Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Deep breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Deep breath
I have began to notice a strange sensation for about the last year, mostly first thing in the morning.  I do not have any lung problems Im aware of, no asthma, etc.  Im 27 and other than a little anxiety and costochondritis??  Im pretty healthy.  However, for around a year I have noticed when I get up especially(more noticeable) that if i take a deep breath, or yawn, near the top of the breath i feel what i perceive as a crackle, almost rumble type sensation in my chest(lungs?)  It will do it each time I take a deep breath only near the end of it, and usually not as noticeable during the day.  It is not painful, but is new and unusual so I wondered it that symptom sounded like anything unusual.  I recently had a cxr for another problem, and nothing abnormal was noted, would that be a good diagnostic way to evaluate this, or does it even need to be evaluated considering the amount of time it has been happening?  I do not wheeze and no cough, productive or otherwise really.  Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
A normal chest X-ray taken about one year after the onset of your symptom suggests that this is not a serious problem.  I would recommend a review of your X-ray with special attention to the area where the crackle/rumble seems to be coming from.

From your description, it appears that you can reproduce this sensation at will.  I suggest that you see a pulmonary specialist if you would like to have this evaluated further.  While this specialist is examining you, reproduce this crackle/rumble.
The key words here are "not as noticeacble during the day". This makes it very hard to convince a doctor that there is a problem.  I have had the exact same symptoms since I had reconstruction surgery 18 months ago following a mastectomy. After that surgery I ran fever and fought with pneumonia, a result, the doctor said of the surgery being so long and it being my 4th surgery in a year. But this strange sensation, as you describe it perfectly, a crackle, almost rumble type sensation in my chest, persisted. I would tell my oncologist, who I see every six months, and my primary care physician, but they always said my lungs sounded fine. It was always more noticeable in the morning when I would first get up. I could not "make it happen" for the doctor. Amost as if laying down for the night was the cause of it. This week when I started coughing up stuff (and I don't have a cold) I went to my doctor again. She said I was wheezing (which I wasn't aware of)and diagnosed bronchitis. She did an x-ray to confirm her diagnosis and the x-ray showed emphysema. I had an x-ray done just 9 months ago and it wasn't apparent on that one. So now my question  is, if this has been the cause of this strange rumbling sensation, why wasn't it on the x-ray 9 months ago? Is there a better tool to look for it? As a personal note, I am not a smoker. However I have been exposed to a lot of second hand smoke.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker