Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Bronchitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Bronchitis

Hello... I am a female and 30 years old. About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with Bronchitis in the emergency after a severe attack. I had chest x-rays done and was given a 7 day supply of "Zithromax", but, something puzzles me. I don't have a cough at all... no mucus... just this foamy substance that keeps coming up in my throat and causes me real problems in breathing. Is this bronchial fluid?? In all my online searches I hear of nothing but mucus.. but, nothing close to what I am experiencing with this foam. (excuse my medical ignorance)

I thought it was Acid Reflux before going to the emergency room and took antacids to help because anytime I would eat or drink anything I had a tremendous amount of this foamy substance come up my throat and was constantly burping (sorry). Anyway, this, carbonated drinks or seltzer water seemed to aggravate the amount of foam and make it worse....so I stopped drinking them all together.

I am now suffering again after 4 months from Bronchitis and am wondering if it really is this or something else in combination with it. I am sick and tired of having this in this heat wave and wondering when it will finally clear up for good. I am drinking warm fluids, using the vaporizer and giving myself chest massages which are helping, but, I am afraid of having another episode landing me in the emergency room from lack of air in my lungs.

Any additional comments on what could be happening to me would be greatly appreciated before I go to the doctor again for fear of another severe attack.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the back flow of stomach contents, including digestive juices, into the esophagus or food tube.  This is most commonly called acid reflux or heartburn.  This reflux can come all the way up into the mouth and nose.  When this happens the material can be aspirated, dribbling into the windpipe and lungs.  This could explain your symptoms, including the bronchitis.

Acid reflux can cause the following symptoms:
I have been diagnosed with acid reflux for the last couple of years and the various medications I've been taking (prilosec, nexium, aciphex, etc.) are no longer working satisfactorily. I'm geting to the point where surgery is indicated. My question is, given the severity of my condition, are there some alternative treatments I can try. I've done acupuncture and used ginger tea in the past. Also, if it comes to the point of surgery any thoughts? I've heard of a proceudre called the Stretta process which is relatively new and minimally invasive. Has anyone heard of it pro or con?
Thanks,
Bob