Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Concerned about CT scan results

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Concerned about CT scan results

My Ct scan says that I have minimal nodular pleural thickening, what does this mean? I had a CT done in 2009 and this is new. Can anyone tell me what this means? I went for right flank pain that went undiagnosed. I have a family history of lung cancer, so I am kind of concerned. I am 35 years old. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Pleural thickening, nodular or otherwise, can occur with inflammatory and infectious diseases and with tumors (benign and malignant).  Despite your family history of lung cancer you should not assume that this is the likely cause.  What should be done at this time should largely be determined by the exact appearance of this nodular pleural thickening and the opinion of your lung specialist (pulmonologist) about the most likely diagnosis and the urgency (if any) to establish a diagnosis.  This is a moment for a frank discussion, so do not hesitate to request one.

One other consideration at the time of this discussion should be of the diagnostic technique most likely to provide an accurate diagnosis with reasonable certainty.  In many circumstances this can be accomplished with a relatively non-invasive procedure.

If you have had recurrence of the “undiagnosed” right flank pain” this would also be a key moment for your doctors to re-assess that.

Good luck
Thanks for your help. My Family doctor said that it was nothing to worry about, he is a D.O.  He said that it was probably scar tissue from a past infection and nothing to worry about. He never saw the CT just read the report. So I assume he knows what he is talking about, they are still trying to figure out what is causing my right flank pain.