Respiratory Disorders Community
Bad smell coming from nose..Found a Cure!!! Yayyyy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

This is not a question but answer..i couldnt find how to comment or answer!

I have been suffering from a really horrible smell coming from my nostrils and if i sniffed i could also taste it..i tried actifed tablets and cattarh caspules but after a week it was still there..as if i had bad breath but instead of coming from my mouth it was coming from my nose..very embaressing as I work with customers every day and was sure they could smell it too.  So I went to the doctor and he gave me a nasal cream called Naseptin and some tablets called Erythromycin. After only a day of using these the smell has gone!  So there is a cure out there...its just finding the right one..now i dont know if its the cream that works or the tablets or both together but im just glad its gone. I have to finish the course tho. I was told that the smell was caused by bacteria that lives in the nose which had got infected. Hope this helps.

This discussion is related to bad odor smell from nose (continued).
Thank you SOOO much for the post.  I will relay this information to my doctor.  Hopefully this will work for me as well!!!
Hi-
I writing because my boyfriend, the past 6 months has developed a stale smell that comes mostly from his nose. He doesn't smell it, or taste it, so it is something I am noticing. Sometimes I can smell it from a distance. It smells very stale and not good. I don't know what to do to help him. It is very frustrating and a turn off.

I love him dearly and want to help solve this. I know I am sensitive to smell but there is clearly something wrong. It doesn't occur ALL the time, but most of the time it is there. When he brushes his teeth it will go away for a little but always comes back.

Please help!
Hi I recently was horrified to develop the same drop dead smelly nose reek that many members have posted about. It was arguably the most appalling stench I've ever had and I'm 57. In desperation when it developed very late, the night before my family was to arrive for a weekend visit,  I tried a home made saline nasal solution. Using a 12 hour over the counter spray bottle, emptied of its contents, I added my own saline - an ounce or two warmed a bit- into the plastic spray bottle.My homemade concoction  was  made from a tablespoon of table salt dissolved in a 1/2 cup of water with just a small part added to my spray bottle. I then aggressively sprayed the saline into each nostril 6 times each, blowing hard every few sprays. In a few sprays I managed to free up and blow out some dense mucus from my right nostril, which I also felt relieve the sinus on that side, Repeated sprays followed by reclining with my head tilted back made sure my sinuses were flooded with saline and partially cleared. Though my nose was still a bit smelly, the rankest smell was immediately greatly reduced, so that the awful original smell was far less noticeable unless another person was just a foot away! To dry myself up further,  and hopefully maintain this improvement, I followed up with several sprays of regular 12 hour mist and took 2 sudafeds.Happily, this home remedy drastically reduced the smell from my nose, and only required another saline spray ever 4 hours. Of course the next day I went to my local ENT Dr. and he told me the smell was indeed an infected sinus with deteriorating sinus mucus that was causing the dreaded smell. He prescribed 875mg of Augmentin twice a day for 10 days, nd encouraged me to continue aggressively using saline to reduce and eliminate the nose smell. 72 hours later m sinus is clear, the saline no longer needed and the smell is gone! So take heart folks! This can be managed promptly and effectively with lots of saline spray used to flood and clear the offending sinus!
Thanks for the post, I've had this problem for going on 6 years now and I've tried everything.  I rinse with saline no less than three times a day and use a steroid spray Nasonex at night, my ENT advised me to use Mucinex to help thin the mucus.  It helps but every four months like clockwork, the smell is out of control.  It never completely goes away but when it's bad I have to actually stay away from people.  This is my second ENT, I've tried every other doctor, had every ct scan and no one has been able to tell me what this is.  

I will try your solution and I plan on going back to my ENT with some of the information i've found on this site.  But I'm greatful for two things, one I can't smell the stench and second I'm not alone.  Until today I've not been able to find any one with this problem.  People helping people always has good results.
I've been experiencing sporadic daily nasal stink for about 6 months (I'm 52) and at first was horrified that it was some kind of body odor - that'll put a crimp in your socializing - until I finally figured out it was in my nose.
I tried constant saline spraying (not much help at all) then went to the "nettie pot" saline flushing (that helped the smell a little, but really made my sinuses feel good!). The heavy doses of saline led me to using first vaseline, and then AYR nasal gel to soothe my nostrils. I discovered that this coating seemed to alleviate the stink for a few hours. So I experimented further and found that thoroughly scrubbing my nostrils with hydrogen peroxide and then applying AYR gel virtually eliminated the stink - but only if I do it EVERY morning.
I'm not sure if this is a recommendable application for hydrogen peroxide, but after about a month of this treatment my nostrils seem healthy. Just wanted to share my experience hoping it helps someone 'cause this is a nasty little affliction that doctors don't seem to have any kind of handle on.
I too have this very depressing "smell". I've been dealing with it for about 9 years. I'm currently on an anti-depressant to get my life back on track, and I'm fighting hard to be happy again. We can help eachother, THERE IS A CURE! No, I havent figured it out just yet, but I'm trying everything and I'm never giving up. Not just for myself, but for YOU as well. B a r e K a n v a s @ a o l . c o m

I'm currently irrigating with NeilMed Sinus Rinse around 4 times a day, tilting my head back not forward, and it It seems to be helping.    
It's now almost March. You tried Fluconozole in early February.  How' is the nasal stench now?  Is it back - or gone - or what?  Please let us know the end of this story so we can know if we should keep looking for a cure.  Thanks!
Such things are almost always bacterial or fungal. Rather simple, really.
PLEASE READ... ...... GET AT ME AT THE ADDRESS..... ....

WELL I HAVE THE SAME CONDITION ... AND WELL IM PRETTY DESPERATE NOW...   I WORK IN A OFFICE , AND GOSH IT SUCK THINKING PEOPLE CAN SMELL YOU... TODAY I TOLD MY BOSS ABOUT IT... AND I WAS DEVASTATED , EMBARRASED...
guys girls hit me up...  uc_ irvine1 @ yahoo. com ..... all together ok i just spaced it so it wont blur out...
maybe its caused by sinus yeast infection...try taking virgin coconut oil 3x times a day
All these months later - DID THE NOSE STENCH RETURN?  Has it lessened or is it still gone?  We need to hear from you so we can better understand what works and for how long.  THANKS!!!!
WELL I TRIED THE FLUCONAZOLE 150MG, THREE PILLS, ONE PER WEEK FOR THREE WEEKS AS ONE PILL WORKS FOR SEVEN DAYS - NOT ONE - BUT THREE!!!! THREE WEEKS!!!!  IT DOES NOT WORK!!!! AT LEAST IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!!! SO....NO CURE HERE!!!!! ANOTHER DEAD END!!!!!!!!!!!!    I FOUND A NO CURE!!!!!! YAYYYY!  Dissappointing.
Hi im 18 years old. Ive been dealing with this problem since I was 14...Ive had bad breath over those 4 years and I got a cold this past winter and my condition has gotten worse..I no longer have a cold but I ALWAYS HAVE TO BLOW MY NOSE...Everywhere I go people can smell me and its SOO embarrasing...I havent had a girlfriend for 2 years now...I can stink up a whole room just by being in it and its sad cause I KNOW FOR SURE PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE SMELL THEYRE SMELLING COMES FROM ME....I WORK AT A PLACE WHERE I HAVE TO INTERACT WITH CO-WORKERS AND CUSTOMERS AND ITS TRAGEDY...IVE BEEN WORKING THERE FOR ONLY A MONTH and people know that the smell is coming from me....I used to think it was my breath which i stil think it is...so I used to talk as little as I can then I noticed that the air I exhale was SOOO HOT....and even when I keep my mouth shut people are stil sniffling around me....rubbing theyre nose..ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF....i remember hearing a co-worker saying "that kids needs to take a bathe"...and its SO SADD because I AM A CLEAN PERSON...SHOWER N BRUSH EVERYDAY....and i stil cant shake this curse..THINKIN ABOUT IT NOW I CANT EVEN COUNT THE AMOUNT OV MONEY I SPENT ON MOUTHWASHES,TONGUESCRAPERS,CO-PAYMENTS AT THE DOCTOR,GUM ETC.....I WATCH THE NEW ABOUT PEOPLE COMMITING SUICIDE AND STUFF LIKE THAT N I USED TO LAUGH BUT NOW WHEN I WATCH I THINK ABOUT WHAT I GO THROUGH AND I FEEL THEYRE PAIN...WHETHER THEY DID IT FOR THE SAME REASON OR NOT....ITSS LIKE OVER THE YEARS THE SMELL HAS GOTTEN EVEN WORSE..AND ITS LIKE MY BERATH ARE DOO-DOO BULLETS....PEOPLE CAN SMELL THEM FROM LIKE 3 FEET AWAY...IM SICK OF GOIN TO THE ENT  and have them tell me about allergies...I wake up in the morning and I have to spit up so much mucus......I Stopped smoking and the problem still persists....sometimes it feels like i have something stuck in my my throat when I swallow...THE WORST PART ABOUT THIS IS....MY FAMILY n FRIENDS....They know I have a problem but no-one HAS EVER SAID ANYTHING TO ME....n IT hurts because I know theyre somewhat ashamed but they love me and they know saying something will be too damaging to my ego and confidence which is already low...THIS CONDITION REally showed me who my real loved ones are....IVE BEEN TAKING PRILOSEC OTC cause the ENT said I HAVE GERD but after 3-4 weeks of taking this I realize this is not where my problem lyes...I NEED HELP PEOPLE.....I REALLY NEED HELP.....I CANT GO THROGH LIFE LIKE THIS......I HAVE TOO MANY ASPIRATIONS IN LIFE AND SOMETHING LIKE THIS CAN HINDER THEM ALL.............ITS FUNNY BECAUSE IN JUNIOR  HIGH I WAS VOTED  CLASS CLOWN And now PEOPLE know me as "THE QUIET BOY"....and overtime they realize why im so quiet.....IM NO Womenizer but I LOVE WOMEN....HOW CAN I EVER APPROACH A WOMEN ANYMORE LIKE THIS.........

