Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Difficulty recovery from Pertussis

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Difficulty recovery from Pertussis

Background:  Early last August I began to experience extreme chest-tightness/ malaise and was diagnosed with Whooping Cough.  My GP did not prescribe anti-biotics, because he said that at that stage in the illness, they would be ineffective.  I am a 21 year old, non-smoking, male who normally exercises 5 days a week.  I began to feel better after 2.5 weeks of almost total bed-rest, and began to return to a normal schedule, which included moving back to College.  After 10 days of feeling almost symptom free, I woke up in the middle of the night with what was diagnosed a week later (after a trip to ER and a chest x-ray) as Pneumonia.  The ER doctor prescribed anti-biotics, and I again began to feel much better.  About two weeks later, I woke up feeling extremely congested and ill.  A week went by (now mid-September) before I visited my GP, who suspected sinusitis.  A limited CT scan confirmed I had a "severe" sinus infection, which was treated with Augmentin XR.  I began to get better, more slowly this time, and went through a phase of "good days" and "bad days."  I never really felt like I got completely over it.  Often, although I did not have any difficulty breathing (my chest did not feel particularly tight), my lungs felt very irritable, and I felt like my lungs were vibrating when I spoke.  
These are not uncommon symptoms associated with a sinus infection.  The treatment for a sinus infection is often not successful the first time.  Sometimes the opening of the sinus is blocked and the fluid does not go away.  When that happens you get temporary relief and then it comes back again.  The chest irritability can be related to the pneumonia, coughing and/or the sinus infection.  If these symptoms persist, another visit to your physician is needed.
Current:  I caught a cold from a parent over Christmas break, and had sore throat, etc.  However, once those symptoms seemed to be resolving, I started coughing up clear mucus, but my chest still did not feel tight.  Then, last week, I stopped coughing up the mucus, but my chest began to feel extremely irritated, I also began to feel a bit "run-down".  I have also had some diaphram soreness.  I have exercised 3 times this week, and my lungs feel fine during exersion.  In fact, I feel better after I run a bit.  I have had 2 pulmonary function tests done, both of which revealed I had above average function, and no asthma.  I do, however, have allergies in an area of the country in which they are particulary bad.  This whole ordeal has been extremely frustrating.  I am wondering whether it could be the residual effects of the Pertussis?  I also thought exercise could be a good way to build myself back up again by exercising?  As someone who is used to being an athlete, I eat an extremely healthy diet, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, and also take a multivitamin.  I would appreciate any insight on the problems I have experienced.  Thanks.
It is becoming all to clear that drugs are limited in effectiveness when it comes to fighting pneumonia or bronchitis. Antibiotics are the answer as far as doctors are concerned.
But I came across this ebook that opened my eyes to a lot of the things and help me understand the subject. I was having difficulty dealing with it because I didn