Respiratory Disorders Community
Copd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Copd

If your chest xray and your breathing test came back fine is there a possibilty of having copd?
Do you smoke? Do you cough up mucous every day? I've read up that to qualify for COPD you must cough up mucous for at least 3 months over two consecutive years. Do you suffer a lot of chest infections like pneumonia or acute bronchitis?  If your pulmonary function test came back fine and your x-ray was clear, then you may just have the warning signs of COPD. Now would be a good time to quite and you will most likely enjoy good health the rest of your days. If you continue to smoke and do have COPD your lungs will deteriorate much faster then someone who doesn't smoke and has COPD. I have asthma and I cough up mucous every day too, so there are more causes then COPD that can cause these types of symptoms.
If your chest xray and breathing test both came back normal, then you do not have COPD. I was given a chest xray and breathing test in 07. Both were not normal and I was diagnosed with moderate COPD. My family doctor ran these tests and I also got a second opinion from a pulmonary doctor. Someone with COPD does not always have the symptoms. But as Victorieh stated, usually there are certain symptoms that a person will have over a consecutive period of time. Personally for me, before diagnosis my symptoms were tightness in my chest and coughing. Plus, there was some mucus as well. But, if these tests came back fine, then my opinion is you are fine as well. If you still are worried about the possiblity of some type lung problem, then discuss your concerns further with your doctor. Best of luck to you. Wish I had of aced my chest xray and breathing test....LOL. But, I am very happy for you.