Bad Smell in my nose
For about a month I've had this bad smell inside my nose.  It's getting worse.  It smells like smoke, my eyes will burn and feel dry on occasion.  Sometimes my face will burn.  I don't smoke and not around anyone that does. My cheeks do hurt a litle especially when pressed.  It's driving me nuts and have scheduled a doctors appt.  Just trying to get some education and possible ideas on what this could be.
Well, I wouldn't say "this website sucks", it's good to see that we are not alone.  But yeah, it does suck that so far no one has found a solution to our problem.  Especially considering some of us have consulted doctors, ENT's, etc.  I plan to go to my doctor for the first time tomorrow.  I have had this problem on and off for a few years.  I'll share with you the things I have tried... some of them are laughable!  I too have a bad odor in my nose and for the longest time, once I figured out it wasn't in my breath, I wasn't sure if anyone else could smell it.  But then a good friend reluctantly brought it up.  I could tell it was something he and my other friends had discusded and were embarrased to talk about, but he finally had to say something to me.  UGH!  He handled it well though.  For me, the smell is chemical like.  And on days when it's really bad, my mouth has a metalic taste to it.  The smell can often give me headaches.  Here is what I have tried:  Initially, I just started brushing, flossing, and gargling with Listerine constantly.  That didn't work.  Then i bought Saline Nasal Spray.  That didn't work.  Then I emptied the Saline out and refilled the bottle with Listerine.  Yes... I sprayed Listerine up my nose.  This can be painful.  That didn't work.  Then I bought "Sino Fresh" which claims to kill mold and bacteria in the nose.  That didn't work.  Then i bought CloSYSII toothpaste and mouthwash, a more expensive oral care product.  That didn't work.  Then I emptied the Sino Fresh bottle and refilled it with CloSYSII mouthwash and sprayed that up my nose several times a day.  That hasn't worked.  Then I bought a nasal decongestant and started using that twice a day, and continued spraying mouth wsshes up my nose.  That hasn't worked.  I've tried Vick's Vapor Rub up my nose and sat in a steam room.  No luck.  And I have even poured various mouth washes into a Conair facial steamer and inhaled the steam from the mouth washes.  That hasn't worked.  And breath assure hasn't helped either.  I have tried a 100 combinations of all these tricks and nothing has helped.

So... my next step is to start with the doctors.  I've read here: http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/imagepages/003058.html that bad breath can be the symptom of more serious diseases, including renal/kidney failure which can cause an amonia odor on your breath.  

Maybe some of the people that have posted here have found a solution or cure and just didn't come back to update us.  I'll try to keep everyone up to date if I have any luck.  If you want, anyone is welcome to email me at ***@****  You are not alone!

Good luck! :)
damnn man, listernine up the nose.  Thats worst than when i tried salt and water. but yah if u do find a solution please let us know.
Ain't no use squirting ANYTHING up your nose, because you are fighting gravity.  Here is the cure for the bad nose smell, which is an infection of the hardest-to-reach sinus, which antibiotics will never reach. You are my beta-testers, so please let me know how it works for you.  Make saline solution--6 1/2 teaspoons salt to 1 gallon of a freshly opened distilled water.  Pour into a clean plastic squirt bottle.  Get in a hot shower, to loosen mucus.  STEP ONE.Tilt head back, squirt saline into each nostril, and pinch nose.  Set down bottle, and verrry slowly bend all the way down and look through your legs.  BE VERY CAREFUL bending over, cause some people might get dizzy and fall if they are old or have some other problem with balance.  Next, release your nostrils and let saline drain into your sinuses for 30 seconds.  SLOWLY bend halfway back up, so that you are looking straight down.  Close one nostril, blow verrry gently, release, close other nostril, blow verrrry gently.  DO NOT twist head to either side, or toxic schmoo will get in your ear canal.  DO NOT rub water out of your eye, except with the back of your clean hand, or you could get eye infection.    STEP TWO.  Stand erect, repeat step one, except after the water drains into your sinuses, slowwwwwly stand all the way erect before gently blowing each nostril.  Remember, one nostril will always be partly closed by the body, so only one nostril will get to feel cleared.  STEP THREE.  Repeat step two, except let all the schmoo drain slowly from your nose for a minute before you gently blow again.  Then do all the regular hawking, snorting and spitting that you've been doing since you got a undetectable sinus infection. Do this routine at least twice a day, for at least four days after it seems to have gone away.  Remember, always blow one nostril at a time, and press the other one closed.
I had the problem for 7 years, but I have been clear breathing for months.  I also have ways to keep clear and, but that'll be in my book. Good luck.
I had the same problem over a year ago.  My ENT found a Thorwalt cyst on my adenoids.  I had the cyst and adenoids removed.  The smell is gone.  I suffered for about 7 or 8 years.  I did a little research on the internet.  Look up Thornwalt's Cyst/  Good Luck everyone!!!
I smell ammonia and have had this problem for about 2 weeks.  I have use nasal sprays, mentholatum under my nose, a humidifier, hot, steamy showers and nothing helps.  I have a post nasal drip constantly.  No colored mucous.  I don't sneeze much.  I am on antibiotics and nothing has helped.  I am sick of the smell.
I finally found useful info on
sinuses [dot] com/fungal.htm
The persistent odor problem is likely due to a fungal-ball infection, rather than bacterial. Thus, antibiotics will be of no use.  Most physicians, including ENT's, are apparently unaware of the findings of the Mayo Clinic on this fact. Info on all of this is available at the web addr above. Best luck.
I FOUND THE PROBLEM.  well everyone is different but the smell in my nose that smells like poo, is becuase i have a bowel obstuction.  Ya it doesnt sound like bowels have anything to do with breath but it does.  Poeples odor that smells like ammonia is most likely because they have kidney problems.
check this out

