Respiratory Disorders Community
Constant phlegm in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Constant phlegm in throat

For about a year now, it feels like I have phlegm/mucus stuck in my throat and can't completely clear my throat. Also when I cough, its a lil wet and there is phlegm.

When I started to have the problem, I went to the doc and he said it just may be sinuses and sent me on my way... but never went away.

I went to the doc while I was in Basic Training in SC... then went to GA for 4 months... back to FL for a few months (where i use to live) and now I am in NC.... never went away so I don't think it has anything to do with sinuses...?
Hi, there are a whole bunch of postings under "chronic cough" which seem similar to this.  And some good ideas I am going to try  I have had a constant cough for 3 plus years and for last year it has been phlegmy like yours.  I am always coughing and clearing my throat at meetings like an old man.  Worse in a.m. when I wake up or out in cold walking the dogs.  Or.... talking on the telephone or in a meeting.  Always have a "frog" in my throat.  

Doc originally said it could be asthma, allergies, or acid reflux.  Lung x-ray was okay.  Tested negatively for asthma & allergies.  Taking Zantac 75 but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has now been diagnosed as "non allergic post nasal drip" and doc prescribed saline rinses, a humidifyer for bedroom, spraying Nasonex in my nose at night and continuing on Zantac 75.  So far (2 mos.) symtoms (symptoms) still the same.

He poo-poos food allergies, but that is the next thing I am going to try if this current regimen does not result in improvement over next 2 mos.

Best wishes to you.
Thanks so much...

I don't really have a chronic cough though...
just really the phlegm in the back of my throat... and when i do cough, its to clear out my throat...

Thanks for the response and good luck to you too
Hrm. I looked it up but im still sort of unclear of what it is.

I may have it? My tongue is a lil white in the back... constant bad breath... and im not sure but I think I have had a few yeast infections (vaginal)

Sound like it?

If so, can it get worse if not treated? From what I read... it can get bad...

true?

Thanks!
I have the same mucous problem and constant clearing of my throat. I have gone to an ent who thought I had gerd. he prescribed nasonex and prilosec with no help. i have gone to my nutritionist and she feeld it could be  a yeast allergy - candida. google it and see if it would apply to you. i am going to start a strict yeast free diet, start acidophillus, and do some infr-red treatments to detoxify.
i hope it helps.
I've had constant phlegm in my throat for over 2 years. I have been told over and over again that it is my result due to smoking. I've also read that if your a smoker, and you have constant phelgm for about year + after you quit. Basically from all i've tried and come to find, is that its never ending. A little relief is brought from Mucinex, but it REALLY dries me out to the point where I feel a constant bloody nose is about to come!!
I've been tested for throat cancer twice now, and nothing has come up. So i'm personally just trying to ignore the phlegm. Only time its hard is when i'm talking and get a nice large lump of mucus in my way! For some relief though, give Mucinex a try, only take one pill instead of 2 if you think you may be sensitive to the 'dry'effect.
I've had constant phlegm for pretty much all my life (24 y.o.). Lived in Texas for 18 years, didn't think anything of it, thought it was normal to have. Went to school in Utah for 5 years and the ENT doctor in Utah told me it was allergies. Gave me Allegra. Helped only a little, still was constant. I read a lot of things online about this subject. Found a lot of information on dairy products causing phlegm. I ceased drinking milk (at the time I drank about 2 gallons a week). Although I couldn't forgo the cheese. Necessity. Phlegm problem went away for the most part. So I attribute 90% of my phlegm to dairy products.
I had Whooping cough (Pertussis) last December (2006) which left me with a ****-load of problems. Every morning for the past year since I recovered from the Pertussis, I wake up and I'm full of phlegm which makes it hard to breath. I cough/ choke on it and my gag reflex (which has increased since I was sick) kicks in and I throw up phlegm. Throughout the day I have phlegm at the back of my throat and all the way down my airways (which is very uncomfortable btw) and it occasionally comes up on its on or I have to cough it up or I will choke/gag/ and throw it up. People look at me, and I'm not sure that I have a choice in the matter anymore, since it will come up either way (even if I turn white first from holding it in and trying to be polite and not hack it up). I also have trouble digesting foods sometimes. The phlegm gets worse with temperature extremes too.