SOMEONE PLEASE HELPPPPP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM SO DESPERATE..SMH!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for your quick response and concern...I was originally scheduled to go back to the ENT in a month but I am going to make a appointment this week. It kinda saddens me thought that I have had this condition for a while now and it makes me think whether im in too deep and there's no cure....But since you've shared your story with all of us I have hope because I believe God has a cure for it  and we probably all did something to bring about this sickness and didn't know the possible repercussions.

I think we should all pray for each other because we're truly helpless people and we need all the love and positive energy we can get just so we can stay in good spirits and keep hope alive.

I recently brought a saline nasal spray and I noticed a change in my nostrils. The air coming from it is much cooler already and its easier to breathe through my nose. Maybe im on to something. I'm going to mix another saline solution with salt n baking soda and experiment with certain remedies until my oppointment.
Yea I've been given antiobiotics. I finished them a while ago. When I first got them I noticed a difference in my overall health..how I felt, and how my nasal passages felt but after a while it stopped.

I stil have more of this one antibiotic called CEFUROXIME AXETIL I dont know what it does but it was the first antibiotic I had gotten a while back. When I went to the ENT they did a culture exam on the back on my throat and they noticed my nostrils were inflammed and they said I had a infection. The infection I had in my throat was  Morganella morgani...I took antibiotics for it but i dont know whether its stil there. I guess I'll find out on my next trip there....I cant take the fact that they serve you and tell you to come back 2 weeks from now or a month..as if your not suffering from something really serious.
For how long you have the bad breath from the nose?  Mine has been going on a little over a year now and I think its getting worse because i think now it both my nose and my mouth.. I am going to try naseptin and see if it will help.  Will let you know after 10days of use.  
Mine also the same problem.Bad breeth from last 1 year.
I used so many tablets but nothing won't work for me
finally i try to use Naseptin and Erythromycin.
Am from india.whether these medicines are available in india?
I don't know.if anybody knows india paramacy address please post me

I  tried the Naseptin but unfortuately didn't work... I have used it for ten days now and my breath still smell like my poo I'm sorry... I dont know what to do anymore since I have also done a nasal surgery..
hi! I've had a similar problem for more than 10 years now...
Out of the blue my smell/taste change and everything i eat/smell is awfull.
Searching for a "cure" i found out, that using water through my nose and letting it out again (like washing the nose from the inside). It works, but it does not solve the problem.
Besides, the problem is only getting worse as time goes by. In the past it would happen sometimes during the week, now it happens sometimes during the day. I wash it and have it again after a while. It's horrible. I wrote to this doctor and he said it is definately associated with my demyelination (a brain abnormality) and i should search a solution in that direction. In another forum someone had demyelination too and the doctor said it has nothing to do with it.
I am really frustrated... I don't know what to do...! Everything stinks, tastes awfull and i can't enjoy my life.. really! What do we do??
Do this breathing technique and it will balance your left and right brain and both your nostrils. Your feedback will help others to see how this simple exercise helps in so many ways. You are balancing your systems to fight off the problem.Do not give up before 4 months.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Hi there
I'm Akira. I had had bad breadth from my nose too long that my self esteem was badly damaged.
Dear young_n_restless, this is what worked for me. I hope it woks for you. I thank everyone for their suggestions, so helpful. I believe the breathing technique to balance your right and left brain will balance  almost everything in your whole being especially supported by an attitude of prayer and adoration with gratitude to the giver of life.
Also the saline solution even home made is excellent, it also worked for me in many other cases like soar throat as you attack it at the first sign like itchy throat, curing a wound, colon cleansing, constipation, ear infection...If you can wake up early morning to worship God, watch the sunrising , love and embrace the sun and all of nature, you find out that the love of God flows everywhere  to give life abundantly, to heal and sustain us. Please keep your head and neck warm. My e-mail: ***@****
God be with you.
Hello All,
I believe I’m cured.  Don’t give up hope!!!
I’ve been suffering from the same symptoms everyone’s calling… chronic sinusitis.  
The symptoms were a really bad, bad, horrible smell coming from my nasal passage and throat.  Sometimes the smell got to be so bad I though it was coming from my pores.