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003058.htm
I've had "a problem" similar to some of those mentioned. This has bothered me for around 20 years. I've contemplated suicide.

I've been to all the ENT specialists in my hoemtown, Had a LKuc caldwell (basically they bore a hole in your sinus via your mouth an blast out whatewver they can), i've had 3/4 sinus washes. The smell also comes out of a cpped tooth. I can blow air (very minute passageway) goes up somewhere. - an awful smell comes out. all dentists have found nothing untowrd in my gums. When I catch a flight I pray im not stinking the place out...sometimes thinking i hope the plane crashes and puts an end to this agony/mental turmoil.

I take a very small/perverse satisfaction in knowing that there are fellow sufferers. I feel absolutely sympatheeitc to all that has this. I've been to see a psychiatrist. I've done meditation.

Ive a pain in my upper gum and constant blood clot in my inside nasal area. I've photocopied my GP's notes and he thinks i'm imagining it! He thinks I have olfactory hallocinations! Great. Why didn't he have the balls to tell me.

I don't want to be pessemistic - but i fear i may have to live with it. Maybe to should get together and setup a Stink commune -HAHAHA! I've learned to laugh at it all.. its that or cry.

I just wanted to know are you sure your odor is from a bowel obsruction,and if so what is you and doctor doing to fix this problem.
Dear everyone
First i want to say that you are not alone, i had a problem with
my breath for 16 years and my doctor couldn't find anything
wrong. I have another appointment coming up soon with my doctor
my breath smells like drains and i think it something to do with
my bowels,i'm sorry to have put you off your food if you happend to be eating whilst reading this. So if your breath smells like
mine then you do have problems with your bowels.
Good luck and i wish you good health.
If anyone knows anything about what causes the breath to smell
like drain, please e-mail me at the address bellow
thank you.
           ***@****
I've never had sinus problems but since February I have suffered from a bad smell in my nose.  Usually it smells like stinky feet, but sometimes like poop.  I kept going to the doctor because sometimes I had green mucus when I would blow my nose and assumed I had an infection.  They put me on three different tpes of antibiotics over a three month period.  After completing each dosage my symptoms would worsen.  I was sent for a sinus cat scan and followed up with an ENT and was told that I had fungus growing in my sinus. Since antibiotics feed fungus they were only compounding the problem. I'm going in on Thursday for surgery to have it removed. Do yourself a favor and ask your doctor to do a sinus ct.  I've read that untreated it could do major damage and possibly go into your brain.
Have you taken the drug Accutane sometime in your past?  It does a number on the mucotaneous tissues in the body and causes side effects setting in years after ingestion.  The medical community as a whole is unaware of Accutane's LATENT side effects.  If you've taken it check out the ACCUTANE ROACCUTANE ACTION GROUP FORUM.  There are literally thousands upon thousands of people unaware that their health problems stem from use of this highly toxic chemotherapy agent.  Patti Lodes
I too have this problem...started about a week ago.  I have been contemplating going to the doctor for a couple of days.  Called him today - he was booked thru Friday.  Can't see him till Monday.  I have never had anything like this.  I did have a cold and thought I would be smart and used a new med from Walmart that comes on a Qtip that is suppose to help shorten colds.  Now I have this problem.   I am interested in learning how the surgery for fungamoungous turned out.   I certainly that I don't have to do anything like that.  I truly believe its an infection...but then again.   It stinks and its green when I can blow.  Oh, and Peanutter - did you get a cure?
I got my first whiff of bad smell some months back. For a moment I thought it was my south end acting up. But then I realized it was something in my nose.  
Well, the doctor prescribed an antibiotics (penicilin). He told me to let him know about the progress - by telephone.  I supplemented this with saline nasal drops. You can get them from any pharmacy without a prescription and they are cheap. The smell went after 3-4 days.