I have been tossed around from doctor to doctor, using up all my sick and vacation time from work with an hour appointment here and there. I've seen my primary, a gastroenterologist, allergist, ear/nose/throat doctor, an endrocinologist, and now a pulminologist. They all seem to think it's related to my asthma (which I have had forever)/ and the Pertussis which left me injured internally. The pulminologist has given me a steroidal enhaler (Advair) at the max dosage to take bi-daily for the next month or two. It's been a couple of weeks and I don't see any improvement. Does anybody know what this problem might be? Has anyone had a similar experience to this? I really need help because I want to knick this problem in the butt.......It is miserable being 26, so young and living with this.
Theres not a cure.Theres not even a name for it.Its caused from pollutents in the air.It can be reduced by moving to a place less polluted.this is not opion it is fact.
Hi guys,

I have same problem phlegm in my throat for over 7 months, I cough to clear it out, MY GP said it is from stress since it is white/clear phlegm.
On saturday I got yellow mucus from one nosstril and gP gave me steroid nasal spray, not sure it is working, the thing is the smell taste and with tegh original phlegm is awful and my throat is irritated.

I hate my life now, I thought it is sexual and got tested for everything....twice, i will go back to my GP if this doesn't go in another week.

Take care,
See ya
OMG - I am just overjoyed yet overwhelmed to have just now discovered how so many people are suffering the same symptoms I am having - I thought I was alone - and here we are.  I - too - have undergone most of what is listed above re specialists etc...and NOTHING has helped.  What my struggle is right now - is that I feel the back of my throat "filling up" with phlem...and I know that - as much as I do not want to go through with it - I have to find a bathroom and bend over the sink and the gagging starts automatically and I throw up chunks of clear phlem ...this "ritual" can anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour...  /  Haven't heard my "natural" voice in a long time - it's now always coarse...and after such an episode - I feel drained and weak.  It is now preventing me from going out on outings with friends as I am worried I am going to start gaggin for 30 minutes and they have to hear it! ...not a good feeling.  I am going to try at this time - one sufggestion I just read here - which is to try and stop dairy products - and see what happens - if nothing - will move on to the other suggestions.  I quit smoking in April 2006...one month later - developed Chronic Asthma which is regulated - as best as possible - with Symbicort - and then the phlem problem began...it has gone away for a few months - but returns every time.  Wishing all best of luck and hopefully will find a cure for this accumulation of phlem behind our throats  ~ Me
I've had bad breath most of my life. My throat always feels clogged up with phlegm - I'm always aware of it and I know that it's that that's causing the bad breath because if I swallow it down my bad breath will briefly go away. It always floats back up though and my breath smells, again!!! It's ruining my life because I've just ended up avoiding talking to people, or if I do I try to stay as far away as possible. I cough up these balls of phlegm every other day - especially in the morning and after showering - which stink. The doctor is useless - everytime I go he says it's stomach problems, mouth problems, but he wont believe it's coming from my throat. I've had enough!!!! I just want it to go away so I can get on with my life! I'm gonna try cutting out dairy products but I doubt that will work!
I've been going through similar things, it starts as a thick nasal drip, I snort and snort loudly(as it won't move with a sniffle it just percolates) then when it does drop out of my nose it feels like it's caught in the roof of my mouth, then I hack (it will only clear with. Y mouth open!  I did have gerd so the drainage that did run down the back of my throat got stuck in my throat where the acid reflux cause swelling and inflammation and damage!  Prettynsoon without clearing the throat I start to feel like my neck is puffing!  Sonhacking at different pitches and speed clears different parts.  I've done a regimen of salt water gargles, netipot nasal rinses(excellent) ibuprofen for swelling' scrip for omeprazole for acid reflux and occasionally decongestant!  Sometimes helps! But one reflux flareup and it's one step forward 10 steps back!  Avoid the reflux if that's your root cause" my two cents
Ps sometimes it feels like a dulling fullness or pain buo,dup between my shoulderblades, si liar anyone?
Ps sometimes it feels like a dulling fullness or pain buildup between my shoulderblades, similar anyone?
ITS THE DAIRY! See for your self!!! Stop eating ALL Dairy 100% out of your diet and JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!! Dairy is Poision! We are conditioned at birth to beleive that Dairy is good for us, when it s all government propaganda, greed and the biggest multi billion dollor industry on EARTH! Plus , the animals Suffer a HUGE deal. And we even suffer more.
Hello everyone, I am 28 and i've had the phlegm and caugh problem since I was 15 years old. I've been to the doctor, he says its dry throat so I should have some warm water. I don't smoke or drink, my mum is always having a go at me for not going to doctors but I dont think they know what the problem is. In 2009 I went to Syria on holiday for a month, it was rural area where I stayed, the caugh and  phlegm disappeared till I got back to London. I blame pollution for it.
I suffer from this too. Have been going to doc's for over a year now. Has looked up my nose and always says my sinuses are inflamed, i also suffer from acid reflux and a bit of online research looks like it could be a food allergy -yeast or dairy so I am currently abstaining from both (I am only on day 3 so far - with no difference) . I'll let you know of any change. Also I have an endescopy on March 4th to look down my throat. Not a nice procedure but I've been terrified this is lung or throat cancer so it will be good to confirm or deny it. Good luck people. Mark, Nottingham, UK
I stayed in a hot, dry place (Pretoria and Johannesburg) all my life and had no problems, but whenever I went on holiday to colder, more humid places, I needed to constantly clear my throat. I now live in Auckland (a cold, wet place) and the throat clearing is unbearable. I also have bad breath (although that might just be coffee).
How did it go staying off dairy and yeast?
I have been looking on the Internet for some answers and just don't see anything that really applies to me.  I have had undiagnosed chronic mouth and throat problems for a long time now.  Seen many doctors and had tests run with no diagnosis.  GI doc recently put me on Omeprazole and doubled it last week due to my constant feeling of nausea.  For the past few weeks, I am having problems with phlegm.  I can hack up a little some times but I have a full feeling behind my left sinus, ear feels full then down at the base of my throat. However, my mouth and throat are dry.  ENT doc cannot come up with a cause.  Dentist doesn't see anything although I now have an infected tooth on that side.  This is now constant and so irritating and I often feel like I am going to choke. I can't blow this stuff out or cough it out, other than a little bit once in a while.  Am constantly trying to clear my throat and doc told me to stop doing that. What do you do if you are choking?  I drink fluids all the time, chew gum, etc.  I keep telling them I can feel something on the left side in a triangle from the back of my left sinus to my ear, under my jaw and down my throat.  CAT scans and MRI didn't show anything.  There has to be something going on cause it is getting worse.  I can hardly leave my home and spend a lot of time laying down trying not to swallow.  Anyone had this problem?
i've been having the phlegm in throat problem for months, started all of a sudden, having serious family problems so i'm wondering if stress has anything to do with it. ordered mucus clear and so far no help. don't like taking something i found on line. have no idea whats in it. has anyone tried MUCUS CLEAR? did it help?
I have also had drainage, swollen glans (glands) and some facial pressure for a year off and on. I've concluded that it's most definetly food allergies. It's wheat,dairy, and sugar are the bad guys. When I exclude these bad guys my symptoms are better. The hard part is completely eliminating these foods. I wish there was a magic pill but I think due to the foods being processed and gmo's, these favorite things in my diet need to go.
hi shannon i came across your post and decided to reply. your country if it is the US is constantly being sprayed with chemtrails. we in the uk are now getting a lot more than we used to. i have been the chemist today for something to help soothe the kids thoat as they cannot cough it up like us. guess what they had sold out and it is not a small chemist either. please look it up as we are all being poisoned around the world. no one really looks up at the sky to notice them but if you search chemtrails images you will have a shock. my doctor said to me it's that time of year but they have been spraying for 20 years and she is only 35 so thats all she has known in her life. i hope you havent been unwell this year as i have for the last three and always the same symptoms leading to chest infection. take care and best wishes.
I beleive mine is due to the binders in tablets causing an allergic reaction as I didn't have this before I started having to take medication every day and it gets worse the more tablets I take, so if I take any meds for the symptoms it gets worse or if I take even vitamin supplements as these also have same binders which can be anything added to the medication even talc and all manner of other dubiuos additives
My wife and i are certainly aware of the chem trails as most people here in the US aren't like you say and don't much care even when you try and make them aware. So what can be done?
I have been suffereing from the same problem for the last 10 years, visited doctors so many times, taken a number of antibitics and anti alergies (allergies), but no change. I never experience a cough. But was treated for sinusites.
Hey everyone I have had this problem for around 5 years and I agree that dairy does not help the situation and the thing that really makes mine worse is salt, when I cut back there it goes away at least for a while or it is still there but less drastic and stress definitely males it worse also, I have it really bad while I am typing this and can't sleep because of it but I messed up today and ate pizza now I am paying the price, I hope any of what I said helps!
As someone else mentioned above.... Dairy might be the cause! I suggest all of you to simply cut dairy out of your diets and see what happens. I began getting similar symptoms as many of you. I would wake up in the middle of the night gagging on phlegm which was not pleasant to cough up, never mind the horrific sounds I'd make. I went to my doc and she said it's common - called it post nasal drip, she suggested I take Mucinex. Well I was not looking for a fix by meds, I wanted to know the what was causing it and I wanted a cure. A few months later, for other reasons like just wanting to eat healthy blah blah blah, I happen to go on a diet of no meats or dairy, its been 1.5 years and life changing! I do eat meats on holidays and i allow myself to eat parmesan once a month on pasta. What I noticed almost immediately though, was that the phlegm drip and gagging at night stopped completely! Every now and then I allow myself to eat a piece or 2 of cheese pizza, or like I did the other day when I had company visiting, a root beer float! Need I say what happens next? Yep! I wake up with the gagging phlegm! Bingo! So it's clearly not the meat but the dairy, at least it is for me! No dairy, not phlegm! Reading the posts listed here of folks having a much much more terrible time with phlegm than I had, I can only say you all would be foolish not to give it a try. It's not hard to do guys, I get non-dairy coconut milk for my coffee and I even get non-dairy coconut ice cream which is absolutely delish! What else can I say! Good Luck!
I have had a Phlegm problem for the last 18 months (Open Heart Surgery with  Congestive Heart Failure).  I have been on a number of medications that I believe have caused this problem along with dry mouth when I sleep. I also have drug-induced Lupus that mimics Rheumatoid Arthritis mainly in my fingers and wrists that moves around about every 3 days. There are an awful lot of side effects that go along with drugs. Please do the research. There has to be a reason.
Hi Jen,

I to have had Whooping Cough, however a year later than you (2007), and after two sinus surgeries I am still feeling its after effects years later.

You described my symptoms almost exactly, especially when you mentioned,
"throughout the day I have phlegm at the back of my throat and all the way down my airways".  
This is what really is troubling me the most because not only is it uncomfortable as you said, but  it frequently makes me think that one day it will get so bad that I might not get a breath in!

I have mastered "trying" to clear my throat without making it so obvious (but I do it discretely more for my sake as not to hurt my throat ) as I have  learnt on a number of occasions that forcing it to come out is counterproductive  and can make the feeling 'of something stuck' even worse.

I am really hoping that somehow you have cured this dreadful ailment and that you are willing to share some words of wisdom. (Hope you are still in contact with this thread).

Please let me know either way.

Regards

Steve
I don't want to be wrong or sound scary here, but there is a condition out there, which is almost always misdiagnosed, but it exist. It called CSF Leak. Basically, we all have spinal fluid and our head serves sort of retainer of the overflow of this liquid. The liquid constantly flowing from the spine to the head, basically, working circle. The spinal fluid liquid in the head located on the left side in the cerebellum area, and sometime the tissue which covers the brains and holds this liquid in place (Dura), can begin leaking, and very often down the throat. In most cases treatment is rather simple. What Dr (brain surgeon, neurologist or anesthesiologist) can do what is calls "blood patch," which is basically a procedure when your own blood drawn a d injected near the affected area (neck, in this case). As blood clots, any minor holes or penetrations in Dura tissue clog up for good. Have this chat with your Dr., they all know it. Look up the symptoms and, while I hope no e of you have it, but Good Luck to all
I have same problem and also some flu-like symptoms. When I went to my ENT doc, he was busy and I had no appointment . I asked to see a specific Nurse-Practioner who I had faith in. She recommended an old -time remedy - a sinus rinse. Those are plastic bottles to hold the  powder used to make a solution with warm water. If possible I will answer your inquiry with more details. Email me, please.
A year later but I've just read your note and have to wonder and agree that polution is the root cause.  Two month ago I was in Colorado and experienced no symptoms whatsoever -- even eliminated all meds.  Now back home in Florida, I'm back on the meds with no improvement.  Thanks for your encouraging word.  B. A.
I THINK I HAVE THIS PROBLEM.. REALLY   I have felt that I had meningitis in January of 2012. I went to Knoxville to an ear, nose, and throat specialist, but nothing had been  confirmed.  Then most very recently, I have been taking Ceflaxin for Lyme's disease.  and the same process started.  Coughing and unable to catch my breath unlesss I spit up mucous, and tons and tons of it.   So, now I am getting the back of the neck sharp pains and the cold is getting worse, and the throwing up is persisting.  And my nose feels as though the tissue is dead, but the back of my head hurts so bad.  Just in the past month, after I started taking the pills.   But the Lyme's with the fevers of over 100  never got to be registered as the fevers came and went and every Summer they got worse.  But the Lyme's has been caught, although I have been bitten by hundreds of mosquitos.....not just ticks.  the Deer tick disease is really bad if you live in Maryland.  The medicine must have caused this phlegm clearing of a really ancient infection that mutated into the walls of my tissue in my lungs perhaps.  Now I feel better but have to someday get treatment for this.  Really, what has helped is constant Epsoms baths...and tea, and vinegar teaspoons with the mother. Hopefully when I stop the antibiotics it will cease, but I am definitely going to check the spinal fluid theory.  Thank you,