I went to see my primary care physician about 3 times…  a Ear Nose and Throat doctor once…
My Primary Care Physicians gave me meds for drainage and an antibiotic.  It wasn’t working.  I didn’t think a cure was in sight.  The ENT gave me some antibiotics and recommended surgery to open up my nasal area to increase the drainage flow… I really considered the surgery… and was about to schedule a follow up appointment to discuss the possibility of going through with it, Until…

I prayed to GOD in Jesus Christ’s name about this whole ordeal that I’ve been going through.  This wasn’t the first time I prayed, but when I did pray… a temporary solution was received… I guess it depends on how and for what I pray for; at least that’s how I saw it.  The next time I prayed I made sure I was specific and included as many details to the problem as I could.  My wife prayed as well on her own.  

When I was taking the antibiotics, I thought the problem was going away.  The smell did go away, but not completely; The smell was more manageable, but unpredictable.  I started to use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse; sometimes with a half cap of Peroxide.  It helped a little, but I had to do it often.  Then I got word of a product called AYR Sinus Gel.  It’s used to keep the nasal passage moist.  As I understand it, when the nasal passage gets dry, coupled with infected mucus makes a smelly day.  I also use Maximum Strength Mucinex D – 1200mg guaigenesin & 120mg pseudoephedrine HCL.  

(About 10 days ago… I prayed again that morning; being very specific and not feeling to confident about my day.  I went too work, completed my day.  I treated my symptoms with the Rinse, Peroxide and nasal gel… as I did every morning, sometimes twice a day.   And then I caught a cold.  In this case a cold was a good thing.  The cold forced me to blow my nose so much I generated a bag and ½ full of used tissue; over the course of the cold.  I was constantly discharging the infected mucus from my nose and spitting mucus from my throat.  This went on for about 5 days.  At the end of the 7th day the smell was GONE.  I THANKED GOD.  The sequence of days went like this.  ( I caught a cold on a Friday.  I was coughing over the week end.  We had a snow storm Sunday night.  I was off work / snowed in for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and went back to work on Thursday.  I wasn’t 100% on Thursday.  But by Friday I didn’t smell the same odor.  I didn’t really smell any odor.)   I told myself and made a promise to GOD that if this smell is gone, I would reply back to this blog and explain my ordeal so others would have Hope and read how my problem was resolved.  

I didn’t want to enter the blog until I was certain, because I’ve had the issue for about a year.  I waited for 7 more days… until January 21st, 2010 to enter this blog.  This medical blog is the resource I used to research my symptoms when I was looking for clues to my sinus problem.  I read some horrible stories and understood the stress people were going through.  

So in summary… Prayer in Jesus Christ’s name was my cure and the cold was my Blessing…  Today I only use the sinus rinse because it’s a good way to clean the nasal passage, I use the nasal gel in the morning to avoid any nasal dryness; along with Maximum Strength Mucinex D.  I use these products only once a day and I have no odor coming from my nasal passages…  I really do not need to take these meds for chronic sinusitis… I only take these meds for good hygiene and as a precaution.  

I hope this information is helpful.  The solution may sound simple and straight forward, but my doctors basically gave up.  GOD was my only option, besides surgery; which I hear wasn’t successful for some people.  

My job requires me to be in people’s faces for meetings and business conversations, so I understand the stress this medical issue can cause.
Flex44 thanks for your post.  I too pray every day about this problem.  I am desparately in need of employment right now and NOBODY will give me a job.  I am going to try your method.  Did your smell only come from your nose?  Mines come from nose and mouth.
I'm not a Doctor but I know that this kind of disease is unkown for most of Doctors out there it is called Ozena, also known as (atrophic rhinitis), is a rare chronic inflammatory disease that affects the lining of the nasal cavity.

