Respiratory Disorders Community
Cannot breathe properly, tight chest, wheezing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Dear MOM  
Your son doesn't have to wheeze for him to have asthma. Not all asthmatics wheeze, some only have a wet cough. That is the type of asthma I have.  There is an organization called mothers of asthmatics that can offer some practical help. They have a web site and local chapters. Children as young as 3 can be taught to do peak flows to moniter their asthma.  I taught my three children that early.

I have recently been having problems with breathing. I have been a pretty healthy person. I practiced Martial arts, occasionally went biking, running and Parkour. Then I went into a short "huddle in front of the computer screen" phase. Once tired of the computer i went out to get some exercise. I found myself short on breath. I figured I was just a little out of shape since i have not exercised in a while. Weeks later, I got people to remove mold from my house and replace molded walls with new walls. I had to sleep in the living room where they put in a filter. Months passed by, and my breathing just seemed to get worse. I ended up getting this cough a while later, then my chest felt like it had something in it all the time and I had to clear it up. I breathed out really hard in attempt to clear whatever was there, and that seems to help a little bit. But not much. Whatever would clog up my breathing would come back. And it would feel like my chest is really tight. I would keep coughing but then it would make my body itch...for some reason.

Today, I was having a friendly spar with a few friends. After a few minutes, I made a wheezing noise and coughed. The cough sounded wheezy too. I felt very short on breath. I breathed in and out trying to suck in oxygen but it felt like I was holding my breath. My chest was very tight it felt like I was sucking in  tons of air, but only 1/5 made it through. I think I may have Athsma. But none of my family members had it. When i get really active the same thing would happen again. I was practicing about 7 hours ago. And I felt as if something was in my lungs.And even right now, after 7 hours later, there is a certain tightness in my chest. I could feel sometihng in my lungs. I clear my through but nothing comes out. BUt when i breathe in, i can feel it sitting there. And its really annoying me because i cannot breathe. Do i have athsma?
It sounds like a form of asthma. It can be physically induced asthma. You should get checked out right away, though, because of the mold that was in your house. Last year my son and I stayed sick for about 3 months, coughing and stuff and at times it felt like I couldn't breathe. Come to find out, I had black mold in the back floor board of my car from juice my kids had spilled. It grew all over each side. I had to cut out the floorboard and bleach the metal. We cleared up right away and haven't been sick again. Mold is nothing to play around with. It can do crazy thngs to your body over time.

I'll tell you one thing... mold is nasty and you buy test kits to make sure that you have gotten rid of it all. I have seen some people who have been exposed to mold and then ended up with health problems afterwards. IMO, it is important that you see a physician and get properly diagnosed and treated right away. You may want to consider seeing a Naturopath physician as well.

Good luck !

Helloo,
Im 16 and recently caught a cold. I thought the cold was just a normal flu because its the winter and me being me i dont always wear a scarf so its probaly makin it worse. Anyway, past month i have been getting really really tight chest pains where i can hardley breath, and heart pains too, my mum reckoned it was just intagestion.. but i took the tablets, didnt help much. Yes im a smoker, and ive recently had a really bad cough which.. everytime i cough itl get worse il end up gagging ALOT specially inthe mornings, only once ive puked up a lump but because i was half asleep and tired i didnt see it, so idont know if it was lumps of tarr or flem (phlegm) i honestly woudlnt know, but if im near dust il cough alot too.  Im not sure if its ashma, but i use my mums pump, dosent seem tohelp much.
these chest pains arnt always constant.. but i get them every now and then, and it last for hours!
i cough every 5 mins sometimes before then, i honestly need to know what ive got cos im in such bad condintion for my age i swear, ive even got back problems. !
also, if i walk too much im out of breathe and cough till i gag and wish i could shove a hot cup of tea down my throat :(, in this freezin weather is worse cos im breathin in the coldd air which makes me so ill.

any ideas what it could be?please helpp me. i will eventually go doctors but would like answers seemin as i have to wait ages.

thankyouuuuu