Hello c2sbi and Jen176. I  I have the same problem as you two and it is driving me crazy. My problem started when I had my tonsils removed. I am constantly hacking all day long trying to get the phlegm out. There are times when the phlegm is so bad that I almost feel like I can't breathe.  
Hi, I've been having for a few months. I have lupus diagnosed 20 yrs ago. I occasionly get pleurisy attacks, they're vry painful. During these attack I feel that I can't get a breath in bcuz of the swelling in the pleural lining around. At times I feel like I can't I can't move well, it gives then sense that someone is stabbing in the chest. As the symptoms subsides I end with the constant phlegm, it is quite bothersome to be constantly clearing, my throat, somtimes my throat mucus doesnt  drink or eat throut it's bothersome . My doc gives me for medoral dose pack, and prilosac which helps eliviate the sWelling. My voice has changed to a rasp one. And when this happens I start panicking, major which makes it worse. But anyways I've been given a steroid dose pack prilosac and an anxiety . These were helpful problem sub seeded. You should try probiotics once a day, I'm not a doctor but probiotic is vitamin, but check with your GP or ENT
Last night I went to the ER with phlem and nose mucus.  Same problems as listed by most above.  All testings continue to come back as normal.  I have never smoked but always suffered from allergies in the dry environments.  I now live in North Carolina and have been living perfectly fine without allergy meds for the past 8 years.  We (for various reasons) have acquired 4 different dogs.  Throughout the past 5 years our carpets have been abused by so many dogs and I'm not referring to wear and tear.  Despite immediate cleaning, the odor became to be overwhelming.  We made the choice of pulling all the carpets from the 1st floor.  When carpets were pulled (we vacuumed before removing carpets) a strong odor penetrated the air and tons of dust floated as well.  As of that day, I have not been able to clear my  Symptoms.  I have been given all sorts of prescriptions that do nothing to give me relief.  Last night the ER diagnosed me bronchitis and gave me a breathing treatment and the spray that people use when they have Asthma.
So far, no relief!  Our house is covered with dust including the walls.  We still need to do the rest of the floors that are unfinished.  My symptoms are pretty bad right now; therefore, I need to leave the house until this do-it-yourself project is completed.  I want to temporarly head to a different state and see if the environment clears me up.
Hi, I think I have a hunch to what this is. First ENTs don't know too much about bacterial or fungal infections. Have you ever had an infection in your sinuses before? Or a bad cold/flu that created some infection?
I've had this problem quite a few years back.  A doctor explained that when phlegm builds up in my throat and does not go down, that fibers in my throat them push the phlegm upwards until I cough for re-swallow (a-hem).

He prescribed a medicine (sorry, I don't recall the name) that causes the fibers in the throat to go numb, which forces the phlegm to only go down.  I used this medicine for about a week and the problem was gone.  This solution worked for me.
I don't eat dairy and I have it!
Sounds like we have the same problem.  Do you by chance remember if the medication was Lidocaine?  

Did you actually get numbness in your throat/mouth area after taking the medication? How long did you take the medication and the problem never came back?

