Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Sinusitis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chronic Sinusitis

Every Spring for about the past 10 years, I have developed symptoms associated with seasonal allergies...congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc. Within a couple of weeks of developing symptoms, I invariably develop a sinus infection, and I spend my whole Spring in misery. It starts every March, ends sometime in June. An allergist performed a skin test about 4 years ago and it came back negative. He prescribed Flonase & Astelin for my symptoms, these medications have had little if any effect.
Last year was the worst Spring I have endured yet, for 3 months I had a sinus infection, chronic cough, nausea, and overall lethargy.
A co-worker told me his allergist gives him a steroid shot to treat his allergies, and it works wonders for him. I went to his allergist, he performed a series of skin tests which also came back negative. He didn't treat me with steroids, I suppose the negative results on the skin test disqualified me for that treatment.
My questions are:
(1. Just how accurate are these skin tests? I'm not a physician, but I think my history over the past 10 years strongly suggests that I do, indeed, suffer from seasonal allergies.)
(2. Are there any reasons why I may not be a candidate for steroid shots to treat my symptoms? Even if it is just a temporary fix, every day it helps is one less miserable Spring day for me.)
(3. What other medications might be useful in treating my symptoms?)
I can't endure another Spring like last year's, and neither can my co-workers and family. Any suggestions?