Six months passed before the problem resurfaced. This time I did not use any antibiotics - just the saline solution. I put four to five drops in each nostril at least six times a day. It took 2-3 days and the smell disappeared. Well it has worked for me, I hope it works for you.
Good luck and if it works for you let others know.
Well, news good  everyone, the smell went away for 1 week. This was after i had a nasal polyp removed from my nose. This was after lying to my doctor to see if he would find a cure for me.But now the smell is back and  i realised it had something to do with my work environment.  
So what i am doing know is every four hours, while at work, i am trying to do the nasal wash thing that helps a little and trust God that there will be a cure for this.
Man, am I glad to find people with the same decease. I had bad breath coming out my nose for 4 years and it was the worst of worst nightmares. My daily routine during those years were take the bus around 6 am in the morning to school in order to avoid people covering their nose. I usually walk home from school. It
I have several friends who have sinus problems and they too  have this "breath odor". You can smell it from 3 feet away ! I sometime have a discharge, {when I sneeze,cough or gargle in the shower }from my sinuses at the back of my throat, that is white/tan in color and it is small peices that have the consistency of Tofu!!!!! and it has the most horrible odor! I am wondering if this is caused from the mucus being too thick as a result of too many decongestants and not enough water ? Anyway, I seem to have the odor more often than not these days with no idea what to do about it.
Seriously people, we ought to create a network. the stinky network.  Just Like SoUnlucky said. i mean We Stinky people gotta stick together. I want to commit suicide these days But car Gas Is So EXPENSIVE.
I was wondering if any of you who suffer from bad sinus odor tried any of the sinus irrigators. I've used to have only bad breath but after using tri-oral I seem to have developed an odor that comes out of my nose, although my breath is much improved. I've tried saline sprays and sinus drops but they don't really do much... some days are worse than others, and I also get a lot of mucus build up in the mornings. Doctors said that I don't have PND and said that the saline washes should remove the smell, but they could care less as it's not really working... I'm wondering whether the sinus irrigators would work at all?

It's really hard to focus in my classes. When people come near me, they sniff a lot and they starting chewing gum or eating mints. But when I talk to people it doesn't seem as if they notice anything, it's just when i'm listening or just sitting still when people really notice it.
Welcome to hell brother. Hard to escape but as soon u do, boom you come back right in the same ****. Never ever use decongestants bought from counters. Never. They tear apart some nasals which produce that odor if you don't have it before. They just worsen the situation if you already have the odor coming out of the nose. The only spray that works for a short time is NASACORT AQ NASAL SPRAY. It stopped the post nasal drip which causes the mucus which stacked for a longtime cause the bad odors. And oh use a lot of "allergy & sinus" pills. They worked for me a year ago. Now it came back. I personally prefer bad breath over this. Email me at this address if found a solution.

***@****
Have your doctor check your tonsils. Your decription is of broken off "Tonsil Stones" (or tonsilloliths). Do a search for these on the web and you'll see what I'm talking about. They usually cause bad breath, as well. If bad enough, the tonsils should be removed.
Good luck.
PLEASE....READ MY POST ON THE RESPITORY page/constant POST NASAL drip and throat clearing...

you are NOT dammed or forgotten....you are rotting from the inside out!!!
CLEAN UP YOUR DIETS, stop relying on drugs that do nothing but make you worse.

some of you have it right...it IS YOUR GUT!!!!!!!!
if you eat ****, and are not digesting it properly then guess what you smell like???
yes some people can eat whatever they want and it does not affect them but NOT everyone!!!!

pay attention and take responsibility- get on with taking charge of your own body and you WILL see a difference!!!!!!!!!