Thanks,
I had the same problem for 5 month now . The doctor told me I have post nasal drip .He described me avamys nasal spray and sinomarine .now after 6 weak I'm better .mucinex helped too . I also had sore throat 3or4times a weak but I think this was because of a dental problem . It has improved after I treated my tooth .
The continuous mucous May also be due to G.I.T reflux so you may see a doctor but don't give up .
hi all
just read through all - I share symtoms (symptoms) - had it all my life(62yrs)
bout time I did something about it:-)
from this thread I have gleaned - maybe cut out dairy. Possibly this drug Talak is on about.
my further complication is snoring & I think has some association - complicated by the fact I enjoy a drink
will give the chop out the dairy ago.....tough to do...& will report back
Hi all!

I'll be short.
Same symptoms for 10 years now.
First time I realized I had something like this was on the cruise ships. I was working there already for 2 years.

I was hearing some guys clearing their throats in the bathroom like it was their last breath, but sometimes. now I get to that point too.

Environment [when I got it]
1. Cruise ships
2. Tropical environment
3. Air conditioning [massive]
4. Huge mass of people

1. Grew up in the mountains [never had problems with health]
2. Gone back in vacation, situation almost cleared

Symptoms:
1. Phlegm at the back of the throat
2. Morning spit brownish
3. Feeling like the uvula is not doing what it suppose to do
4. Really dry throat in the morning
5. Snoring! I never had this problem. Now I snore like a bear.

Possible causes [in my case]:
1. Some bug in the AC
2. Too much cold/hot change going in and out of AC environment
3. Picking nose because too dry

Possible remedies [natural ones]:
Ok. I look at remedies as eliminating the causes. I think it's the best way. This is what I do and it works for me.

1. I stopped picking my nose.
Even the smallest finger in the nose scratches the interior of it and causes bleeding. The bleeding is like a pinhole in a water pipe. It's not red blood. It's liquid that leaks for a long period of time and accumulates in the throat because it's the natural way to flow. In the evening before I go to bed, I take a drop of cooking oil and dab it inside the nostrils. One drop each. That coats them and keeps any leak, stopping them. Plus, it loosens the mucus in a dry nose and clears the way.

2. I was snorkeling or going deep in salt ocean water without the gear and I noticed that every time when I was done and bending to dry my hair, my nose would literally run like a waterfall. At that time I was stupid to not understand that my sinuses were clearing, so I was stopping the process embarrassed. Now I would love to catch a situation like that.

3. Tried flu and cough medications. The worst scenario. It dry my respiratory ways, the loungs felt heavy and short of breath. Stupid... If a car runs out of gas, you don't put diesel in it...

So, That was for me and I hope it help you too.
By the way: exercise helps a lot because it puts your entire system in balance. Not heavy exercise, but let's say twice that you're doing right now... And if you don't do, it's time to start.

:)
PS
I grow up all my life with dairy and never had problems like this. So, no dairy in my case...
So after multiple doctors including an ENT I found out my phlegm problem in the throat is caused by acid reflux or in my case silent reflux which feels like post nasal drip. I got a prescription for acid reflux and I also used Prilosec but what helped the most by far are these simple things:

- Pro-biotic pills (14 billion cultures) one pill, once a day

- High pH alkaline water. Icelandic bottled water is 8.8 pH as well as Evamor. Look for any bottled water of 8 or higher pH.

- Limit intake of coffee and alcohol.  I only drink one cup of coffee a day and when I drink alcohol it's only white wine or vodka. For me beer real brings up the phlegm in the throat.

- DO NOT eat 4 hours before going to bed.

Since I simultaneously did all these at once I'm not too sure if any work better than he others but together it seems to be helping so far.
I was diagnosed with broccial infection and since then been suffering from Post nasal drainage. This was years ago. I stay away from  dairy and is taking Aliplex from dr and it helped some..at first. Now and also then, it feels like I have a lump in my throat. I can actually feel the drainage and has to spit it out regardless of where I am. It is disgusting and I am trying everything, non-meds. My primary tried to prescribe me with meds that had all sorts of wild side affects. I use nasal spray that helps a little. I even tried allergy meds like Claritin-no good. My main lacking step is drinking at least eight glasses of water. I really wants to get rid of this problem. Due to the thickness, I have upchucked a few times and has developed a phobia of clearing my throat. Sad.
MAYBE I CAN HELP?

I'm not exactly sure on the time, I think I had some light coughs around age 20, 21 and that was a side effect of my Blood Pressure medication.

