RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
Constant phlegm in throat
by shannonwooten, Apr 10, 2007
For about a year now, it feels like I have phlegm/mucus stuck in my throat and can't completely clear my throat. Also when I cough, its a lil wet and there is phlegm.

When I started to have the problem, I went to the doc and he said it just may be sinuses and sent me on my way... but never went away.

I went to the doc while I was in Basic Training in SC... then went to GA for 4 months... back to FL for a few months (where i use to live) and now I am in NC.... never went away so I don't think it has anything to do with sinuses...?
Member Comments (52)
by coughing like crazy, Apr 11, 2007
Hi, there are a whole bunch of postings under "chronic cough" which seem similar to this.  And some good ideas I am going to try  I have had a constant cough for 3 plus years and for last year it has been phlegmy like yours.  I am always coughing and clearing my throat at meetings like an old man.  Worse in a.m. when I wake up or out in cold walking the dogs.  Or.... talking on the telephone or in a meeting.  Always have a "frog" in my throat.  

Doc originally said it could be asthma, allergies, or acid reflux.  Lung x-ray was okay.  Tested negatively for asthma & allergies.  Taking Zantac 75 but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has now been diagnosed as "non allergic post nasal drip" and doc prescribed saline rinses, a humidifyer for bedroom, spraying Nasonex in my nose at night and continuing on Zantac 75.  So far (2 mos.) symtoms still the same.

He poo-poos food allergies, but that is the next thing I am going to try if this current regimen does not result in improvement over next 2 mos.

Best wishes to you.
by shannonwooten, Apr 11, 2007
Thanks so much...

I don't really have a chronic cough though...
just really the phlegm in the back of my throat... and when i do cough, its to clear out my throat...

Thanks for the response and good luck to you too
by michelle23, Apr 13, 2007
I have the same mucous problem and constant clearing of my throat. I have gone to an ent who thought I had gerd. he prescribed nasonex and prilosec with no help. i have gone to my nutritionist and she feeld it could be  a yeast allergy - candida. google it and see if it would apply to you. i am going to start a strict yeast free diet, start acidophillus, and do some infr-red treatments to detoxify.
i hope it helps.
by shannonwooten, Apr 13, 2007
Hrm. I looked it up but im still sort of unclear of what it is.

I may have it? My tongue is a lil white in the back... constant bad breath... and im not sure but I think I have had a few yeast infections (vaginal)

Sound like it?

If so, can it get worse if not treated? From what I read... it can get bad...

true?

Thanks!
by Animals12, Apr 17, 2007
I've had constant phlegm in my throat for over 2 years. I have been told over and over again that it is my result due to smoking. I've also read that if your a smoker, and you have constant phelgm for about year + after you quit. Basically from all i've tried and come to find, is that its never ending. A little relief is brought from Mucinex, but it REALLY dries me out to the point where I feel a constant bloody nose is about to come!!
I've been tested for throat cancer twice now, and nothing has come up. So i'm personally just trying to ignore the phlegm. Only time its hard is when i'm talking and get a nice large lump of mucus in my way! For some relief though, give Mucinex a try, only take one pill instead of 2 if you think you may be sensitive to the 'dry'effect.
by kambykitten, Aug 27, 2007
I've had constant phlegm for pretty much all my life (24 y.o.). Lived in Texas for 18 years, didn't think anything of it, thought it was normal to have. Went to school in Utah for 5 years and the ENT doctor in Utah told me it was allergies. Gave me Allegra. Helped only a little, still was constant. I read a lot of things online about this subject. Found a lot of information on dairy products causing phlegm. I ceased drinking milk (at the time I drank about 2 gallons a week). Although I couldn't forgo the cheese. Necessity. Phlegm problem went away for the most part. So I attribute 90% of my phlegm to dairy products.
by Jen176, Dec 28, 2007
I had Whooping cough (Pertussis) last December (2006) which left me with a ****-load of problems. Every morning for the past year since I recovered from the Pertussis, I wake up and I'm full of phlegm which makes it hard to breath. I cough/ choke on it and my gag reflex (which has increased since I was sick) kicks in and I throw up phlegm. Throughout the day I have phlegm at the back of my throat and all the way down my airways (which is very uncomfortable btw) and it occasionally comes up on its on or I have to cough it up or I will choke/gag/ and throw it up. People look at me, and I'm not sure that I have a choice in the matter anymore, since it will come up either way (even if I turn white first from holding it in and trying to be polite and not hack it up). I also have trouble digesting foods sometimes. The phlegm gets worse with temperature extremes too.

I have been tossed around from doctor to doctor, using up all my sick and vacation time from work with an hour appointment here and there. I've seen my primary, a gastroenterologist, allergist, ear/nose/throat doctor, an endrocinologist, and now a pulminologist. They all seem to think it's related to my asthma (which I have had forever)/ and the Pertussis which left me injured internally. The pulminologist has given me a steroidal enhaler (Advair) at the max dosage to take bi-daily for the next month or two. It's been a couple of weeks and I don't see any improvement. Does anybody know what this problem might be? Has anyone had a similar experience to this? I really need help because I want to knick this problem in the butt.......It is miserable being 26, so young and living with this.
by dugan390, Sep 04, 2008
Theres not a cure.Theres not even a name for it.Its caused from pollutents in the air.It can be reduced by moving to a place less polluted.this is not opion it is fact.
by FWK, Oct 16, 2008
Hi guys,

I have same problem phlegm in my throat for over 7 months, I cough to clear it out, MY GP said it is from stress since it is white/clear phlegm.
On saturday I got yellow mucus from one nosstril and gP gave me steroid nasal spray, not sure it is working, the thing is the smell taste and with tegh original phlegm is awful and my throat is irritated.

I hate my life now, I thought it is sexual and got tested for everything....twice, i will go back to my GP if this doesn't go in another week.

Take care,
See ya