(for GeorgiaGurl, look up "adenoids" that is where the chunks are coming from, probably an infection there.) but the same applies....try quitting dairy, wheat, corn, sugar.....and some pro-biotics, the "xlear" nasal spray (all natural) and see if you dont feel better fast!

i KNOW it is HARD, but which is WORSE???
GOOD LUCK to EVERYONE!!
to dotse
why don't we all live in the same house, it will be great fun
Found Another Solution to The nose Stink.

To RABIA, yeah it'll be great idea. I've been saying the same thing to my doctor but he could care less about my tonsils. My toonsils don't work no more but she wouldn't even take the time to think the problem through. Anyway i found another spray that actually does the trick: " TERABREATH PLUS Nasal-Sinus Drops ". it will trigger the melting of the mucus that stuffed up your sinuses and causing the bad breath. keep using dropping in your nose every 10 minutes will clear it out. you will need a lot of tissue though. after it use a sinus-allergy pill to finish the job.

here's the link to the site.

http://www.therabreath.com/products.asp?cat=4&pid=12
I was reading some of the other questions on this forum and came across this.. Someone suggest using oil of oregano cause it is a natural fungal killer. I am going to go look for it today and try it out. Can some of you try it out too and post your results in a week.

Taken from the other question on this forum:

"...Since Christmas I have been bothered by post nasal drip, heavy mucus and symptoms of GERD as well. I've been on Nexium and had 12 days of biaxin to try and get rid of whatever bacterial infection might be going on. Nothing was working. I went into a health food store to see what else I could try and it was suggested I start using oil of oregano. Within 3 days my right nostril was clear and my left one is starting to open up. I am amazed at this stuff. For those of you suffering from these same kind of symptoms, it might be worth a try. It a a heavy duty natural antibiotic as well as a fungal killer. It's potent stuff so you only use 2-3 drops diluted in a bit of juice and drink it but by 3 days you should be noticing a difference. There are a lot of articles on the internet about oil of oregano and sinus/post nasal drip/clogged nose problems so hope this helps some of you..."
I guess I am not alone. Guess I share this with you:

I had the bad smell for 10 yrs and still going. And it really affected my school, career, and social life. I use to very active and social til around middle of college. And this curse in a way really helped me figure who I can really count on and whom I cannot. Family and relatives included.. Sometimes I really doubt them. Anyway it has given me a different outlook on life and I don't trust people (including family members) easily cause they don't really understand what I go through on a daily 24 hr basis... on the subway I had to basicly hide it... Lost many friends along the way but who cares care they are really not my true friends anyway. Suicide... thought about it many times but never did it.. and imagine that I would get killed by a car or my plane crashing suddenly or even I would be lucky if i was in the world trade towers on 911. I met my wife while having this problem and I was surprised.. She is my number 1. I trust her completely and don't mind taking a bullet or a truck for her without a thought.

Now onto some solutions:

I have been reading everyone's comments and comparing it to mine.. It seems like most doctors, even specialist like ENT are unaware of this issue... I guess this is one of those problems that the majority of people do not experience so doctors do not specialize in it cause they figure there is no money in it. Yeah, I said MONEY. Most Doctors are in it for the MONEY too just like lawyers. Notice how their receptionist always ask "What is your Insurance?" and if you do not have any, they will not even book you for an appointment. And if they do accept self-pay. They usually want you to do the money transaction first before you even see the doctors. Yeah, this happen on most occassions for me. So remember it is still a business for them. So I suggest the best is to try a minimum of 2 doctors or 2 specialist (like ENT) to find out what could be the cause.

From my own search, First go to a dentist and fix any cavities. I had 6 and got them all fixed. And remember for the filling, do not use the metallic one cause it seems to leave a metallic taste in my month. After 5 years, I switched to the ceramic fillings. It is a bit more expensive but definitely worth it cause (it is white) it hide all my fillings and the metallic taste is not there. My first dentist went with the cheaper metallic (black) fillings.. I do not recall him give me a choice then... oh well.

Next, check the tongue cause bad breath usually come from the back of the tongue. Two ways to tell if your saliva smells bad is lick your arm with your tongue. Wait 10 sec., then smell it... Or  another way is put all four fingers in your mouth and scratch the back of the tongue (as far back as possible), then smell the saliva.. Does it smell?