I was able to link it almost completely to the foods I ate. Now think about this for a minute. It was around that time in my life when GMO's started becoming all our produce. And I'm sorry to say even though the studies done showed it cause tumors or cancer inside mice at alarming numbers, they still went along with it. Eat a store bought tomato then eat a homegrown natural organic tomato it will blow your mind (if you didn't like tomatoes before you will then), same goes for all other produce. And Its not just the taste, its the color, texture, smell. Its almost so fake its recycled paper transformed I mean come on people. But Ill be honest and say they don't give me this phlegm issue they are just are horrible product made by a company that contracted with the military who also created "Agent Orange" that was used in Vietnam to kill just about everything and continues to do so today. I want real food not fake food D&Mnt. (interesting fact: my dad had a military PT outfit, one i was young i took a look at the tag and it said 99% Cotton 1% Agent Orange) what that's all about i wouldn't know but logic tells me is they probably did that thinking it would get the soldiers acclimated to a chemical they may or may not be exposed to hoping to lesson chances of visual exposure. Any way moving right along.......

When I ingest something that has ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS OR CORN SYRUP and products containing PRESERVATIVES found in almost anything some more than others, I'm not sure If the BPA from canned goods cause me phlegm issues because i try to buy fresh. It can be expensive but its almost like buying your medicine at the same time. The worst reaction or attacks tend to come from FAST FOOD and microwavable meals. By experience I don't feel it so much the microwave as it is all the extra preservatives those meals get dosed with.

(FUN FACT: Do you know what they use to keep shredded cheese from sticking together? WOOD PULP)

If you haven't tried this on your road to helping your situation, give it a shot. I feel so much better when I make a meal from scratch or at least cook a meal my self using only canned or fresh items. I like to make BASIL Pesto Pasta because it tastes so good its also healthy for you as well. Basil has many benefits especially for the hear and lungs.

I've don things like cut salt or sugar out of my diet completely only to have headaches or feeling weak from eating only vegies without meat. So I'll make a good Beef Stew or something like that well seasoned every once in a while to maintain balance. Because believe it or not your body need salt, iodine, sugars, fats, proteins, etc. The trick is balance and moderation.

I find taking a stomach ACID REDUCER at night before bed or when other wise needed, also making sure I don't over eat or go without eating I wont have phlegm issues, throat clearing, etc.

What I do at home is simply use a special ALLERGENIC AIR FILTER for my central air, they cost more but they work much better and your prolonging the life of your A/C.

When I'm having issues that are worse or "an episode"  I spend that excruciating 30-60 minutes of excessive fluid, phlegm, choking doing what I can to get all I can out even if it triggers a gag reflux and have to throw up even all that seeps inside my nose. I know It just comes right back but I'll do it until I fill its isn't so heavy and when i can safely keep something down. I do this because I then take an ANTI-ACID (the calcium chews) with constant sips of water until I go through about 20ounces minimum then......comes.... the

SECRET WEAPON: QUALITY PICKLES OR OLIVES.

For me the work to cut through the phlegm the same way a menthol cough drop cuts though a cough. Not sure why but they are just soft enough to go down easy, while just hard enough to agitate any build up of phlegm and the brine liquid that's full of electrolytes seem to break it down further. I and instantly feel better but a cure.

I would recommend having regular checkups with your doctor including urinalysis and blood work. Which is usually basic tests to check your health, this would include things like liver function, kidney function, white cell count, etc. But if your sexually active you should probably have them test for that to but its not automatically done when you go for lab work, you have to tell them you want those tests done too. This way they pull enough samples, to run everything. Some illnesses including STD's will stay dormant only to show on a later test, that's why its important to have tests done regularly.

There are other things that can cause this issue, off the top of my head I would say a suspect would be yeast infection. Ill mention a little about that then Ill let you go cause this is getting long. CANDIDA is a bacteria or a "yeast" that naturally lives inside you, it has its benefits but sometimes it can get out of control leaking into your blood stream and cause problems. It thrives on the sugar you eat and If I'm not mistaken i think it is what causes you to be flatulent. And when you die it is what decomposes you from the inside out. I know this yeast hates APPLE-CIDER VINEGAR and GARLIC. Also eating good bacteria for your digestion such as ACTIVIA YOGURT. That could be a remedy if CANDIDA is your problem.

Thank you for reading my contribution, I welcome all replies and communication. I hope this helps you and if it does PRETTY PLEASE let me know about it so I can say "ah we're on to something here!"