Treatment involves combination of antibiotics and other types of medication, vitamin therapy and systemic estrogens geared toward reducing the crusting and eliminating the odor.
After treated avoid get Flu or cold because it can trigger the previous condition if not treated in days.

If you feel that the whole world or air smells like an infected wound wrapped in a dirty sweat sock, that would be it.

Don't keep yourself in a close room, look for a Doctor on is 30s to 49 they may get is right.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec19/ch221/ch221g.html provides an extensive overview of the various types of rhinitis, including ozena
I have a bad smell in my nose, but only I can smell it, thankfully. It's an infection smell, like when you take a band-aid off a cut, but I know mine is related to chronic sinus infections, adenoids (adenoids), and believe it or not...my tonsils.

I brush my teeth with baking soda, and gargle with 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide just in case there is any chance for bad breath. No one has ever complained, so I don't think I have any "smell", although I can't seem to smell anything but the bandage smell when I try to detect odor.

Anyway, your tonsils, if the are infected OR impacted with tonsil stones (tonsiliths), your breath, your nose, and your tonsils will stink. Sometimes like poo. And once you get tonsil stones, they create pockets in the tonsils that trap bacteria from sinuses and food particles, and even when the stones are removed, there is a chance they will reform later on.

My doctor has been after me to get my tonsils out, but I haven't had the money to do it yet. Soon, I hope I'll be able to have them out. But, anyway, I felt sorry for the person who says their breath and nose smell is like poo, and that others can smell it. Don't kill yourself. That's not the answer.  

Have a doctor check your tonsils for tonsil stones. They are like hard, white  lumps that smell like poo. Some people actually cough them up sometimes, especially smokers. But you can get them even if you don't smoke because they are basically decaying food particles, saliva, and mucus that has been trapped in your tonsil "crypts".