See www.therabreath.com for some products that I am using. I have been using the ktiv-K12 ProBiotics Treatment
(New ProBiotic Treatment Kit for Chronic Halitosis) for the last month and it seems to cure the bad smell on my tongue.  I cannot guarantee that it will work for everyone but it cannot hurt, right? Well, the ktiv-K12 is basicly cleaning up the tongue and planning good natural bacteria onto the tongue. You can read about it at the website.

I assume you floss, brush... try to avoid regular toothpaste cause they contain a drying agent that dries your month. Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily. Stop drinking soda, tea, coffee, smoking, any drink with a lot of sugar, or acidic juice... Try smoothie that are low on sugar and best is water.

If the odor still continue, try a saline rinse. Purchase a Nasal Irrigator and make the saline solution by using a glass of water, a teaspoon of table salt, and a teaspoon of regular baking soda. This helps but is not cure. At least from my experience.

I saw 2 ENT specialists. Try the older ones cause they are probably more experienced and seen more. On my 2nd ENT, I told him I was too embarassed to bluntly say I have bad breath coming from my nose. Instead I saw I have a bad odor coming from my nose. For some reason, it never happen when I visit the ENTs.  However I told him that I sometimes smell if like the week before at night. I was picking my nose to take out the dry mucus and it smelled a feces odor from my right nose. My left nose was fine but the feces odor seems to only happen on my right. And I did not put my finger really deep too. Just half an inch into my right nose. I think this 4-5 times and each time it smell like feces on my right. The left was fine. The next day, I could not reproduce it. A few weeks later, i was picking my nose and it happen again. I told my ENT and he did not smell anything during the visit. He then set me up for a CT SCAN of my nasal area and could find anything that would cause an odor. From the CT SCAN, he did say my batch of skin on the back of my nasal area is bigger than normal. This batch of skin which everyone has. He suggest I be aware that asian do have a higher chance of cancer in this area. It is bigger than normal but nothing to be alarm about yet. Anyway, continuing with the CT SCAN evaluation, he said there is a bend on the inside of my nose area. A wall that separates the left and right nasal area. On one side, the wall is bent causing a bump and that could POSSIBLY be a cause of maybe post nasal drip. The ENT says everything else looks fine. He says I could have the bump smoothed out for around $5000 dollars (self-pay) or continue using a nasal irrigation. So I ask him in his best opinion, what does he suggest. Should I do it? He recommend NO cause he did not find any DEFINITE proof that the bump was causing my bad odor.

It is pretty expensive and I do have the savings to pay for it. And have been thinking for more than a week if I should do it knowing that it may not cure my bad odor problem. But for the last several days I am leaning toward doing the procedure cause I have gone this far and spend this much money seeing the Dentists, ENTs, Doctors, CT-SCAN mostly using selfpay, Another step should be fine...

to foulfighter
like you i have lost most of my so called fiends because of
my problem,you are trying very hard to get rid of your problem
and you've got your wife to support you, the rest can get lost
well done on you and good luck.
A related discussion, feedbake was started.
A related discussion, Bad smell from nose & mouth was started.
A related discussion, bath breath was started.
A related discussion, bad nostril smell was started.
A related discussion, Has anyone else tried this?... was started.
A related discussion, Nasal smell identified! was started.
A related discussion, I saw a solution form another forum was started.
A related discussion, bad smell in nose was started.
A related discussion, HAve the same problem was started.
A related discussion, Response to discussion was started.
A related discussion, ..... was started.
A related discussion, Response to bad smell sinus people was started.
A related discussion, Bad Nose Smells was started.
My 2yr old son has ths foul smell coming from hs nose,thnx 2 a househelp i hired 2take care of him while i was workin.she neva bothered 2keep hm warm n nw am payin the price.2 ol the mothers out thea,is it reali worth it chasin afta money at work n end up spendin ol of it on takin our sick babies 2hospital?
A related discussion, Bad smell in nose could be GERD was started.
A related discussion, Does anyone have a real cure??? was started.
A related discussion, stinky sinus smell was started.
A related discussion, a was started.
A related discussion, Hi everyone i have the same problem! was started.
A related discussion, perhaps this will help was started.
A related discussion, Been to your local herbal store? was started.
A related discussion, My tonsil were removed 3-4 years, but still have complications? was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker