am very worried because I have been reading about Pulmonary Fibrosis and am worried I have it.

I went to a pulmonologist who did the following tests 2 xrays 1 month apart that came back as normal.  I also did a PFT test which he said was good and didn't need to do further testing to rule out PF.  He also listened to my lungs and they sounded fine, my pulse ox is 99.  He diagnosed me with anxiety and sent me on my way.

Firstly as far as i know anxiety CANNOT CAUSE CHRONIC SHORTNESS OF BREATH OR SHORTNESS OF BREATH DURING EXERCISE!

Can I still have pulmonary fibrosis or should I trust the pulmonologist at this point? I am literally bedridden except for buying food and going to the bathroom. Sometimes the shortness of breath gets downright scary and I feel like I need to go to the ER but I have gone 3 times and my pulse ox is always 99-100% I usually get sent home with the diagnosis of "Panic attack" but I don't feel panicky, I feel frustrated however.

Could this be PF? What do you think?

Thank you

PS- I apologize for the frantic nature of this post, I am sick of feeling this way
This is an identical post to one you posted in the COPD Forum.
I will post an answer for you there as soon as possible.  Thank you.
It is indeed doctor, my apologies just looking for an answer as soon as possible. Will not happen again, I appreciate your understanding.