Good luck, everyone!
I can't take this sudden stench in my nose,
I think mines may have been triggered by humidity and a roach infested apartment!! Or maybe it was exessive drinking of flavored vodka one summer, maybe even a bad combination of the two. I also recall about 8 years ago getting sick being on anti biotics to then a couple Of months down road getting like puss in the back of my throat. I decided to skip the doctors office and deal with it myself instead, I gargled with warm salt water and with kabob sticks I would dig out the matted paste like puss. I wonder if me skipping the doctors has haunted me now!! I am super frustrated! I can't keep dealing with this issue! I have tried Neilmed nasal wash, sometimes it helps others not so much... It's been almost a 3 yr battle!
did your boyfriend found a cure I also have the same problem
I had a really bad smell coming out of my mouth and nose but now I'm trying Nasonex and the vegetarian option ( not eating any meat or smelly food)  and thanks GOD it's working very well; the odor is gone.
Same here !!!....... I am exactly in the same shoe as you:  I work with customers and with cross-functional team members....and I truly stink!  People can smell me from about 10 feet away.  They are always rubbing their nose, covering their nose, fanning the air as they talk to me, make comments, ......... and so on.  I am completely crushed, to say the least.  I absolutely identify myself with you.  If you come up with any suggestions, solutions, etc., please let me know.  I am desperate too.  If you want to get in touch with me, please do so at:  ***@****
Thank you!  I will try the same.
Thanx for letting me kno I hav the same problem but how long were u on the diet and how long were u dealing with the problem
Operation is the best way remove it completely
has anyone got cured now? sorry this reply came very late. but i really want to know if any of u were cured now from this horrible smell that we all dealing with. please i need answers..
I have the same problem.  Been to dentist, gastrologist, ENT and no help. Last month I went to a lung doctor and he's treating me for a disease called Parosmia coming from the Olfactory. He has prescribed Calazopam(?) starting out with .25 (1/2 pil) twice a day. This did not get rid of the smell but the smell changed. He up my dose to one pill .50 twice a day and the smell is almost gone. I don't smell it as much. Doctor said this treatment is just the beginning he has other things to try.  I am very hope we are on the right track.  I have had this problem for 7 years.  I'm beginning to feel like my old self.  
eish this situation reflects on my side since i was young and now i don't knw what to do realy
do you think we have some fungus in the nose or somthing? cause i dont really get cold anymore. i dont have runny nose. though the smell has lessen in years  there is still the smell in my nostril. people near me can smell it. and if i stick something inside my nose there's a smell. and i read in some forums here that someone get cured by applying a nasal cream in the nose called naseptin.
i have this horrible smell too and am jst 15, can u imagine hw tht could have change my life evrywhere, at school, in church and everywhere, and my family dont seem to believe me becuz all they tell me is they never had of someone wit a nose odor before, and am kind of alone facing my problem, am on montelukast and afrin nasal sray for some weeks now and i dont seem to have seen any changes, this never happened to me and didnt happened to me here until when the summer started cuz i just came last year summer to UNITED STATES and everyting was going goo until october when the temperature started to change and which was when the odor started, am wondering how can i be able to get the naseptine nasal cream so i could also give it a try, this is killing me for real. i have no idea whether its the temperature here that is affecting me because temperature is alwayz normal in my country where i came from, i will be happy if someone can show me how to get the naseptine nasal cream because my parents dont believe me but am always ashamed of myself when even my best friiends are now departing from me because they cant endure the smell that comes from my nose, and those people who love me before and always wanted to be around me and want to learn from me are now scared of getting closer to me, this has changed my life a lot, anyone that can be of help to me should please be, because am thinking of killing myself because this is the greatest problem a person can alwayz cry of everyday and can change every good thing that have been in someone life for many years to bad in just a seconds my email is ***@****, i would be glad if u can help me please
Please do not say things like killing yourself...This will get better if you do not give up...read every post and try every thing that has worked for others until you find a cure--and you will find a cure if you do not give up--never give up..many, many others have overcome this and much worse...i know it is hard and awful and it will get better if you keep persevering
have you found a remedy for the nasal odor your boyfriend has if so please let me know
heyy there. I'm 19 and I think I have sinusitis but I am not consulting any doctor. I noticed that whenever I talk to my friends even when my mouth is closed they tend to rub their nose or sniff. When I was in high school I suffered from stomach pain. Again, I didn't consult any doctor, I just treated myself with milk everytime my stomach hurts. With that, I have realized that I have ulcer but up to now I am not consulting a doctor. I rarely experience stomach pain but it is still there, until now that I am in college. The problem is I think the bad breath comes from my NOSE!!I don't know!!It's because I noticed that when someone is behind me, they tend to SNIFF or RUB or even cover their noses!I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO! DO I SUFFER FROM BAD BREATH coming from my nose or from my gastrointestinal are?Please give me some advice. I am slowly decreasing my self-esteem. I started to decrease my social interaction because of my bad breath. I don't know if it's coming from my nose or mouth. pleeeease I do not know what to do:((( please talk to mee:(  Tomorrow, I will be consulting a gastroenterologist about my problem. What will I ask him? PLEASE I need an advice:(((
I have the same problem but with my girlfriends nose but every time I mention it she throws a hissy fit and starts to cry, how can i get her to go see a doctor about it?
She may know, but its such a horrible thing to have to face.  Some of us can't smell our nasal odor (I've never been able to smell mine), so to have someone tell us this is just difficult to handle.  Just let her know how much you care and you only want her to see a doctor because you want to make sure she's okay, if she has a girlfriend that can also confirm that might help, but only ask people to help that love her.  You should go with her, must doctors don't know had to deal with this type of problem so they try to make us believe we don't have it.  Good luck.
I think I found the cure. It is saffron Omega 3 fatty acid.
Ask your boyfriend to drink hot water with saffrom(5-6 stigmas enough) on empty stomach( no milk/no wheat/no meat for one week) two times( before breakfast and dinner).
And he should also take omega 3 capsules 3 times/day.
Let me know how you feel after a week?
TRY THIS WITH THE INFO ON TOP... IT WORKS !
I Used it twice a day to start with my regular oral hygiene. I got this thread from someone on another site. (Antibiotics makes the issue worse, It kills all bacteria both good and bad and the bad smelly bacteria tends to grow back faster than the good bacteria.)[br>[br>I prayed to GOD in Jesus Christ's name about this whole ordeal that I've been going through. This wasn't the first time I prayed, but when I did pray"026 a temporary solution was received"026 I guess it depends on how and for what I pray for; at least that's how I saw it. The next time I prayed I made sure I was specific and included as many details to the problem as I could. My wife prayed as well on her own. [br>[br>When I was taking the antibiotics, I thought the problem was going away. The smell did go away, but not completely; The smell was more manageable, but unpredictable. I started to use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse; sometimes with a half cap of Peroxide. It helped a little, but I had to do it often. Then I got word of a product called AYR Sinus Gel. It's used to keep the nasal passage moist. As I understand it, when the nasal passage gets dry, coupled with infected mucus makes a smelly day. I also use Maximum Strength Mucinex D — 1200mg guaigenesin & 120mg pseudoephedrine HCL. [br>[br>(About 10 days ago"026 I prayed again that morning; being very specific and not feeling to confident about my day. I went too work, completed my day. I treated my symptoms with the Rinse, Peroxide and nasal gel"026 as I did every morning, sometimes twice a day. And then I caught a cold. In this case a cold was a good thing. The cold forced me to blow my nose so much I generated a bag and ? full of used tissue; over the course of the cold. I was constantly discharging the infected mucus from my nose and spitting mucus from my throat. This went on for about 5 days. At the end of the 7th day the smell was GONE. I THANKED GOD. The sequence of days went like this. ( I caught a cold on a Friday. I was coughing over the week end. We had a snow storm Sunday night. I was off work / snowed in for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and went back to work on Thursday. I wasn't 100% on Thursday. But by Friday I didn't smell the same odor. I didn't really smell any odor.) I told myself and made a promise to GOD that if this smell is gone, I would reply back to this blog and explain my ordeal so others would have Hope and read how my problem was resolved. [br>[br>I didn't want to enter the blog until I was certain, because I've had the issue for about a year. I waited for 7 more days"026 until January 21st, 2010 to enter this blog. This medical blog is the resource I used to research my symptoms when I was looking for clues to my sinus problem. I read some horrible stories and understood the stress people were going through. [br>[br>So in summary"026 Prayer in Jesus Christ's name was my cure and the cold was my Blessing"026 Today I only use the sinus rinse because it's a good way to clean the nasal passage, I use the nasal gel in the morning to avoid any nasal dryness; along with Maximum Strength Mucinex D. I use these products only once a day and I have no odor coming from my nasal passages"026 I really do not need to take these meds for chronic sinusitis"026 I only take these meds for good hygiene and as a precaution
Hi guys,

Feel like I've had bad breath for about 10 years now and I've tried a number of things. I only found out about 5 years ago and so many things started to make sense :p Wanted to share what has worked with you:

For one, i had mad anxiety. this would make my head all hot. some of the anxiety would come from thinking/knowing i had bad breath. this would make me hot causing bad breath or simply making it worse. and around we go.

i got back on anti depressants as suggested by a couple of doctors. this helped me keep my cool. i still noticed people here and there mess with their noses when around me but i realized that this WASNT ALWAYS MY BAD BREATH! a lot of the time i was just projecting my insecurities. if you watch random people, they touch their noses all the time. we just notice stuff like that way more often because we are more affected by it. its like when you buy a new car, you notice that car all over the road all the time. the car isn't around any more often, you just notice it more.

anyways back to it:

i brush and floss, obviously
i take a shower with steam and use a neti pot. i hawk looogi's all the time. what i believe happens is my LERD comes up to my vocal cords and reddens them. it also causes my post nasal drip. this makes my mucus stay in the back of my throat and begins to smell even worse. i get rid of the mucus as often as i can by spitting it out or blowing my nose. i also dont eat greasy *** food because this will add to the mucus and the stuck feeling in my throat (mcdonalds, taco bell, super duper chinese). healthier, less greasy foods are obviously better for you anyways.

i also take prilosec otc every day. aciphex is also a good heartburn (LERD, GERD) med that my doctor prescribed. This stuff does not have a generic form and costs about $280 per month without insurance. prilosec works pretty well too i think.

i drink plenty of water throughout the day. soda and smoking don't help. i don't drink soda or sugary drinks really, esp if theyre carbonated. i smoked weed here and there but this is obviously bad for breath so i stopped.

my main advice would be to understand that its not ALWAYS your breath that people are making a face or touching their nose about. although do think that. do your best to keep your cool. get rid of your mucus in the morning and throughout the day if you can. really try hard to clear your throat and spit that crap out. i know this is sometimes inconvienient or embarrassing when youre around a lot of people. i wish you guys the best it really is tough with this "thing" that we have.

ps i also have my bed elevated at the head going down so that the LERD doesnt get to my throat at night.

good luck, sorry for the length and misspellings i had a lot to say. these posts have helped me a lot so i wanted to give you my insight/findings. i hope this helps someone i know how it *****
btw ive seen a gastro doctor and an ENT. done a barium swallow and the test where they stick the flashlight down your throat. all they've come up with is the redness on my vocal cords. i believe this makes my breath smell, especially when i deepen my voice or talk loud. i also had the test where they see if a certain type of bacteria is in my stomach. none of these really helped. my best advice is to take good care of your throat. keep it clean and clear, it will become habit after a while but you should notice that your bb is significantly better.

like i said i believe its all about mucus and phlegm. get these out
i SUFFER FROM OZENA.DOU YOU KNOW HOW TO GET RIF OF THE SMELL .tHANKS
ty so much for the positive post---I am going insane with this odor?
I think our condition is called Ozena. I am going to try to make an appointment with an ENT. Until then I will try the extra strength mucinex and neti pot
I used to suffer from this terrible/embarrassing bad breath too I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY AND GRATEFUL that its gone now, my throat used to be very red and I used to spit out a lot of mucus in the morning  and sometimes I still think mucus is stuck at the back of my throat but I normally take large sips of hot water and that helps. My breath from mouth and nose was smelly, smelly but I couldn't smell anything but obviously from the reaction I got from my surroundings it was obvious I had a terrible bad breath. I've had this for like 5 years this is what worked for me, 1 or 2 of these or all of them maybe.

Naseptin - I don't think this helped

Clarithromycin tablets (Antibiotics)

CORSODYL MOUTH WASH - THIS DEFINITELY WORKED, used it twice, morning and evening after brushing teeth, then wait 5-10mins then use this but don't wash/clean mouth after use

Hydrogen peroxide 3% - I used this at midday but  not in the morning or evening cuz I was using Corsodyl

I hope this helps anyone but for me the Corsodyl mouth wash worked definitely
Glad you have found help.  Just a word of caution, be careful with the antibiotics, I honestly believe a long term dose of antibiotics are the reason I have this problem, I think that may be one thing many of us have in common.  If you continue to take them you should also take a probiotic.  
Thanks a lot, I am suffering from the same...  Now I know what to do...
what did it smell like
how is everything going with the lung doctor visits
What did you do? Who is Thanks a lot?
hi there...is Naseptin cream for you..please let me know..I have this same problem and not really worried cos I am married with 4 children...but now all my kids got the same problem..what its worse my 19 year old son come to the point where he just want to commit suicide..his girlfriend left him and now he hated me cos he thinks he got from me..please please please i need your feedback on this please.
I've had this problem for years, and I've found that the sinus rinse (haven't tried neti pot, prefer the neilmed squeeze bulb (http://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Bottles-Premixed/dp/B001HDRHR8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396629368&sr=8-2&keywords=neilmed+sinus+rinse) I use it in the morning shower & the evening, and pretty much anytime the smell returns.

It does help control it for a few hours. I also chew a lot of gum, like when I'm going to be in the car with someone.

My doctors used to overprescribe antibiotics, which totally made this problem worse. I cut them off, and figured I was on my own.  I add GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT that I bought on amazon to my sinus rinse, about 20 drops per full bottle. It's helped a LOT. It is a natural antifungal/antibacterial and is very safe. Tastes kind of bitter but who cares!

Then recently I started trying the "flip turn sinus rinse" method, to help get the rinse into the upper sinuses. This has helped IMMENSELY. I still get a little smell, but it's much less, and I'm convinced that if I keep it up things will get better.

Also, drink a lot of water, and when you feel like you can't blow the snott out (notice how after you get a bunch OUT of your nose, the smell is OK for a bit? Yep... gotta get that stuff out) drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Vinegar is a mucous loosener, and you'll notice immediately you'll be able to blow the stuff out.

Doctors wanted to do surgery, they are just now beginning to recognize that these are FUNGAL infections, not bacterial. They gave me so many antibiotics that I think it killed off a lot of good bacteria, and let the bad fungus just take over. There was a time the smell was really really bad.

I wish there was a quick cure. But I think we are down to  just treating the symptoms and hoping for the best. Good luck everyone, never give up, and I highly recommend sinus rinse + grapefruit seed extract + flip turn method. As much as you can handle :)

(and yes, the anxiety someone mentioned leads to a lot. Anytime someone says "what's that smell" or offers me gum I jump to conclusions. Usually it's some other smell. If you're really worried, explain it to a close friend or partner, and ask them to be really honest with you and let you know if they smell it. Then, just excuse yourself for a quick rinse, and carry on - don't kill yourself over something as stupid as a smell!)
Forgot to put the link of the flip turn flush:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush
hi there, I am just wondering if your problem solved with Naseptin Cream and erythromycin tablets..I also have the same the problem and so my four children..Please help me....